Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

SNW + DE + Change & Minerva & Knife Party [INSTRUMENTALS]

Started by Vesanic, May 05, 2012, 11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m

I've read in an interview with Stef and Chi form SNW era that Frank made 2 songs on SNW but they didn't make it to the album. I would post this interview but it's in Polish

snw9

Quote from: m on Aug 09, 2012, 02:04 PM
I've read in an interview with Stef and Chi form SNW era that Frank made 2 songs on SNW but they didn't make it to the album. I would post this interview but it's in Polish

Do you mind translating it for us and posting it please? Specifically the SNW stuff and any details Frank mentioned about the songs.

Perhaps those two songs are in the Bob ezrin demos we got, I'll have to check it out.
Code: [Select]

m

It was the only thing about Frank's work. There is more about how they work on songs, some SNW details: Chi wrote the Konami Code and Stef play drums there, also Stef wrote Cherry Waves drum part but Abe played it on the album. The interview is very honest, Stef mentions the meeting at late 2005 were they discussed kicking Chino from the band. Also Chi mentions that in Mein Serj wrote the vocals for the whole song but Chino cut almost everything from it. I could translate the whole thing but it will take some time.

Vesanic

Remember reading about that, I think Serj's vocals included screamings and high notes.

BillyNo.9

Lot of people here love karaoke by the look of it...

deftoneseba

Quote from: SomeOf on Aug 07, 2012, 07:16 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 07, 2012, 01:24 AM
Production on the vocals totally killed Frank's work.

This is why, for me, Terry Date is THE guy.
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.

snw9

Quote from: m on Aug 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
It was the only thing about Frank's work. There is more about how they work on songs, some SNW details: Chi wrote the Konami Code and Stef play drums there, also Stef wrote Cherry Waves drum part but Abe played it on the album. The interview is very honest, Stef mentions the meeting at late 2005 were they discussed kicking Chino from the band. Also Chi mentions that in Mein Serj wrote the vocals for the whole song but Chino cut almost everything from it. I could translate the whole thing but it will take some time.

Hmm I remember reading about having Chino kicked out of the band.  There was one interview with Steph and Chino together and Steph said something like "we were thinking about kicking Chino out of the band...." I appreciate your help, I really wanted to know the SNW details since I love the album so much. Thanks!

snw9

Quote from: deftoneseba on Aug 10, 2012, 03:26 AM

Terry date is great but I liked the new vocal approach Chino took on SNW but not as much on Diamond Eyes. I think its time for a change again after this new record that comes out.

Vesanic

She meant production wise, mainly.

cheachea

You can really hear Frank's part in 976-Evil in the instrumental. I've had that keyboard part (Chorus) stuck in my head for a few days since i listened to instrumental. I can't really hear it that much on the cd version.
Poyt Chops

Alectwin

Many thanks Vesanic or Vesanique (???)...you do a very great work...as always!

Keep goin' ;)

Knucklestones

I fixed up the Beware instrumental a little bit in Audacity.
http://www.mediafire.com/?3n6gqa8ry494hdf

scatterbrain

good god.I have not been to these forums in a few years.Something told me to come check it out again.Big thanks to everyone who shared.these are awesome.
im me and thats all ill ever be

Smog

Thank you so much for all the sharing!!!!  :) :) :)

snw9

Quote from: Knucklestones on Aug 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
I fixed up the Beware instrumental a little bit in Audacity.
http://www.mediafire.com/?3n6gqa8ry494hdf

Thanks!
Yeah the intro is definitely louder than original but then its gets lower, anyway just to keep it loud like the intro?
YSTB has a low intro too

Knucklestones

So no one has found anything else yet? I need to search deeper than just Google.    :)

ImAroundTheFur

wow... this is a treasure trove of rare shit! thank you SO MUCH! i used to be the one scouring the internet and providing this kind of stuff for everyone on nuno's site... that was 10 years ago and man, times have changed. major props to all of you for being so nice and providing this stuff for all of us to enjoy.

now, this has been bothering me for 12 years and i was hoping the Change 7 track mastering cd would finally answer my question, but it hasn't. on the album version (which is the version we all know and love from WP), what is the loud POP at 1:40 when the 2nd chorus kicks in? i think it's the vocal track but i cant be sure. i thought it was an over modulation on the snare, but listening to all the reference tracks, i can tell it's def not the drums. i only listened to snippets of the different versions from the 7 track, so i didn't listen intently, but it seems like they were using a few different vocal tracks when determining the best mix.

if anyone can answer what the fuck that popping sound is, you get major, major kudos.

Far away

First of all, this:

Quote from: mothraw on Aug 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
I wanna thank everyone who shared those instrumentals.you guys brought this boards name back so much.listening to the songs gets me way more into what they really are...pure beauty.

and this:

Quote from: deftoneseba on Aug 10, 2012, 03:26 AM

Dudes, this kind of topic reminds me why this place is great. Thanks djzap and V for the generosity to share this with us.
And... it's really nice to finally see Frank receiving his (well deserved) credit.

edit: oh, just forgot. Now I'm drooling for an instrumental version of Hexagram. I just want to hear Franks part loud, so bad!!!!!

bewareofrats

Dang those instrumental albums are nice.  Diamond Eyes and SNW are fantastic.  Diamond Eyes (the song) is way better to me as an instrumental.  I know very simply why, the chorus.  Never liked that as a Deftones chorus.  It really makes you appreciate the album in a different way.  So many details on DE you miss with vocals.  Not that it's better without vocals of course.

Thanks again for these, whoever it was that uploaded them.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

IN WAVES

Thank you very much for sharing all the instrumentals, and the alternate tracks. Frank is amazing. I could always hear him doing his thing in the background, but I couldn't always make out the sounds. These songs sound amazing as instrumentals. :)

Someone let me know if S/T instrumental tracks ever get released. That's their greatest album, in my opinion.