Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Started by theis, Oct 27, 2010, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

I heard there is supposed to be a directors cut that is like 35 mins longer. Not entirely sure though.

from_musings

found this at mtv.com:

Because Nolan and his writing team of brother Jonathan Nolan and David S. Goyer are so thorough at the outset of crafting their stories, there's little room left for deleted scenes when the "Dark Knight" films come to home video, said the director.

"I tend to try and weed things out on paper because it's crazy expensive to shoot things that aren't going to be in the film," he explained. "It also takes up a lot of time and energy. Pretty much with all my films, there are very few deleted scenes, which always disappoints the DVD crowd."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1690258/dark-knight-rises-ending-christopher-nolan.jhtml

bright lights, big city

very interesting. thanks man.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

wither-I

pushups make you a really good jumper

"coming into the nearness of distance"

from_musings

no deleted scenes but maybe some other interesting stuff will be on there

http://screencrush.com/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray/

black coffee

All the extras included:

Art Gallery

The Batmobile Documentary

Ending the Knight Documentary

High Altitude Hijacking / Beneath Gotham / Return to the Batcave /
Batman vs Bane / The Bat / Armory Accepted / Gameday Destruction /
Demolishing a City Street / The Pit / The Chant / The War on Wall Street /
Race to the Reactor / The Journey of Bruce Wayne / Gothams Reckoning /
A Girls Gotta Eat / Shadows and Light in Large Format /
The End of A Legend

Gee

"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

from_musings

i thought the thing was that it wasn't about muscles,it was his fear that made the jump. at the beginning of the movie alfred says  "I'm afriad you want to fail" because bruce didn't give a fuck about anything, depressed over rachel and shit - "it's nothing out there for me." when bruce is doing situps and pushups in the pit he says" I'm not afraid, i'm angry", but with this state of mind he doesn't pull off the jump and fails. it's when he makes the climb and jump without the rope he pulls it off - fear was the key. that's why there were bats flying above him just before the successful jump, the symbol of fear telling us that he was afraid for first time in years

fireflyry

Just recently watched it and thought it was pretty disappointing overall, but maybe my expectations were too high?

I'm really thinking it's akin to Star Wars.The second episode of the trilogy was the best.

The plot line just seemed too thinly rushed in order to conclude the trilogy.One of many issues I have was... Batman's first fight against Bane.He gets pwned...like completely has no answer to getting his ass handed to him....against a guy with an obvious need for some sort of breathing apparatus.Like a BLATANT need and hence weakness for a mechanical device to be working and attached to his face face in order for him to function and yet somehow Batman with all his training, skill, intelligence and toys completely neglects to exploit this.

I picked that up the first time I watched it.

What rubbed salt into the wound was that the second time they go "man to man" suddenly Bruce seemingly clicks..."Hmmm....maybe if I damage that HUGE and blatantly obvious breathing apparatus mounted to the dudes head...he may dislike it and even /faceplam".

I just walked away thinking it made Batman look like an idiot.

Personally I was hoping for a way better conclusion and I blame Nolan directly as the first two were sublimely directed and written.Third was meh for me.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

bright lights, big city

I do kind of get taken out of the moment at the end fight scene with Bane-Batman when he's all like WHERE'S THE TRIGGER?! WHERE IS IT?!

I just start laughing every time. Cool story, bro.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

from_musings

Quote from: fireflyry on Dec 06, 2012, 05:36 PM
Just recently watched it and thought it was pretty disappointing overall, but maybe my expectations were too high?

I'm really thinking it's akin to Star Wars.The second episode of the trilogy was the best.

The plot line just seemed too thinly rushed in order to conclude the trilogy.One of many issues I have was... Batman's first fight against Bane.He gets pwned...like completely has no answer to getting his ass handed to him....against a guy with an obvious need for some sort of breathing apparatus.Like a BLATANT need and hence weakness for a mechanical device to be working and attached to his face face in order for him to function and yet somehow Batman with all his training, skill, intelligence and toys completely neglects to exploit this.

I picked that up the first time I watched it.

What rubbed salt into the wound was that the second time they go "man to man" suddenly Bruce seemingly clicks..."Hmmm....maybe if I damage that HUGE and blatantly obvious breathing apparatus mounted to the dudes head...he may dislike it and even /faceplam".

I just walked away thinking it made Batman look like an idiot.

Personally I was hoping for a way better conclusion and I blame Nolan directly as the first two were sublimely directed and written.Third was meh for me.

if you don't like the film, that's cool, i just think that in the first fight bruce just wasn't properly prepared - while bane was.bruce hadn't been batman for 8 years, he sat around moping in the mansion ,depressed, and was in bad shape cause of the damages of being batman. also - alfred said he was afraid that bruce was not afraid to die, in fact a part of him was afraid that bruce actually wanted to die because he had given up, so bruce also wasn't mentally prepared. i think the thing is that bruce isn't the real batman until he climbs up out of the pit

fireflyry

But he's Batman.

I'm just any everyday smuck yet it's hardly rocket science that Batman has razor sharp forearms that can smash through anything, let alone an adversary that has such a blatantly obvious weakness as a breathing device mounted to his face.I get the whole "....but he's weak and has to re-find himself..." plot but as soon as that first fight occurred it took me out of taking the movie in anyway seriously compared to the other two prequels.It was merely a means to fulfilling the requirements of the plot while excusing the fact Batman suddenly became an idiot for that whole fight.Sure let him get beaten but don't make him look like he lost because he was stupid.I mean what was the whole deal with the "smoke" he threw up while grounded.Looked cool on film but what?Little smoke puffs around Bane as a means of defense?Seriously?

I get it's part of the story that he gets smacked down, heck in the comics it was a broken back not a dis-lodged vertebrae but that was justified due to Banes intelligence in making him take on pretty much the whole population of a mental asylum before they fought.Batman was exhausted and bound to lose.In the film he easily scrubs the floor until trapped...he's fresh, unchallenged and good to go.Even disregarding that it's more the fact in the latter fight he suddenly seems to realize..."oh....should have really taken out the huge breathing device mounted to the dudes head last time....duh...."

To me it's a major plot flaw that is lazy in execution.

I love the flick but I'll put it this way, subjectively:

Batman Begins 8/10
Dark Knight:9.9/10
Dark Knight Rises:6/10

It was just an anti-climax for me that made Batman look more silly than finding redemption.That's just my take though.

kurtone

He underestimated Bane, when Alfred is telling him to stay away from Bane all Bruce says is I'll fight harder, I always have" he's never dealt with someone as physical as Bane. He seems to think since he beat Ra's he can beat anyone no matter what.

I like the first fight between Bane and Batman, but for two guys who trained with a a bunch of ninjas, it was just a lot of punching, no stealth or anything to it lol. And in the second fight Batman uses the exact same moves lol, you'd think he would change it up a little.

Still enjoyed the movie though, I thought it was a fitting end to the trilogy.

ToneDef

Quote from: fireflyry on Dec 06, 2012, 07:20 PM
But he's Batman.

I'm just any everyday smuck yet it's hardly rocket science that Batman has razor sharp forearms that can smash through anything, let alone an adversary that has such a blatantly obvious weakness as a breathing device mounted to his face.I get the whole "....but he's weak and has to re-find himself..." plot but as soon as that first fight occurred it took me out of taking the movie in anyway seriously compared to the other two prequels.It was merely a means to fulfilling the requirements of the plot while excusing the fact Batman suddenly became an idiot for that whole fight.Sure let him get beaten but don't make him look like he lost because he was stupid.I mean what was the whole deal with the "smoke" he threw up while grounded.Looked cool on film but what?Little smoke puffs around Bane as a means of defense?Seriously?

I get it's part of the story that he gets smacked down, heck in the comics it was a broken back not a dis-lodged vertebrae but that was justified due to Banes intelligence in making him take on pretty much the whole population of a mental asylum before they fought.Batman was exhausted and bound to lose.In the film he easily scrubs the floor until trapped...he's fresh, unchallenged and good to go.Even disregarding that it's more the fact in the latter fight he suddenly seems to realize..."oh....should have really taken out the huge breathing device mounted to the dudes head last time....duh...."

To me it's a major plot flaw that is lazy in execution.

I love the flick but I'll put it this way, subjectively:

Batman Begins 8/10
Dark Knight:9.9/10
Dark Knight Rises:6/10

It was just an anti-climax for me that made Batman look more silly than finding redemption.That's just my take though.

What's up man? Long time!

As far as this movie goes, picked up the blu ray the other day, watched it for the first time that night and absolutely loved it. Perhaps even more so than The Dark Knight. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Really made me feel good.

theis

Bummed to see so many nitpicking this movie to pieces.

If I did that to every movie I saw I'd probably ruin most movies for myself. You can always find flaws, but people seem destined to single out every little thing they think is wrong with The Dark Knight Rises.

Constructive criticism is fine, but I think this is taking it overboard. Not just here on SL, but on other sites as well.

I copied this from IMDB, but it explains some things, that people generally are bothered with, pretty good:

QuoteIt was never stated where the prison was. So we have no idea how long it takes to get there. When Alfred mentions it to Bruce early on, he says in an "some more ancient part of the world." (The fort is in Jodhpur, India). It is also revealed that Miranda/Talia has a plane, when she says to Bruce: "We could leave. Tonight. Take my plane. Go anywhere we wanted." When Bane seized the reactor, it was mentioned that they had about 5 months before it blew up. That gives Bruce enough time for a return trip from anywhere in the world. Gotham wasn't technically quarantined, as food shipments were allowed in. Citizens just weren't allowed out. That's how the Special Forces team managed to get into the city. Not to mention, Bruce was able to travel around the world living among the criminal underworld for 7 years when he ran away from Gotham. Therefore he clearly has the knowledge and capability to survive without his fortunes. The mythos of the Bane character tells us that the prison that Bane escaped is located on fictional island republic called Santa Prisca in the Caribbean Sea, which would have made for a very short flight for Bane and Bruce, though it's never specified in the movie.

One possible theory is that he can walk on ice with 'sure-footing' as shown in his training with Ra's al Ghul in the first film, Batman Begins . This is actually confirmed visually when Batman meets Gordon halfway along the ice, walking effortlessly towards him. Another idea is that as Wayne Manor is said to be located outside the city limits (and perhaps off the main island of Gotham), he could have gone back to his home and taken the Bat and flown to the bridge or just beyond it. The last time wee see the Bat landing is inside the Batcave as Batman returns after dropping off Selina Kyle. This last theory is supported by the notion that Wayne Manor is not shown to have been looted and occupied by the Blackgate Prison escapees. It is also shown in a Map of Gotham city produced as part of the viral marketing, similarly to other known maps of Gotham from comics, that Wayne Manor is outside of the main set of islands that were under Bane's martial law. The film itself establishes direct explanation for getting onto the island, with the CIA agents sneaking into Gotham undercover as men delivering supplies. This may not have been the route Wayne took to get back, but it proves that other people were also successfully sneaking into the city during Occupied Gotham. In the end a guy like Bruce Wayne, while living a double life as Batman for a few years, probably learned of several or many different ways to gain access to a city that could be so easily cut off from the outside world, i.e., as Batman, he'd have to know alternate routes and access points to track criminals and find their hideouts, etc.

Call me a fanboy, but this is still my favorite movie of the year. Epic in scope, looks amazing, Bane is a force and it affected me more emotionally than Begins and TDK.

fireflyry

Quote from: ToneDef on Dec 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
What's up man? Long time!

Fuck.You just made my day. Was'nt sure you were still around.Catch up in @user bro.

Quote from: theis on Dec 07, 2012, 12:57 AM
Bummed to see so many nitpicking this movie to pieces.

Good to see you too Theis. Same as above.

I have to comment on the nit-picking comment though.Seeing so many do it is self-explanatory.Thing is there is commonly known dogma when you deal with comic book characters.You have to be respectful of this.Batman is just a guy with a lot of training and a lot of money/tech.His biggest asset though is his intelligence.I don't nit-pick films at all, but from my point of view how do you get your arse handed to you by a guy that has an aqua-lung attached to his face, an obvious weakness that later on in the film leads directly to Batman winning....after push ups and climbing out of a well.Movie fans can easily write that off, most would not even notice or place relevance on the flaw, but I've been a Batman fan since I was 8 years old.It was just bad writing and when I watched it for the first time the majority of Batman t-shirt wearing geeks like me that were in the cinema all looked at each other with "wtf?" expressions.

I get they tried to equate it to Bruce being out of Batman mode for 8 years but a 2 minute scene or scenario that entailed him to take on adversity either by weight of numbers or strength before first encountering Bane would have made the movie work for me.He should have been exhausted, out of options and broken before that encounter.There was no reason for Batman to lose that first fight.Again it just made him look weak, but more importantly unintelligent which to most fans is unforgivable, for no other purpose than to serve the plotline, and once you do that long time Batman fans who know the dogma will call bullshit.

Look at it this way.The Batman I know would have gone then thrown a Bat-a-Rang straight at Banes face and stomped on his head while he was having an asthma attack.A quick 2-3 minute scene of Batman exhausting his tools and stamina/strength beforehand would have fixed this flaw.As it stands the scene makes little sense hence for me, and many others according to the interwebs, the movie falls apart there-after.

Northcal