Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS

Started by theis, Dec 23, 2011, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

no it's not, it's laziness

from_musings

lindelof's and ridley's intention was probably to make a movie where people talk about it afterwards,what it meant or about what happend in it "what was that all about? dig this,maybe it was.."

most talk seem to be weather it was a great or a shitty movie.no theories and that's sad. i like ambiguity though, and therefore lindelofs storytelling

Jacob

just got back from the theater. I never go watch movies these days, but Prometheus felt like it could be worth it. and it sure was. absolutely loved it.

sure, there were some plot holes and some things felt a bit off. for example, how come David's head and body were lying close to each other on the floor of the ship after it had crashed, and rolled around? could be pure luck, but felt pretty lazy. still, these things were pretty minor and didn't really affect the overall feel of the movie.

as a big Alien fan and one who often ponders on questions like why are we here, were we put here, is there life someplace else and so on, this movie obviously spoke directly to me. and I'm a sucker for ambiguity and not having everything laid out in front of me and explained in every little detail.

these days people can't think for themselves though, and often blame their stupidity or lack of imagination on the writers being lazy.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Jacob on Jul 12, 2012, 12:21 AM
as a big Alien fan and one who often ponders on questions like why are we here, were we put here, is there life someplace else and so on, this movie obviously spoke directly to me. and I'm a sucker for ambiguity and not having everything laid out in front of me and explained in every little detail.

these days people can't think for themselves though, and often blame their stupidity or lack of imagination on the writers being lazy.
well said, that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Penicks

spoilers ahoy

explain to me why every single character sucked

explain why david poisoned that one dude

explain to me why a secondary character like that black captain suddenly knew what the aliens were

and so forth

if i have to ask myself these questions, i generally come to the conclusion that the movie kind of sucked dick

"WEL MAYB U HAV TO CUM TO URE OWN CONCUSLION IDORT" is kind of cheap actually

might be me of course, for example i hated 2001 from the moment the dude started tripping through space

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Penicks on Jul 12, 2012, 11:40 AM

Yes, please.
And after he saw a worm coming out from his eyes, why did he go out and act like he is ok?
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Jacob

might be me of course, for example i hated 2001 from the moment the dude started tripping through space

well, there you have it. not trying to be offensive, but these kind of movies aren't for everyone. and I'm not saying I'm smarter than you, I'm just more interested in coming up with theories and discussing the meaning of things I guess.

to answer your questions, this is what I can come up with from the top of my head (might not remember every little detail from the movie):

the characters weren't all fleshed out, I agree. but in the end, if you like a character or not is mostly personal opinion and may be based on an endless number of underlying things. in this kind of movie though, some characters are supposed to be "filler", nothing more. the main characters, ie David, Shaw, Weyland and Vickers were pretty good in my opinion.

David acted under orders from Weyland, and the entire point of him going on this mission is because he wanted to find something to help him live longer. we know from before than the Weyland corp is willing to risk peoples lives to reach their goals. and Weyland told David to poison that dude to see what happened to him, simple as that. it was an experiment. the reason why David chose that dude might've been because he was kind of an ass towards David from the beginning.

not sure what you mean with "that black captain suddenly knew what the aliens were". I don't remember him explaining what the aliens were. if you mean the part where he said that the planet was a military outpost containing weapons of mass destruction, well then it was a pretty well educated guess. we don't know that that's what it actually was, but from their perspective it was pretty obvious and after what happened and what they saw, pretty much anyone in the crew could have come to the same conclusion. add to that that the captain probably has a military background, and the scenario is pretty recognizable from his point of view. it doesn't mean that the theory is correct, and we will probably find out more in a sequel.

Jacob

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Jul 12, 2012, 11:54 AM

Yes, please.
And after he saw a worm coming out from his eyes, why did he go out and act like he is ok?

he might've simply thought that he was imagening it. they were probably under a shitload of stress and it's only natural to think that your mind plays tricks on you under such circumstances. when he got worse, he was pretty quick to realize he was sick and needed help. he didn't try to tough it out or act like nothing's wrong, as opposed to a lot of characters infected with something in a number of other movies.

lostpilot

yes, david poisoning the dude is a very bad loophole.
not explained at all, and it does change pretty much, amirite?

bright lights, big city

He also had it coming for being such a dick to an android.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Penicks

every character was a dick

i also hated how fake old weyland looked, i could accept it with jared leto in mr nobody because mr nobody was a great picture, but in here it added to my frustration

maybe i was too hyped up. alien is one my favorite franchises and when i heard 'prequel-in-the-same-universe-ish' and 'ridley scott' in the same sentence i got quite the boner

the birth of the alien at the end was like a slap in the face too, it was like, LOL HERES URE ALIEN U DUMB CUNT GUESS DIS MOVIE IS 2DEEP4U

but i am glad you enjoyed it jacob, hopefully ridley will patch things up in the sequel

Jacob

I generally think it's a problem in pretty much every movie coming out these days that the characters are unrealistic. one of the main reasons I rarely enjoy movies, in fact.

they're usually stupid as all fucking hell and completely selfish. especially in horror movies, which has always been my favorite genre. these days I can barely stand horror movies though, I'm so sick of the plot moving forward simply because people are making idiotic choices.

I didn't think Prometheus had too much of that however. two things bothered me though: the guys getting lost (how professional is that?), and Vickers not letting the infected guy on board. with all that fancy equipment, surely they'd have sufficient means to put him in quarantine.

Penicks

oh yeah those dudes

first they barely hear a pin drop and they're scared shitless and want to leave asap

fifteen minutes later they're actually FUCKING PLAYING WITH HUGE ALIEN WORMS LIKE IT'S NOTHING

rock_n_frost

Quote from: lostpilot on Jul 12, 2012, 04:22 PM

Amirite? You mean ''who is in charge'' ?

Quote from: Jacob on Jul 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
two things bothered me though: the guys getting lost (how professional is that?), and Vickers not letting the infected guy on board. with all that fancy equipment, surely they'd have sufficient means to put him in quarantine.

No dude, lets burn him..Wohooo.
Yeah it was stupid

lostpilot

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Jul 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on Jul 12, 2012, 04:22 PM

Amirite? You mean ''who is in charge'' ?

You clearly don't know internet slang.

Amirite = "am I right, yeah?"

rock_n_frost

holy shit,sorry
Amir means ''giving order'' in arabic thats why..

lostpilot

dictatesofreason

fuckin awesome movie thou it added more questions to the mythos than it answered.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

The other day on a french website there was 10 minutes extra of deleted scenes.Sadly I couldnt see it but I heard those scenes are coming on the Blu-Ray,I dont know about DVD.

wither-I

this movie was most hilarious. one of the laziest movies ever made. nonsensical and just bad. but in comedy, one of the best

"coming into the nearness of distance"