Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Bands you recommend from your country

Started by DeftonesNZ, Oct 05, 2012, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

What bands would you recommend to someone asking about your country's music ?

Blindspott,probably NZ's most successful metal band their pretty good probably more standard metal than Deftones but still very good, Very good guitar playing and the DJ is complements them very well.

Decortica,a lot newer band still on the rise they've got a really good sound going, i think their heavily influenced by the Deftones, though i would say they should only have one album as the two they have released have been half awesome half average would've have been better to just have one full of good songs.

Kora,Very good live act not sure what category you'd put them under but they do the more upbeat electronic songs as well as the typical laid back NZ reggae style stuff as well, their probably the other end of the spectrum compared to the first two bands.

tarkil

Good topic !

France : Gojira (but everyone knows them already).
On the more "unknown" side of things, people should try Psykup, very good band (they disbanded a while ago though). It's som kind of progressive metalcore, very weird and original, but very good.

Old "Noir Desir" is good too (aim for the first few albums though) some nice old school rock and roll.

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

DeftonesNZ

Thanks for the recommendations the first band instrumentals are good not a fan of vocals though,the second one didn't really do much for me but i like the Noir Desir there quite good. Also that terra inc song by Gojira reminds me of birthmark by the deftones i think its the drums i keep expected to hear stephen come in with that riff.

bewareofrats

Canada: 

Matthew Good Band
Matthew Good
Limblifter
Big Wreck
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

N0S3BLEED976

Germany:

I can honestly only recommend "Bohren & Der Club Of Gore", which probably everybody of you knows already.

Apart from this, rock-bands like e.g. "Die Toten Hosen" (punk), "Beatsteaks" (alternative/punk) and "Scorpions" (hard rock/heavy metal) are considered as good and I respect them, although I'm not a real fan of their music.

I'm not a big fan of german musicianship in general, though.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Oct 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Germany:

I can honestly only recommend "Bohren & Der Club Of Gore", which probably everybody of you knows already.

Apart from this, bands like "Die Toten Hosen" (punk) and "Beatsteaks" (alternative/punk) are considered as good and I respect them, although I'm not a real fan of their music.

I'm not a big fan of german musicianship in general, though.
Yea everyone here thinks German music is super weird because of we get of it is Rammstein videos of naked men wrestling lol.

N0S3BLEED976

I hate Rammstein.

There are a lot of other admired german bands beside the three mentioned above, but I did never get into them as well. Especially if they sing in german. Our language just lacks the harmony and beauty that the english language usually has.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Oct 05, 2012, 04:20 PM
I hate Rammstein.

There are a lot of other admired german bands beside the three mentioned above, but I did never get into them either. Especially if they sing in german. Our language just lacks the harmony and beauty that the english language usually has.
Must suck been known for them, think were quite lucky the most popular NZ act overseas would probably be Kimbra from that somebody I used to know song she is actually from the same city as me which is pretty cool considering city's are a lot smaller in NZ. Understand what you mean about the German language never thought of being romantic or sweet ,but apparently the Kiwi (NZer) accent was voted second sexiest English accent outside of Britain lol which surprised me.

Crazylegs

Motorpsycho, best rockband ever to come out of norway
Jaga Jazzist, awesome nu-jazz group
Susanne Sundfør, awesome singer song writer
Kvelertak, bad ass
Röyksopp, great electronica duo

lostpilot

basically nothing came out from lithuania.

people here love house, djs and slutwave
69 danguje - Velniškas greitis

SLUTWAVE XOXO

Olialia Pupytes - Ispildyk Mano Norus

tarkil

Well, I don't like the music, but with "mute" on, that video was VERY watchable !!!!

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

luisch

Colombia:

Raíz: This band open the Deftones show in 2007

RAIZ - Instante Desierto

Velandia y la Tigra: my mates band

Velandia y la tigra: "El Sietemanes"

León Bruno: good band from the caribbean coast

LEON BRUNO - Bella de día

Superlitio: good rock and roll band with tunes of jazz and blues from Cali

Superlitio - No Se Si Volverá (Sesiones 10.10 DVD) [Oficial]
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Corleone

Canada:

Neil Young
Tragically Hip
Sheep Dogs

sing blue silver

Canada:
Hey Rosetta!
KO
Protest The Hero

downtownpony

Texas: local dallas band The Suicide Hook---http://www.purevolume.com/thesuicidehook--- Give" to the left... remember?" a listen.

Martin

Very interesting topic!

From The Netherlands I'd like to recommend Green Lizard. Recently restarted after being absent for 4 years. Parts punk, grunge, with influences from (nu)metal and hardcore with some commercial appeal at times. One of my favorite bands, so I'm very happy that their back and look forward to seeing them live again. http://greenlizard.bandcamp.com/

New song, Teardrops, in rehearsal
http://youtu.be/j78wDcKKkDA

gui

DJR

DenOndaNissen

we have a couple of interesting bands from Sweden that are worth checking out if you have not heard them already:

Metal:
Meshuggah, legandary math/progressive metal band!
Cult Of Luna, post metal at its finest. a must if you have not heard them!
Khoma, a side project by members of Cult Of Luna. Imagine a mixture of Cult Of Luna and Radiohead. (They also opened up for Deftones at their last Sweden show in 2010)
And classic death/black metal bands like In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates and Dark Funeral are well worth mentioning also

Punk/HC:
Refused, legendary punk hardcore band!
Blindside, classic christian post-hardcore band.
Raised Fist, A really heavy HC band. Great live!

Pop/rock/post-rock:
Pg. Lost, a really good post-rock band!
Jeudah, a side project by members of pg.lost and khoma.
Ef, post-rock at its finest!
First Aid Kit, A folk pop band. Known for their work with Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes.
Invasionen, Dennis Lyxzén of Refuseds new pop/post-punk band.
The Hives, Awesome rock n roll band. Even better live.
Graveyard, a great 70's'isch rock band like Black Sabbath.
The Cardigans, Deftones covered them at the Diamond Eyes sessions. Great rock band!

Edit: I made a Spotify playlist with a song from each artist for those who are interested!
http://open.spotify.com/user/likelinus/playlist/5GQvcG2TrbPMqcbZNGpjiW