Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

gear

Started by mothraw, Jul 25, 2012, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bojosoto

Quote from: SomeOf on Aug 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
Do we know which guitars were used for what album ?
Stef originally used his signature ESP 6 strings on the first 3 albums. Then for S/T he switched to the SRC-7 and B-7. For Diamond Eyes and the new album he used his B-8's as well as some new custom 8-string ESP Telecasters, similar to his T-7 model.

SomeOf

Thank you very much.

mothraw

before he got his signature models he usualy played 6 string esp horizon.i love the one in the bored video!

SomeOf

He used this one on Adrenaline ?

Teknoman

Quote from: SomeOf on Aug 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
Do we know which guitars were used for what album ?

Thats kind of tricky to answer, 'cause if you check out the B-sides & Rareties DVD you can see that Stef plays Battle-axe on a 6-String Viper LTD/ESP guitar. However...

I remember reading somewhere that he began playing Jackson guitars with Floyd Rose bridge (I think Like Linus was recorded with that guitar), then ESP gave him... or maybe he bought it who knows... a Page Hamilton (Helmet) signature model (An ESP Horizon with Floyd Rose bridge... you can see it on the 7 words music video) but he had problems with the floating bridge system 'cause if one string breaks the whole guitar goes out of tune and he had to stop the songs during live shows to get a back up guitar 'cause he was the only guitarist on the band at that time.

Then he switched to a fixed bridge version of the Horizon model with customized controls (Bored music video) And during the Around the fur Era he moved the pickup selector to its "signature" location right below the bridge and that's how he got his "signature model" i guess.

That configuration remained unchanged until The Selftitled Era when he began to use Baritone 7 strings guitars (28" fingerboard scale) and he replaced all of his 6 strings with regular scale 7 strings guitar (25.5").

During the Saturday Night Wrist Era Stef got his 7 Strings Telecaster Baritone guitar, it was down tuned to basically match the low end sound of an 8 strings guitar.

Few years later he began to use 8 strings guitars and Eros was being recorded with that. Then Diamond Eyes surfaced and "apparently"  for the first time in Deftones history he used the same guitar tuning from the previous album.

We have to wait until the new album comes out and see (or hear) if he didnt down tuned his 8 strings guitar for this new album. Although there are pictures of Stef with an 8 strings telecaster im not sure if he used that guitar on the new album but he got a new set of pickups for his signature B8... and thats all i can say about that.

PS. I guess im a guitar geek.  ;D

I make music too

SomeOf

Really interesting, thank you.
Do you have guitars's history of Chino ?

And what about the tunings of Chino and Stef on each album ?

bojosoto

Quote from: SomeOf on Aug 08, 2012, 07:37 AM

I'm pretty sure these are the tunings Stef used. I know that the first 3 albums are definitely what I have put below.

Adrenaline - Standard E
Around The Fur - Drop C#
White Pony - Drop C
Self Titled - Drop G#
Saturday Night Wrist - Drop F# (on a 7-String)
Diamond Eyes - Drop F#

Chino:

Guitars:

As of 2012, Chino is using 4 guitars live. Two Gibson SG Standards, a Gibson 1961 SG and a Fender Jaguar. In the past he has used Fender Stratocaster's and Mustang's, as well as some ESP and Yamaha guitars.

Amplifiers & Cabinets:

- x1 Orange 4x12 Cabinet
- x1 Orange Dual Terror 30 watt Amplifier

Effects:

- Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
- Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
- Electro Harmonix Memory Toy
- Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy
- TC Electronics PolyTune Tuner
- Voodoo Labs Pedal-Power 2 Plus

Sergio:

Basses:

Sergio is pretty boring with his basses. All of his touring basses are the exact same model and finish. He uses Fender Jaguar's in 3-Tone Sunburst. I beleive he takes 6 basses out on the road.

Amplifiers & Cabinets:

- x2 Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II
- x1 Fractal Audio MFC-101 MIDI foot controller
- x1 Rocktron Velocity 300 150w Power Amplifier
- x2 Furman M-8x2 Power Conditioners
- x4 Ernie Ball Expression Pedals
- x2 Orange White OBC810 8x10 Cabinets

mothraw

i actually think its pretty cool that sergio is playing "one" bass all time.he probably has the same bassguitar 10 times!!!how cool is that?!

mothraw

http://youtu.be/0K12pCKPE34

i guess he wants floyd rose on his next sig.git back

why you want less when you can play more guitar ;D hahahaa

M1GHTY M4VS

Quote from: bojosoto on Aug 08, 2012, 09:55 AM

Chino:

Guitars:

As of 2012, Chino is using 4 guitars live. Two Gibson SG Standards, a Gibson 1961 SG and a Fender Jaguar. In the past he has used Fender Stratocaster's and Mustang's, as well as some ESP and Yamaha guitars.

Yeah and the Eastwood Joey Leone Signature Guitar he has used live for Sextape

mothraw

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Aug 08, 2012, 02:34 PM

Chino:

Guitars:

watt solln dit für ne klampfe sein?

luisch

Quote from: mothraw on Aug 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Aug 08, 2012, 02:34 PM

Chino:

Guitars:

watt solln dit für ne klampfe sein?

Chino also used on this tour a new Fender Telecaster

Deftones - Hole in the Earth - Live @ The Troubadour - 07/28/2012
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

mothraw

are you shure he played that eastwoodthing live?any footage?

luisch

Quote from: mothraw on Aug 08, 2012, 03:14 PM

yes, Campo Pequeño, Portugal, 2010

Campo Pequeno 2010 - Deftones - Sextape
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

mothraw

thank you for that!

M1GHTY M4VS

yeah shure, the mics chino is using are from shure, too :P
Shure BETA 58a Microphone for live performances since 2011
Shure SM58 until 2011

mothraw

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Aug 08, 2012, 05:21 PM
yeah shure, the mics chino is using are from shure, too :P
Shure BETA 58a Microphone for live performances since 2011
Shure SM58 until 2011

Haha mothraws english is drunk but gearish

Teknoman

Mr. bojosoto explained everything pretty much. BUT!

Chino began to play guitar on White Pony, Im not sure but i think his first guitar was the red ESP/LTD Viper that he played on White Pony Release Party show (probably because of Stef's ESP/LTD endorsement) later he got his famous red Gibson SG and he never went back to his Viper... probably kept it as a back up guitar. On this album Chino and Stef used Drop C tunings.

During the Selftitled Era Chino used Drop C# (or Drop Db if want) and Stef Standard G#, Chino got more guitars, if you watch the Rareties DVD you can see 5 guitars on his Rack (the red LTD Viper, a Sunburst Telecaster, a Green Gibson SG and 2 others i cant identify) but kept the red SG as his main guitar and he used it for all S/T songs. Also you can see another Gibson SG with natural mate finish when they performed at the Wembley Arena in London, it was used for songs from the White Pony album (He threw that guitar at the end of that show). And another White SG used on some live shows (MTV icon The Cure, live at Good Call)

For Saturday Night Wrist things changed again, Stef used Drop F# and Chino used Drop D (and apparently Drop D# on a few songs.. like beware) and he got more guitars, his main guitars for SNW were a natural gloss/orange Fender Stratocaster with a white pickguard but painted black... you can see the black paint wearing off (Hole in the earth live on Conan) and a couple of sunburst Fender Jaguars used for pretty much all White Pony/Sefltitled songs.

For Eros, im not sure but i think Chino was using a white Telecaster, about tunings... after further investigation i think Stef used Drop E on his 8 strings  'cause there is a clip of him jamming with Chi and Abe (Eros Clip 3) where his guitar has a super fat low end sound only achieved with that tuning (tested on guitar pro)... but who knows.

During Diamond Eyes era, Chino went back to his Gibson SG using different tunings (Drop D and Drop C), Stef used Standard F#. And guess what... Chino got more guitars, the briefly used Eastwood semihollow and another Gibson SG but this time black.

For the new album there is a pictures of a Red fender Telecaster and a new fender jaguar (i think it was a special baritone series)... i cant remember the color but i think it was black. The tunings, im not sure about that either but somebody said that Chino was using a special tuning, a combination of standard c# with the lower string dropped to A.

I make music too

deftoner664

Quote from: Teknoman on Aug 08, 2012, 09:34 PM

Mr. bojosoto explained everything pretty much. BUT!

Chino began to play guitar on White Pony, Im not sure but i think his first guitar was the red ESP/LTD Viper that he played on White Pony Release Party show (probably because of Stef's ESP/LTD endorsement) later he got his famous red Gibson SG and he never went back to his Viper... probably kept it as a back up guitar. On this album Chino and Stef used Drop C tunings.

During the Selftitled Era Chino used Drop C# (or Drop Db if want) and Stef Standard G#, Chino got more guitars, if you watch the Rareties DVD you can see 5 guitars on his Rack (the red LTD Viper, a Sunburst Telecaster, a Green Gibson SG and 2 others i cant identify) but kept the red SG as his main guitar and he used it for all S/T songs. Also you can see another Gibson SG with natural mate finish when they performed at the Wembley Arena in London, it was used for songs from the White Pony album (He threw that guitar at the end of that show). And another White SG used on some live shows (MTV icon The Cure, live at Good Call)

For Saturday Night Wrist things changed again, Stef used Drop F# and Chino used Drop D (and apparently Drop D# on a few songs.. like beware) and he got more guitars, his main guitars for SNW were a natural gloss/orange Fender Stratocaster with a white pickguard but painted black... you can see the black paint wearing off (Hole in the earth live on Conan) and a couple of sunburst Fender Jaguars used for pretty much all White Pony/Sefltitled songs.

For Eros, im not sure but i think Chino was using a white Telecaster, about tunings... after further investigation i think Stef used Drop E on his 8 strings  'cause there is a clip of him jamming with Chi and Abe (Eros Clip 3) where his guitar has a super fat low end sound only achieved with that tuning (tested on guitar pro)... but who knows.

During Diamond Eyes era, Chino went back to his Gibson SG using different tunings (Drop D and Drop C), Stef used Standard F#. And guess what... Chino got more guitars, the briefly used Eastwood semihollow and another Gibson SG but this time black.

For the new album there is a pictures of a Red fender Telecaster and a new fender jaguar (i think it was a special baritone series)... i cant remember the color but i think it was black. The tunings, im not sure about that either but somebody said that Chino was using a special tuning, a combination of standard c# with the lower string dropped to A.

Nice chronology of their guitar history... Everything seems correct.. For the new album though Chino is tuning his guitar for Rosemary to Drop C pretty much, but dropping the bottom C down to an A#.. Very strange tuning but i'm interested for sure
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

dr.dre

i know chino used a ltd 301 viper and a esp standard viper,
and has at least two electric green amps.
i think he started using orange w/ team sleep, i dont want to believe its a dual terror hes using now.
also, stef used a sg as backup guitar in the early days along with hughes kettner amps.
i remember he had a few zvex pedals around snw era, i think he combined the ff + machine