Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Wire

Started by chick de la lynch, Jul 19, 2012, 10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflestiltskin

chick de la lynch

Just finished the series. I think it ended perfectly even though I didn't like some of the outcomes:

[spoiler]
-Marlo walking
-Levy not getting his comeuppance
-Dukie doing heroin
-Templeton getting a Pulitzer
[/spoiler]

It ended the way it should have. If everything was tied in a pretty bow it would be unbelievable. And now that I have finished the series I can finally answer the ultimate question: Which is a better show--The Wire or Breaking Bad?

It has to be The Wire, but it's a very close call. When I asked my brother this question, he said The Wire due to better editing and the show being put together better and I have to agree with him. At times, Breaking Bad can be a little all over the place but not too much to where it ruins the show. The Wire ran a tighter ship. I think the fact that The Wire juggled many plot lines over the course of the series gives it brownie points. It's really hard to put into words, but it's why The Wire is considered one of the greatest television shows of all time.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Aug 08, 2012, 07:58 AM
Just finished the series. I think it ended perfectly even though I didn't like some of the outcomes:

[spoiler]
-Marlo walking
-Levy not getting his comeuppance
-Dukie doing heroin
-Templeton getting a Pulitzer
[/spoiler]

It ended the way it should have. If everything was tied in a pretty bow it would be unbelievable. And now that I have finished the series I can finally answer the ultimate question: Which is a better show--The Wire or Breaking Bad?

It has to be The Wire, but it's a very close call. When I asked my brother this question, he said The Wire due to better editing and the show being put together better and I have to agree with him. At times, Breaking Bad can be a little all over the place but not too much to where it ruins the show. The Wire ran a tighter ship. I think the fact that The Wire juggled many plot lines over the course of the series gives it brownie points. It's really hard to put into words, but it's why The Wire is considered one of the greatest television shows of all time.
agreed absolutely 100 fucking percent. When I think about it the editing and little montages The Wire did were very good, especially that last one in the final episode. Actually made my eyes water because I just knew it was the end of a long, fulfilling journey. One thing Breaking Bad has is the cinematography, though. Gorgeous locations, photography, and use of different colors.

Now the question is what are you watching next?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

tarkil

I just finished last ep of season 5 tonight as well... Fucking amazing show indeed, thanks guys for having opening my eyes on it (not the 1st time it happens on SL actually...  :P).

When I watch Breaking Bad now, all the cops scenes look so fake, it's crazy !
No doubt, for me, The Wire is better than Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad does indeed have a better cinematography, and the story is "cooler" (sorry, can't find a better word, but with stuff like Gus dying, Walter turning ultra bad/badass, etc.). But in the end it's less credible and less powerful that Wire. Could make it a better distraction, but The Wire is so tightly done, and coming together all along the 5 seasons that there's no way BB can be a rival.

Sheeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt !

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

chick de la lynch

Yes, the last six minutes of the final episode was gold. I'm still thinking about it this morning, and I think the reason why that montage scene is perfect is because it doesn't try to be sad. The montage scene is like how the whole series was--just a matter of fact. The Wire never tried to be a depressing show. It just highlighted the dark side of Baltimore, and the dark side of Baltimore is very depressing.

I love how it showed the drug world coming full circle and that no matter how many times you take out the bad guys, there's always someone else to take over the empire. And the parallelism of Dukie and Michael with some of the major players in The Wire is haunting, sad and unfortunately truthful.

Quote from: tarkil on Aug 08, 2012, 04:12 PM
Breaking Bad does indeed have a better cinematography, and the story is "cooler" (sorry, can't find a better word, but with stuff like Gus dying, Walter turning ultra bad/badass, etc.). But in the end it's less credible and less powerful that Wire. Could make it a better distraction, but The Wire is so tightly done, and coming together all along the 5 seasons that there's no way BB can be a rival.

Sheeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt !

Haha, I had the same problem trying to explain why The Wire is better! It's really hard to explain why one great show is better than another great show but it's an amazing dilemma to have. Breaking Bad does have more interesting cinematography and hands down beats The Wire in that category, as well as the color scheme. If you compared Breaking Bad to any other television show on the air right now, Breaking Bad would be victor. Compare to it to The Wire, and it loses.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 08, 2012, 02:06 PM

Aggh! I know, my whole summer has been devoted to The Wire. I saw the first episode of Justified a few weeks ago and thought that was pretty interesting but I might wait till it gets closer to the premiere date so that way I don't have to wait so long for the new season. I made that silly mistake with Game of Thrones.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Aug 08, 2012, 06:08 PM

Aggh! I know, my whole summer has been devoted to The Wire. I saw the first episode of Justified a few weeks ago and thought that was pretty interesting but I might wait till it gets closer to the premiere date so that way I don't have to wait so long for the new season. I made that silly mistake with Game of Thrones.
I'd recommend Deadwood, it'll help your cursing vocabulary and is only 3 seasons. If not that, Boss and Homeland are both awesome and both have their 2nd seasons starting soon.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

one weak

tarkil

OK, I've just set this to download then...    :)

What about The Shield ? I heard it was (kinda) similar to The Wire ?

bright lights, big city

I've never seen The Shield. My friend says it gets bad and stale in the later seasons, but he swears by the first few. It's on my list, so I'll get to it eventually. Probably in the winter when I feel unproductive and want to stay indoors.
DERP

roflestiltskin

The shield was solid.  Watch Superjail!

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 08, 2012, 08:14 PM

I'd recommend Deadwood, it'll help your cursing vocabulary and is only 3 seasons. If not that, Boss and Homeland are both awesome and both have their 2nd seasons starting soon.

My mom dated an extra from Deadwood, but he was really weird. I'll still check it out though.

I remembered I wanted to watch Twin Peaks, so I might do that before school starts too.

roflestiltskin

Watch Rubicon.  It got cancelled but it was awesome.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: roflestiltskin on Aug 09, 2012, 04:49 AM
Watch Rubicon.  It got cancelled but it was awesome.
fuck yeah
DERP

tarkil

I don't like cancelled shows... Then you never get to know the end !

That's why I don't want to watch Firefly, even if I heard it's fucking amazing.....

bright lights, big city

Quote from: tarkil on Aug 09, 2012, 09:30 AM
I don't like cancelled shows... Then you never get to know the end !

That's why I don't want to watch Firefly, even if I heard it's fucking amazing.....
well technically Deadwood was cancelled after 3 seasons...

but on the bright side an interesting tidbit is that, according to wikipedia, the word "fuck" is mentioned 1.56 times per minute for the entire series.
DERP

tarkil

Aw shit... Without spoiling too much, does that mean that we don't get to know the end of Deadwood ?

bright lights, big city

There wasn't some big grand finale, but from what I remember there was a solid conclusion. Character story arcs wrapped up, like most other shows at the end of seasons.

A decent comparison would be if Breaking Bad got canceled after the 4th season, there was a sense of conclusion but you could see where the creator still wanted to take the show. There was room for more episodes.
DERP

one weak

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Aug 09, 2012, 04:40 AM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Aug 08, 2012, 08:14 PM

My mom dated an extra from Deadwood, but he was really weird. I'll still check it out though.

I remembered I wanted to watch Twin Peaks, so I might do that before school starts too.
First couple of seasons of twin peaks are great. lynch should do more tv!

bright lights, big city

Finally started season 5 of the re-watchening with my friends. Watching it week by week, I didn't realize quickly Marlo and his crew starts fucking things up for the "good" gangsters. Fucking Method Man.
DERP

chick de la lynch

Cheese! I heard some people weren't really fond of his character because it was Method Man playing the part. I felt like he wasn't really there all that often to really complain about though. Even though every time he came onto the screen I thought, "Hey! It's Method Man!" One of my favorite scenes in The Wire and he's in it:

http://youtu.be/LfsQaeIYWoY

My brother told me a lot of fans weren't really fond of the 5th season's plot revolving around the "murder" of the homeless men because it seemed implausible. I felt like the 3rd season's Hamsterdam fiasco was more far fetched than the "serial killer" of homeless people. Maybe I'm just weird.