Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Wire

Started by chick de la lynch, Jul 20, 2012, 01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

I HAD to make this thread since the past couple of days I've been making a bevy of Wire references. I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread devoted to this amazing television show.

I just started Season 4. Great start so far but the big shocker for me?

[spoiler]When Stringer Bell died at the end of Season 3. I know the characters on this show aren't immune from dying but DAMN! I was anticipating him making it longer in the show. Still amazing television. I know Omar Little dies, so I'm just waiting for that shoe to drop.[/spoiler]

bright lights, big city

I've been rewatching with a few friends. This weekend we might start season 5. You were surprised by 3's finale, wait for 4. Actually probably more depressing than surprising, but Bubbles' story brought some moisture to my ojos.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

normsteez

loved every season of this show, season 4 is tremendous. I'm from Baltimore, so this show has a very special place in my heart.
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

bright lights, big city

Quote from: normsteez on Jul 20, 2012, 02:50 AM
loved every season of this show, season 4 is tremendous. I'm from Baltimore, so this show has a very special place in my heart.
So is B-more really in a war like in the show?
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

normsteez

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jul 20, 2012, 04:44 AM

I live right outside the south Baltimore city line. I can see the city sky line from my house. I wouldn't say its a war but I really wouldn't know either. All I do know is there is definitely a lot murders and heroin addicts all over. West Baltimore where most of The Wire takes place is really run down and with people selling drugs on the corners. It's pretty crazy man just being in an area like that
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

chick de la lynch

I finished season 4 last night, and I have to say that was the most heartbreaking season thus far. If award shows like the Emmys were run properly, the 4th season of The Wire would have been nominated for everything and won everything. Andre Royo's performance was gut wrenching and the fact he wasn't recognized for it in any capacity is heartbreaking.

It's also nice to see Little Finger out of the brothels. I'd vote for Carcetti.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Jul 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
Andre Royo's performance was gut wrenching and the fact he wasn't recognized for it in any capacity is heartbreaking.
that's what i'm talking bout
DERP

one weak

Is this a good show to marathon 3 or 4 episodes in a row or better to watch one a couple nights a week? I feel like I ruin some shows because they all run together and become a cluster-fuck of new characters, plot holes etc. Tried it with 24 and after season 2,  I was like "Jesus, forget it." I think I would have liked that show if I had watched it every sunday night for 14 years, or however long it was. Lost on the other hand....

bright lights, big city

My argument would be that this show doesn't have plot holes, haha.

But yeah in my re-watch, we've been going about 3 or 4 episodes at a time actually. And then kind of have to let it digest for about 5 days until we're all free again to watch it. I wouldn't recommend blasting through entire seasons like Lost or 24 though, you appreciate the slow build and acting more if you take your time with The Wire.
DERP

one weak

Yeah, that makes sense. Dexter is the same way: watch a couple, let the apprehension build a few days, then you're psyched again.

chick de la lynch

Usually I plow through shows I'm super into like no tomorrow, but with The Wire you have to let it digest. Like Mark said, the most I'll watch is four, then I'll take a break for a few days and start up again. My brother, however, watched the whole series in a week. I'm on the fifth season and it has taken me about two months to get to this point. The payoff is is that nothing is blurring together into one season.

I was curious to see what everyone's favorite opening theme is. I really liked season 4's, but you can't go wrong with Tom Waits' original either.

http://youtu.be/3QE1VEsXSmc

http://youtu.be/Xw2MjRcVO4g

samson simpson

felt like The Sopranos went off air about a season or 2 early

with this show it went off just in time and was actually pleased with the end result

best HBO series ever

bright lights, big city

Normally I'm always pro-Tom Waits, but my favorite is season 5's by Steve Earle (Walon in the series). It's really catchy to me.

The Wire Season Five Opening Credits
DERP

Variable

Quote from: one weak on Jul 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. Dexter is the same way: watch a couple, let the apprehension build a few days, then you're psyched again.
I'm sorry, not trying to be a dick, but I think it's crazy that you would compare an average show like Dexter to the best TV show ever. Just my humble opinions, but that was silly.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jul 20, 2012, 04:44 AM
So my GF lives in Bethesda and we drove to Baltimore to go to the Aquarium. I needed some caffeine so she stops at a gas station somewhere semi-close to The Raven's statium.... um.... I have been in some pretty shady situations in my life. I have been in some pretty terrifying situations in my life....I've been shot at plenty of times. And I was pretty fucking sure that this would be the moment I would die. A SUPER white boy getting dropped off right into one of these ghettos. They look at me like I was insane and kind of just kept a safe distance. They probably thought I had a bomb or something.

It's a really sad city. I goes from beautiful and decadent on one block to run-down and depressing on the next block. Pretty sad shit. Evidence of what crack can do to a community.

chick de la lynch

The Steve Earle theme is growing on me. Fourth is still my favorite though.

I know most of the characters on this show have a good side and bad side to them, but I REALLY don't like Marlo. He rubs me in all the wrong places. He's just super greedy and callous and essentially has no heart. He oversteps his boundaries a lot, which also irks me. I think I can honestly say he's one of the few characters on the show that just has a bad side.

I have three episodes left until I'm done with the series. So sad. My brother warned me the fifth season gets weird and he wasn't kidding. It's...weird. In the words of Clay Davis, "Sheeeeit!" (Which I've started saying a lot in my every day life lately, thankyouverymuch The Wire). Speaking of Clay Davis' catchphrase....

http://youtu.be/70eU840lc38

bright lights, big city

Put Clay Davis in with Marlo. He may be hilarious to listen to, but just as much an asshole as Marlo.
DERP

chick de la lynch

Absolutely. I was happy when they started pressing charges on him for all that money laundering in the 5th season. I will say Clay Davis has more personality than Marlo though.

blixa

i stopped watching season 4, but i'm now going to start watching it. fucking brilliant show.

jbmp1390

I'm almost done with season 2 of this show and I really love it. I'm so glad I checked this thread and decided to give this show a shot. It's probably in the top 5 or 10 of best shows ever. Can someone just answer me one question? Does anything bad ever happen to Maui? I really fucking hate Maui but it seems like he never gets any kind of comeuppance for being such a lowlife piece of shit. God I hate that fucking character lol

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

bright lights, big city

I don't think anything does happen to him, but I felt the opposite of you during season 2. Ziggy was the guy who annoyed the hell out of me, and I loved the tricks Maui pulled on him.
DERP