Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan album reviews

Started by KoiNoYokan, Nov 11, 2012, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoiNoYokan

Care to share album reviews you've seen? Both good and bad, it's always interesting to get different opinions. Overall, the album has been getting mostly positive reviews although Meta critic haven't summed them up yet.

I recommend this review:
Koi No Yokan review by Has it Leaked.

theis

DeftonesNZ

There was a thread identical to this and it got closed I think mods want this sort of stuff in the Koi No Yokan general thread

theis

Well, I'm a mod and I think it's cool to have a separate thread for reviews.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: theis on Nov 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks then it's way easier than trawling through all the pages in the other thread

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=10845724

whipsy77

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 12, 2012, 01:10 AM
Quote from: theis on Nov 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks then it's way easier than trawling through all the pages in the other thread

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/article.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=10845724

Lol, love this reply in the comments part

Deftones have mastered their art'?
'Oh and it turns out he's got a great voice'?

"Whoever wrote this is ridiculous.. Someone with more experience with this band should have written this review.

1. Their art has been mastered.
2. Every Deftones fan has been knowing that Chino has a great voice. It's not news.

At least you gave it 5/5, but seriously, you obviously don't know s*** about them."

DeftonesNZ

Yeah that made me laugh the author acts likes he surprised Chino can sing obviously hasn't listened to much Deftones lol

whipsy77

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 12, 2012, 01:59 AM
Yeah that made me laugh the author acts likes he surprised Chino can sing obviously hasn't listened to much Deftones lol

It's probably the first full Deftones album they had listened to.

Playhouse

People should give their own reviews in this thread as well.

DeftonesNZ

Swerve City:Not quite the heavy banger some people described it as before release but very good opener has good energy and is very catchy,It's very dynamic aswell it doesn't feel like it's just 2:45 long there is so many parts.

Romantic Dreams:Awesome track i was worried by preview the song has a much darker than that showed ,very rhythmic and lot's of changes which i like, it switches alot but somehow remains seamless , also very catchy lyrics.

Leathers:Very solid track think it has all the elements that make Deftones special,Probably just doesn't get enough credit because people have heard it lots already but it's really one of the highlights for me i love how it flows so well with the eerie overlapping vocals.

Poltergeist:Like leathers it's one of the best on the album it has that heaviness but then it goes into that extremely groovy chorus ,has pauses in just the right places it's just a really epic song that it seems only Deftones could write.

Entombed: This song is just beautiful it reminds alot of crosses stuff love the dreaminess of it,Stephen's sort of a constant presence with the sweet little riff it all builds up and then comes back down to just Stephen again very well done.

Graphic Nature:Good song has a cool cocky attitude to it which i like along with some very catchy lyrics great song

Tempest:this song didn't really stand out to me when it first came out but hearing it in the context of the album i've falling in love with it ,it just sort of clicked ,this song is basically what Deftones are good at really dynamic and epic sounding.

Gauze:Like this song alot ,very odd sounding riffs and i like what Chino's doing on this track with the repetition of the I bit it adds a bitter sarcasm to the song.Overall very good song with an extremely catchy chorus

Rosemary: This song is contender for my favourite of this album, it's beautiful in that Deftones way it has heavy bits but than it goes into these beautiful soaring bits.the dynamics are at there peak on this song love the contrast between the heavy riffs in the Chorus and the slow picking in the outro pure Deftones genius.

Goon Squad:This song was a real surprise for me not much had been said about it but I loved it straight away it carries on seamlessly from Rosemary with the soft intro but then it just kicks you in the face with a rolling verse the chorus is real groovy and rhythmic very catchy lyrics again this songs lyrics reminded me alot of "Lotion",Just a great Deftones song with lot's of dynamics and attitude.

What happened to you?:I actually like this song quite a lot it has beautiful lyrics and a real relaxing cruise vibe to it ,a great way to seal off the album it brings the mood down really nicely just what i've come to expect from a Deftones closer.

Overall:Overall i love this album it's consistently good there's no skip tracks for me i'm liking all of it,in fact i'm, having alot of trouble trying to find my favourite song there's about 8 possible contenders very good effort from the guys they've moved forward again and i like it alot.

Playhouse

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 12, 2012, 03:15 AM
Swerve City:Not quite the heavy banger some people described it as before release but very good opener has good energy and is very catchy,It's very dynamic aswell it doesn't feel like it's just 2:45 long there is so many parts.

Romantic Dreams:Awesome track i was worried by preview the song has a much darker than that showed ,very rhythmic and lot's of changes which i like, it switches alot but somehow remains seamless , also very catchy lyrics.

Leathers:Very solid track think it has all the elements that make Deftones special,Probably just doesn't get enough credit because people have heard it lots already but it's really one of the highlights for me i love how it flows so well with the eerie overlapping vocals.

Poltergeist:Like leathers it's one of the best on the album it has that heaviness but then it goes into that extremely groovy chorus ,has pauses in just the right places it's just a really epic song that it seems only Deftones could write.

Entombed: This song is just beautiful it reminds alot of crosses stuff love the dreaminess of it,Stephen's sort of a constant presence with the sweet little riff it all builds up and then comes back down to just Stephen again very well done.

Graphic Nature:Good song has a cool cocky attitude to it which i like along with some very catchy lyrics great song

Tempest:this song didn't really stand out to me when it first came out but hearing it in the context of the album i've falling in love with it ,it just sort of clicked ,this song is basically what Deftones are good at really dynamic and epic sounding.

Gauze:Like this song alot ,very odd sounding riffs and i like what Chino's doing on this track with the repetition of the I bit it adds a bitter sarcasm to the song.Overall very good song with an extremely catchy chorus

Rosemary: This song is contender for my favourite of this album, it's beautiful in that Deftones way it has heavy bits but than it goes into these beautiful soaring bits.the dynamics are at there peak on this song love the contrast between the heavy riffs in the Chorus and the slow picking in the outro pure Deftones genius.

Goon Squad:This song was a real surprise for me not much had been said about it but I loved it straight away it carries on seamlessly from Rosemary with the soft intro but then it just kicks you in the face with a rolling verse the chorus is real groovy and rhythmic very catchy lyrics again this songs lyrics reminded me alot of "Lotion",Just a great Deftones song with lot's of dynamics and attitude.

What happened to you?:I actually like this song quite a lot it has beautiful lyrics and a real relaxing cruise vibe to it ,a great way to seal off the album it brings the mood down really nicely just what i've come to expect from a Deftones closer.

Overall:Overall i love this album it's consistently good there's no skip tracks for me i'm liking all of it,in fact i'm, having alot of trouble trying to find my favourite song there's about 8 possible contenders very good effort from the guys they've moved forward again and i like it alot.
Nice review man

whipsy77

Video review...

He does refer to Chi as "Ching Moreno" and calls one of their softer songs is Poltergiest

Deftones - Koi No Yokan Album Review

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

DeftonesNZ

Wow it is good to see them get the credit they deserve, i've seen alot of reviews now and most of them are perfect 5/5 or 10/10 which is unheard of for most reviewers and even if they don't give it a perfect score it's 4.5/5 or 9.5/10 looks like this albums a big success i am really happy for the guys i just hope it's reflected by album sales.

whipsy77

Review from "Drum Media" A free music mag that comes out every Tuesday in Sydney..

P4n1cAtt4cK

Shadow46/2

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Nov 13, 2012, 07:08 AM
Quote from: P4n1cAtt4cK on Nov 13, 2012, 06:55 AM
Uncasing video - http://youtu.be/xRwFSjqahvg

Gorgeous booklet.
Yeah it's not well made though it already sort of worn on the folds and would rip real easily