Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

gear

Started by mothraw, Jul 25, 2012, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtone

bojosoto

In 2010 and 2011, the band went through quite a few changed with their guitar and bass rigs. I think it had a lot to do with Drew Foppe their guitar tech at the time. He got both Chino and Sergio onto Orange Amps. In a video on YouTube, Bush guitarist Chris Traynor talks about how he is best friends with Sergio, and got him on to the Axe-Fx units. Stef followed, and now that's what they both solely use for tones and effects.

Stef has pretty much used the same guitars for many years now, but Chino is always switching things up.

mothraw

luisch

Quote from: bojosoto on Aug 09, 2012, 06:52 AM
In 2010 and 2011, the band went through quite a few changed with their guitar and bass rigs. I think it had a lot to do with Drew Foppe their guitar tech at the time. He got both Chino and Sergio onto Orange Amps. In a video on YouTube, Bush guitarist Chris Traynor talks about how he is best friends with Sergio, and got him on to the Axe-Fx units. Stef followed, and now that's what they both solely use for tones and effects.

Stef has pretty much used the same guitars for many years now, but Chino is always switching things up.

Deftones
Stephen Carpenter & Sergio Vega

We recently purchased Axe-Fx units and as you know, it is a transcendental experience... especially for those who love developing tones with movement and textures to use for composition as we do. We feel as though we found a life partner in this system!

http://fractalaudio.com/artists.php
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

deftones86

Quote from: dr.dre on Aug 09, 2012, 05:50 AM
i know chino used a ltd 301 viper and a esp standard viper,
and has at least two electric green amps.
i think he started using orange w/ team sleep, i dont want to believe its a dual terror hes using now.
also, stef used a sg as backup guitar in the early days along with hughes kettner amps.
i remember he had a few zvex pedals around snw era, i think he combined the ff + machine
Chino Used a VOX AC30 for awhile with team sleep it was right after he switched from the Green
Chino Moreno of Team Sleep

ltdef

I'm a guitar player myself and love to talk about this stuff. Here are Stef's tunings for each album:

It's kind of complicated but easy to figure out if you watch live performances. I'm 100% sure about everything I listed here, but  there is something missing of course.

Adrenaline: E  A  D  G  B  E
Around The Fur: C# G# C# F# A# D#
White Pony: C  G  C  F  A  D
Deftones: G# C# F# B  E  G# C#
Saturday Night Wrist: F# C# F# B  E  G# C#
Diamond Eyes: F# B  E  A  D  G  B  E

Exceptions and other songs:

Teething: E  A  D  G  B  E
Night Boat: E  A  D  G  B  E
The Chauffeur: E  A  D  G  B  E
Mascara: D# G# C# F# A# D#
Dai The Flu: D# G# C# F# A# D#
Can't Even Breathe: C# G# C# F# A# D#
Crenshaw: C# G# C# F# A# D#
To Have And To Hold: C  G  C  F  A  D
The Boy's Republic: C  G  C  F  A  D
Back To School (Mini Maggit): C  G  C  F  A  D
Beware: G# C# F# B  E  G# C#

Stef uses Dunlop Tortex 1,0 mm Picks since forever.

He used Fender strings up until the self-titled era and switched to Ernie Ball for Saturday Night Wrist. When he got his 8-string, he started using Dunlop strings.

String gauges: .069 .059 .049 .039 .028 .018 .014 .011

edit: If someone knows the tunings of other songs please post them!

bojosoto

Quote from: ltdef on Aug 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Adrenaline: E  A  D  G  B  E
Around The Fur: C# G# C# F# A# D#
White Pony: C  G  C  F  A  D
Deftones: G# C# F# B  E  G# C#
Saturday Night Wrist: F# C# F# B  E  G# C#
Diamond Eyes: F# B  E  A  D  G  B  E

Night Boat: E  A  D  G  B  E
The Chauffeur: E  A  D  G  B  E
Mascara: D# G# C# F# A# D#
Dai The Flu: D# G# C# F# A# D#
Can't Even Breathe: C# G# C# F# A# D#
Crenshaw: C# G# C# F# A# D#
To Have And To Hold: C  G  C  F  A  D
The Boy's Republic: C  G  C  F  A  D
Back To School (Mini Maggit): C  G  C  F  A  D
Beware: G# C# F# B  E  G# C#
Very detailed man. Just remember that since Stef switched to 7-Strings after White Pony, in the writing process of S/T, he has the extra string on all of the 7's. So the Adrenaline tuning is - E  A  D  G  B  E  E, ATF - C# G# C# F# A# D#  D#, etc etc.

nicklav

It's still amazes me that Adrenaline was recorded in standard tuning. That album is so heavy.

dr.dre

Quote from: deftones86 on Aug 09, 2012, 09:41 PM
Quote from: dr.dre on Aug 09, 2012, 05:50 AM
i know chino used a ltd 301 viper and a esp standard viper,
and has at least two electric green amps.
i think he started using orange w/ team sleep, i dont want to believe its a dual terror hes using now.
also, stef used a sg as backup guitar in the early days along with hughes kettner amps.
i remember he had a few zvex pedals around snw era, i think he combined the ff + machine
Chino Used a VOX AC30 for awhile with team sleep it was right after he switched from the Green
Chino Moreno of Team Sleep

interesting.
also i meant to say matamp, not electric green.
i dont think its been mentioned but stef uses a 5 string esp bass for needles and pins.
http://www.espguitars.com/customshop_gallery.html
custom gallery, some of the guitars are his.

deftoner664

Quote from: nicklav on Aug 10, 2012, 05:43 PM
It's still amazes me that Adrenaline was recorded in standard tuning. That album is so heavy.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Teknoman

Quote from: dr.dre on Aug 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
interesting.
also i meant to say matamp, not electric green.
i dont think its been mentioned but stef uses a 5 string esp bass for needles and pins.
http://www.espguitars.com/customshop_gallery.html
custom gallery, some of the guitars are his.

Thats true and Xerces is also played with that same bass.

I make music too

ltdef

Wow, I didn't know about the 5 string bass. I just searched for Needles and Pins live performance and you can see it very well here at 20 seconds actually: Deftones-Needles And Pins

Do you guys know what the tuning is?

Teknoman

Quote from: ltdef on Aug 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Wow, I didn't know about the 5 string bass. I just searched for Needles and Pins live performance and you can see it very well here at 20 seconds actually: Deftones-Needles And Pins

Do you guys know what the tuning is?

Its 1 & 1/2 step down, so it would be Standard G#... the same tuning of his 7-strings guitar on the S/T album.

I make music too

mothraw

Teknoman

Is either 1 1/2 steps down (Standard G#) or 1 step up (Standard C#), cause that's the only way to play the song on a bass guitar the same way Stef plays it live.

I make music too

Robotsatemygrandma

I think the guitars I saw in the KNY pics were 8 strings (2 black super strat and 2 tele)... believe Stef mentioned he started using an 8 string on SNW but only had one at the time to test out. Dudes running Fractal AxeFX now w/ Marshall cabs (excellent info posted). Used Hughes and Kettner briefly (ATF? or European Backline) and also random (I'm assuming JCM900 or DSL2000) heads for TV spots and early shows.

5 String bass too like previously mentioned. Like to know what keyboard/synth he had on stage during SNW shows.

I know in a super guitar geek interview he ran 2 cabs loaded w/ Celestion 80's as his main signal (read mic'd) and the cabs onstage had different Celestions. Same interview he mentioned he was using EMG707 but was going to switch to 81-7 when they were to be released.

A red Telecaster, a white Telecaster, and a (sunburst?) Jazzmaster also for the new album. Jazzmasters look like Jaguars, same shape, different scale length (25.5" vs 24")

He also used a Jaguar Baritone (same one Beck uses in Glassjaw, which is like a Bass VI but 28" in scale versus 30" seen live and in the Eros clips and during SNW), a Yamaha Pacifica Tele clone (white), a custom painted SG (king or pope on it), the Chi tribute shows a Strat, and I distinctively remember a black SG with a white pickguard being played through a Fender combo amp before WP dropped (first time I saw them, dressed all Kung Fu style and matched lol)

Matamp (or Green Amp) 120GT I believe (it was on Ebay lulz), Vox AC30 (for cleans on Team Sleep) and Orange now I guess. Dual Terror and now... Thunderverb 50? The Orange video interview reveals it. All I can think of at the moment.

Sergio is all about the Jaguar basses... but also recorded (?) with a Fender Bass VI (I admit, I geeked on that cuz I want one lol). Ran an Ampeg setup (same as Chi's, SVT810 w/ a SVT 3Pro?) then went to Orange, and now Fractal w/ Orange 8x10 cabs. Looks like he might be using a Moog Taurus Bass synth to be played like a pedal board.

Chi (much love!)... random variations of a Fender Precision (P/J pickups, 4 and 5 strings, one black and one sunburst for sure). A Telecaster Bass (blonde w/ black pickguard), and a Music Man Sting Ray in the early days.

Ampeg rig seemed unchanged, but ran a 4x10 also along with that Music Man Sting Ray. No idea about FX. I think he might of ran a clean signal, or a distortion somehow (specifically on some ATF songs).

Quote from: ltdef link=topic=19674.msg771770#msg771770 date=1344593801

/quote]

I always thought Teething was played in drop D. But I could be wrong.

M1GHTY M4VS

http://youtu.be/Yf9WuAMf0WI?hd=1 from DE FZW Dortmund Show that quite many SL users teamed up for :P

ltdef

Did somebody already found out, what the guitar tuning on the koi no yokan songs (that we already heard) is?

gwenudo

Quote from: ltdef on Oct 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Did somebody already found out, what the guitar tuning on the koi no yokan songs (that we already heard) is?

Stefs guitar tunning is E B E A D G B E .. and chino has a very weird tunning .. check out on a thread a guy posted saying he covered rosemary .. he has the right tunning i believe for chinos guitar ..
Was it like it seemed?...