Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Vinyl Junkies

Started by x Rx King x, Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

x Rx King x

Ok, I know I'm not the only one on this thread... I love CD's, don't get me wrong, but there is just no beating that fresh, pure vibe you get from LP's. A gift from God. Before i start going crazy and posting all the goodies in my collection, I want to know who else here actively buys vinyl and collects them. Share turntables/lps/jackets/slipmats/speakers... anything partaining to vinyl, please share. I will post my collection here soon...

Crazylegs

i try and buy some vinyl from time to time, i probably buy more vinyl than cd's nowadays. I'm not really a purist, but it does give me some extra satisfaction to play a proper record.

deftones47

I may not be too crazy about it, but yeah, even now in 2012, and considering that it was before my time, I still buy vinyl albums.

tarkil

I'm planning on buy a vinyl player (or turntables, not sure how it's called in English). This has been a plan for a couple of years already (I do have a small collection of LP waiting to be played for a while now) !

I understand it depends on budget, what I want, etc. but any advice on what I should get ? Or websites with good info ?

Thanks !

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

x Rx King x

Quote from: tarkil on Oct 24, 2012, 01:43 AM
I'm planning on buy a vinyl player (or turntables, not sure how it's called in English). This has been a plan for a couple of years already (I do have a small collection of LP waiting to be played for a while now) !

I understand it depends on budget, what I want, etc. but any advice on what I should get ? Or websites with good info ?

Thanks !

There are a couple things you need to know:

1. NEVER EVER buy a Crosley
2. Check out your local record store. Chances are they have high-quality turntables for a decent price (i got my Audio Technica LP-60 in shop for $90 bucks, and AT is one of the best brands out there besides Pioneer and such.)
3. A great place to check out LP's is discogs.com. I just recieved my copy White Pony, 2XLP, gatefold, mint jacket and mint LP's, $20 bucks from an independent seller.
4. Don't trust everyone. Not even all record stores. They can lure you with the price, but the quality of the jacket and/or record could be bogus. Also, find out what it's worth before you buy, especially on higher priced items. Again, check discogs.com for such things. It can give you a good median, maximum, and minimum on what that item should be going for.

If you have any further questions, feel free to pm me or post here.

tarkil

My problem is definitely buying the turntables, not the LPs themselves. Obviously, I want something of high quality, with a very good/accurate sound. I've read some stuff before, but it was a while ago, and I remember it was a bit obscure...

Oh well, one day, I'll stop procrastinate, and actually do some proper research...    :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

black coffee

I bought lots of LP's over the years, most of of them at concerts, the rest on Ebay, flee markets or internet announces.

My old man also gave some LP's to me for free ( Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost, Queen etc ) before he sold everything else, which was basically a room full of vinyl. Ridiculous how much money he must've spent on vinyl when he was younger, and I must admit I'm also already in the thousands... but I am definitely not as much interested in this as I used to be, theres just not much fun in collecting something that is not hard to get if you have the money, so its only a matter of $$$$

Maybe I'll keep a few classics and put the rest on ebay at some point.

x Rx King x

Quote from: black coffee on Oct 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
I bought lots of LP's over the years, most of of them at concerts, the rest on Ebay, flee markets or internet announces.

My old man also gave some LP's to me for free ( Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost, Queen etc ) before he sold everything else, which was basically a room full of vinyl. Ridiculous how much money he must've spent on vinyl when he was younger, and I must admit I'm also already in the thousands... but I am definitely not as much interested in this as I used to be, theres just not much fun in collecting something that is not hard to get if you have the money, so its only a matter of $$$$

Maybe I'll keep a few classics and put the rest on ebay at some point.

If you're wanting to sell, maybe we can strike a deal, depending on what it is and its condition.

bright lights, big city

I've got a Crosley, got it as a gift some years back. It does the trick when I feel like listening to vinyl, but my old man has an old Kenwood. He rarely uses it, I might convince him to trade with me, haha.

I haven't bought any vinyl in over a year though, as it usually is a budget thing for me ($20 for gatefold White Pony sounds like a steal). Last ones I got were some classics like Led Zeppelin's II, Ice T's The Iceberg, and A Life Once Lost's A Great Artist.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

scatterbrain

I also own a crosley.I, uhh acuried its my outside tabel.I got a 80s magnovox for the room though,direct drive with antiskate.I got some newer vinyl from random shows,ebay and hot topic.allmost all my old stuff came from thrift stores though.I hit the jackpot at at goodwill one time.walked out with 70 classic lps at 90ยข a piece.everything from blind faith,dk,aerosmith,pearl jam,hendrix,ramones,led zep all sorts of stuff.there's a hendrix boot in there and a dude a record store had that same lp in his store for 800$.that's was my first time cratedigging,and best beleve I never got that lucky again.ill still find a gem here and there,but never like that thrift was a one time trip for me,the ones in my old town know what's worthy,pricks take black markers over any thing that's known.
im me and thats all ill ever be

x Rx King x

I just took pictures of my collection, but I don't know how to share. Can I even post pictures that are saved directly on my mac?

bright lights, big city

don't think so, haha. I've always kinda wanted to do that, but I just end up posting links to my facebook pics.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

x Rx King x

I'll find some way... hahaha

sing blue silver

Someday when I'm not so lazy I'll post my collection and my setup. I'm a bit of a freak for vinyl.

in the meantime, here's my deftones centrepiece in my living room above my record player. Still need a frame for Adrenaline. KNY will join it upon release.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

scatterbrain

im me and thats all ill ever be

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Thanks, guys! I've thrown away tons of money putting it together.

x Rx King x

Here is my collection:
http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=xRxKingx

A couple pics. More to follow...:

Crazylegs