Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Matthew Good/Matthew Good Band anyone?

Started by godin, Nov 09, 2012, 06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godin

I think my favourite work from him is still with the band( either Audio of Being or Beautiful Midnight), but his solo career has been solid as well, to say the least. ( I'd put Avalanche on par with Underdogs, and White Light is probably better than Last of the Ghetto Astronauts). However, I have found that Hospital Music and everything since then hasn't been quite as amazing. Still very good, no doubt. Vancouver has grown on me as of late
Dingus.

NYRexall

Zero Orchestra was a decent departure for him. I wouldn't want to see him make a full album of songs in that style but it's fine for diversity's sake.

Audio of Being is an amazing album. I think he likes that album more than he cares to admit, even if its creation completely killed the band. There are some monster songs on that record. Man of Action, Carmelina, Advertising on Police Cars, The Rat Who Would Be King, Under the Influence. Such a great album to play from start to finish. I wish he'd have put "All Together" on there like he'd planned until the very last minute, but the album works just as well without it.

bewareofrats

I've developed a heavy appreciation for Hospital Music.  It took a while but it might be my second or third favourite solo album of his behind only Avalanche and maybe WLRARR.  There's just so much sincerity and emotion in a lot of it.  It's a surprisingly varied album for what he was going through at the time.  I like the samples or clips in the songs and the interludes.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

NYRexall

Hospital Music is an absolute epic. Every song, whether long or short, helps form the narrative arc of that album. Even the mighty Vancouver sounds dwarfed in scale by comparison, and that's no small feat.

godin

to each is own. either way, stoked to see that there are this many MG/MGB fans on here. Prior to creating this topic, I only knew of 1 other fan on this forum. And like 2 other Canadians, haha.
Dingus.

Nebontha

Seen him live 4 times, including at the Masonic Temple in Toronto a couple years ago with my family minus my father, which was recorded for a T.V. appearance.  One of my favorite musicians...
Between my mother and I (who's almost more of a fan than I am...), we own all of his albums, including both versions of In A Coma, the CD only version and the version with 2 CDs+DVD...
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

bewareofrats

Had It Coming - Matthew Good

For the first time, I am concerned about a new Matthew Good album.  The vocal style on this is not the Matthew Good I became a fan of.  It sounds Pixies-esque or something that doesn't sound natural for him to me.  It is rather upbeat and more rocking for him, which is nice every once in a while.  But none of it is anything special.  He did a more upbeat record in 2004 but that was different and worked for him in my opinion.  This new song/songs turns me the wrong way.  I really hope there's going to be more familiar Matthew Good on AoD but I have my doubts.  The extended part is better though I think.  Also, his first video since White Light Rock and Roll Review (2004).

Had it Coming/We're Long Gone:
https://soundcloud.com/#matthew-good/had-it-coming-were-long-gone

bewareofrats

godin

I am really digging these new, more upbeat/catchy Matthew Good songs. I like all his styles but this sounds like its more rocked-out and free flowing than some of his recent stuff.
Dingus.

Nebontha

QuoteBut none of it is anything special.

Agreed.  It's certainly not bad, but anything special it also certainly is not.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

godin

The new album dropped today. I have been streaming it online for the past week and I think it's his best work in awhile. Although I am usually a fan of his more "upbeat" stuff. My favourite songs are probably "Garden of Knives" and "Hey Hell Heaven".. hard to say though. Another great release by Mr. Good for sure
Dingus.

bewareofrats

Yeah, this is a pretty dern enjoyable album that is possibly the most rocking of his career.  My favourites after a couple listens are probably Via Dolorosa, Letters in Wartime and Garden of Knives.  The latter is cool, love the intro and it reminds me of Beautiful Midnight a bit.  Had It Coming is more enjoyable in context of the rest of the album.  Also, a big thumbs up in my opinion, there's more passion in MG's vocals this time around.

Arrows of Desire is a very good single choice I think.  This album has a more stripped down feel a la White Light but sounds quite a bit more MGB-esque than that album and there's more going on here.  I'm glad the drumming sounds more real for this album and there's some nice bass parts.