Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan album reviews

Started by KoiNoYokan, Nov 11, 2012, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 16, 2013, 07:45 AM
Friends you are here to behold and see the beauty of the best band that ever graced the earth both in terms of style, time and place, output, live shows and the sound of the music most importantly. The deftones being true children of the Bad Brains and the most high god Jah Rastafari emperor Haile Selassie I, Jesus Christ have prevailed in the most abundant way, even after the sacrifice of their spiritual guide departed this physical realm and went on high to give them spiritual tidings from that special place we all wish to attain.

Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, includes in it not one bad track and enters into the era that we all begged for with each release from a young group who was surely to mature into seniority. the live shows are more cerebral, the songs are more powerful, even adding Jazz improve stylings to the old material, begging you that you may love the past right here and now.

The Deftones were always a band that was meant to be, they were meant to come and be the band that every one wished to be in and wished to be, most of all everyone wants to create each song and album and never more so than now today. They are here to break down barriers. Chino's vocals sore pop sentiments and soul melodies throughout each track and he still screams with the aggression of the music, making you think how can he still do that? Stephen's riffs are so full of body and movement, he's carving and creating a craft not truly known yet to man, how can something so heavy be so melodic? He makes you think shredding is for the weak and say where is the song in solos? right here with the riff is the answer. "Thou shalt believe in the riff."

Now through life experience they have matured into the perfect band they always were to become, the attainment of perfection has been attained. Back to back triumphant releases of perfectly planned and thought out albums, this band could never let down and not impress. Koi No Yokan is above opinion, it is a piece of heart and soul to be enjoyed by those who have.

Go and see them now, in there prime, in this beautiful history to be regretted if missed. - In the spirit of Chi.

This is the most inane thing I have ever read. At least the other guy's statement is somewhat well-reasoned. Yours is just a bunch of meaningless phrases.

only pieces remain

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
LOL, Deftones fans are dumb as shit.  Sometimes I wonder what percentage of Deftones fans have graduated from High School.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: nicklav on May 16, 2013, 10:24 PM
Friends you are here to behold and see the beauty of the best band that ever graced the earth both in terms of style, time and place, output, live shows and the sound of the music most importantly. The deftones being true children of the Bad Brains and the most high god Jah Rastafari emperor Haile Selassie I, Jesus Christ have prevailed in the most abundant way, even after the sacrifice of their spiritual guide departed this physical realm and went on high to give them spiritual tidings from that special place we all wish to attain.

Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, includes in it not one bad track and enters into the era that we all begged for with each release from a young group who was surely to mature into seniority. the live shows are more cerebral, the songs are more powerful, even adding Jazz improve stylings to the old material, begging you that you may love the past right here and now.

The Deftones were always a band that was meant to be, they were meant to come and be the band that every one wished to be in and wished to be, most of all everyone wants to create each song and album and never more so than now today. They are here to break down barriers. Chino's vocals sore pop sentiments and soul melodies throughout each track and he still screams with the aggression of the music, making you think how can he still do that? Stephen's riffs are so full of body and movement, he's carving and creating a craft not truly known yet to man, how can something so heavy be so melodic? He makes you think shredding is for the weak and say where is the song in solos? right here with the riff is the answer. "Thou shalt believe in the riff."

Now through life experience they have matured into the perfect band they always were to become, the attainment of perfection has been attained. Back to back triumphant releases of perfectly planned and thought out albums, this band could never let down and not impress. Koi No Yokan is above opinion, it is a piece of heart and soul to be enjoyed by those who have.

Go and see them now, in there prime, in this beautiful history to be regretted if missed. - In the spirit of Chi.

This is the most inane thing I have ever read. At least the other guy's statement is somewhat well-reasoned. Yours is just a bunch of meaningless phrases.

The current state of logic stems from complete illogic.

If I were to find a forum that hated my favorite band I surely came to the right place.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

jaypayton

I stopped reading after "Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan, includes in it not one bad track"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Zantera

I don't think either has any bad tracks to be honest. There are tracks I like less, but none that I dislike. However, an album not having a bad song doesn't necessarily mean it's the best, that also depends on how high the highs are.

sing blue silver

Loving a band doesn't mean you have to love EVERYTHING they've ever done. I love Deftones. I'm an obsessive collector, have 3 deftones tattoos with a Chi portrait coming soon, have at least 7 Deftones shirts, 3 hoodies, a windbreaker and various other merch and my friends often tell me I'm unnaturally obsessed but I can admit they have some bad material. The brilliant material more than makes up for it though. No band is infalible and though Deftones are my all time favourite band and have been for 14 years, they're not The Beatles.

Between the fanboys who refuse to believe some material has been lack luster (of which there isn't much) and the Chino groupies on Facebook who basically ruin the vibe of shows with their "I love you Chino, you're so sexy" outbursts, it's not the band I'm ashamed of, it's their fan base.

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 16, 2013, 11:33 PM

If I were to find a forum that hated my favorite band I surely came to the right place.

No one here hates Deftones. Most of us are here because of a deep love and/or respect for the band. That doesn't mean we have to worship everything they do though. We are allowed to have differing and negative opinions, and that doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 17, 2013, 12:15 AM
Loving a band doesn't mean you have to love EVERYTHING they've ever done. I love Deftones. I'm an obsessive collector, have 3 deftones tattoos with a Chi portrait coming soon, have at least 7 Deftones shirts, 3 hoodies, a windbreaker and various other merch and my friends often tell me I'm unnaturally obsessed but I can admit they have some bad material. The brilliant material more than makes up for it though. No band is infalible and though Deftones are my all time favourite band and have been for 14 years, they're not The Beatles.

Between the fanboys who refuse to believe some material has been lack luster (of which there isn't much) and the Chino groupies on Facebook who basically ruin the vibe of shows with their "I love you Chino, you're so sexy" outbursts, it's not the band I'm ashamed of, it's their fan base.

Me too, anyone that gets tattoos of any band is more then obsessed and should question why if they don't like all there stuff.

Quote from: nicklav on May 17, 2013, 12:47 AM

No one here hates Deftones. Most of us are here because of a deep love and/or respect for the band. That doesn't mean we have to worship everything they do though. We are allowed to have differing and negative opinions, and that doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

you really don't have to come in with your wanna be swagger. I can guess what the responses will be, alls people do is fight on here. I guess if I didn't like all the albums and songs and consider them spiritually heightening, then I could join your club, but that's ok I'm apart of a better club, it's called the club of true music lovers. there's no whining and complaining because one song didn't make your dick grow, its a genuine sighting of excellence on every level, nothing is perfect, but we still search for the attainment of. that I like.

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 17, 2013, 01:31 AM

Me too, anyone that gets tattoos of any band is more then obsessed and should question why if they don't like all there stuff.

you really don't have to come in with your wanna be swagger. I can guess what the responses will be, alls people do is fight on here. I guess if I didn't like all the albums and songs and consider them spiritually heightening, then I could join your club, but that's ok I'm apart of a better club, it's called the club of true music lovers. there's no whining and complaining because one song didn't make your dick grow, its a genuine sighting of excellence on every level, nothing is perfect, but we still search for the attainment of. that I like.

What the fuck does "wannabe swagger" mean? If you're so sick of Deftones "haters", why do you continue to post? You might be better off seeking spiritual enlightenment elsewhere. As it is now, you're bugging a lot of people on this board with your holier-than-thou attitude.

Jacob

Man, so much idiocy around here I don't even know where to begin. It all boils down to this: people here feel entitled to speak their opinion, as long as it's negative. Especially about the band. It's frowned upon to say something positive that somehow contradicts another persons negative view on the same matter. So you want to claim your right to speak freely and have an opinion? Yeah dipshit, then how about letting others do the same? Look up the word "hypocrite". I don't know what's worse, the people who get an e-peen from constantly dissing the band and the fans who enjoy their newer material, or the trolls who can't refrain from arguing with these self-entitled know-it-alls. Either way, what pisses me off the most is that people actually sit here and pretend like they know what the fuck the band, their manager, their label and their fucking producer thinks. Have your theories, go ahead. But to me it only looks like you're trying to blame your poor conservative tastes on someone else. Do you honestly think Chino still wants to rap and scream about teenage angst? Just because you never grew up and found happiness in life doesn't mean other people can't. If you're so miserable you demand that your favorite band remains miserable for YOUR SAKE, then you can please go and off yourself. Now.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: nicklav on May 17, 2013, 01:43 AM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 17, 2013, 01:31 AM

What the fuck does "wannabe swagger" mean? If you're so sick of Deftones "haters", why do you continue to post? You might be better off seeking spiritual enlightenment elsewhere. As it is now, you're bugging a lot of people on this board with your holier-than-thou attitude.
Holier than thou - track 3 - Metallica.

It's funny that positivity is turned upside down by you talkin', typin' motherfuckers. keep them fingers a movin', i'm going to keep on going with my lovely insights and look for others too, you can just tell us how much you dislike everything.

Let's talk about the album if anything, that's all I'm doing when I'm not wasting posts on ravers.

nicklav

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2013, 04:10 AM
Man, so much idiocy around here I don't even know where to begin. It all boils down to this: people here feel entitled to speak their opinion, as long as it's negative. Especially about the band. It's frowned upon to say something positive that somehow contradicts another persons negative view on the same matter. So you want to claim your right to speak freely and have an opinion? Yeah dipshit, then how about letting others do the same? Look up the word "hypocrite". I don't know what's worse, the people who get an e-peen from constantly dissing the band and the fans who enjoy their newer material, or the trolls who can't refrain from arguing with these self-entitled know-it-alls. Either way, what pisses me off the most is that people actually sit here and pretend like they know what the fuck the band, their manager, their label and their fucking producer thinks. Have your theories, go ahead. But to me it only looks like you're trying to blame your poor conservative tastes on someone else. Do you honestly think Chino still wants to rap and scream about teenage angst? Just because you never grew up and found happiness in life doesn't mean other people can't. If you're so miserable you demand that your favorite band remains miserable for YOUR SAKE, then you can please go and off yourself. Now.

I hope you aren't directing this at me. I really like the latest albums and I'm very happy that Chino and the rest of the band are seemingly at a good stage in their lives. At the same time, I can totally sympathize with people who don't see it the way you or others do. I'm not sure how what I said makes me a hypocrite. The only people I've seen attacking anyone in the last two pages or so are you and SwerveCityUSA. In fact, in one of his first few posts he called someone a "depressed motherfucker" for not liking the album. This is after he comes in and says his opinion is fact. That's completely uncalled for.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: nicklav on May 17, 2013, 04:46 AM

I hope you aren't directing this at me. I really like the latest albums and I'm very happy that Chino and the rest of the band are seemingly at a good stage in their lives. At the same time, I can totally sympathize with people who don't see it the way you or others do. I'm not sure how what I said makes me a hypocrite. The only people I've seen attacking anyone in the last two pages or so are you and SwerveCityUSA. In fact, in one of his first few posts he called someone a "depressed motherfucker" for not liking the album. This is after he comes in and says his opinion is fact. That's completely uncalled for.
Nope.

anyway, this album will bring the poor good tidings and set the captives free. Premonition of Love.

cvthedrv

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 17, 2013, 05:35 AM
Quote from: nicklav on May 17, 2013, 04:46 AM

Nope.

anyway, this album will bring the poor good tidings and set the captives free. Premonition of Love.

now shut up.

lostcancer

Quote from: Penicks on May 16, 2013, 06:59 PM
Quote from: musteatbrains on May 16, 2013, 07:12 AM
Friends, you are witnessing the bitter, boring end of the Deftones.  Our beloved band will not crumble due to in-fighting, disagreements, artistic differences, or anything that might actually inspire creativity and emotion.  Rather they're suffering from the exact opposite – they're mildly happy, reluctantly complacent, and frankly, bored.  You can hear it in the tired lyrics of a once-mastermind trying to imitate his former self.  Stephen hasn't had an interesting riff in years.  Even Abe's drumming, while still hard, lacks the creativity it once paraded naturally.   

This tired serenity comes through in everything – the interviews, full with identical phrases and response ("we're capturing a moment in time"); played-out setlists, robotic performances; and an overall lack of excitement.  And even though this sounds superficial, imagery is important, and this is the first record in which their physical appearances have not changed a bit.  They look identical to Diamond Eyes cycle – the DE/KNY eras are basically identical in terms of sound and image.  They even used the same producer, photographer, and used his FATHER for the artwork!  It's clear they went with the easiest, safest options – the paths of least resistance, and least reward from an artistic perspective.  And this is all because their priorities have changed. 

The beautiful thing about the Deftones is they were an unintended success.  They didn't start a band to be rock stars and to make a living.  They were in a band because they were friends who enjoyed music.  This remained the foundation for years, until recently.  They're all pushing 40 now, most have kids, some have alimony.  These are the burdens of growing the fuck up.  While I'd love to see the band in the prior, raw state, it's selfish and unrealistic. 

Koi No Yokan, which, like Diamond Eyes, was treated as a 9-5, was nothing more than an attempt to remain relevant.  Trust me – if they didn't HAVE to write this record, they would not have.  But nobody's going to book them for shows without a new record to promise some interest and ticket sales.  The record becomes a necessary evil to promote touring, which has become a necessary evil to support certain lifestyles.  At this point, what other choice do they have?  Any other career movie is extremely risky.  Risk literally cannot be afforded (yet), especially when there is more juice to squeeze from this fruit. 

They also can't afford to write music when they feel like it.  That's why they ditched Terry – because he understood how to get the best performances out of them: an utter lack of discipline.  "Let it come naturally" – the obvious mantra.  Nick couldn't give a crap about that kind of stuff.  Nick has one job – to get the record done.  Terry can get an 8/10 record out of the band, but it will take 3 years.  Nick can get a 6/10 in six months.  Which option makes more sense?  And which one sounds better to mgmt/label – obviously the moneymaker.  Reality sets in, this is what we have. 

"The shade is a tool, a device, a savior."  Yeah, swap "shade" out with "album," and here we are:  Koi No Yokan.  1.5/10 for Leathers and the decent verse of Goon Squad.

jaypayton

I think "musteatbrains" is secretly vesanic.....and everything he said is 100 percent spot on...KNY and DE are for the poser fans, the newbies, the arctic monkey hipsters.....they have become a tired predictable band by now, the setlists are as mundane as their new albums....they should release Eros as a FINAL statement and then end the band, let Chino go do his Palms thing and trip hop stuff (its obv what he secretly wants to do anyway)  Steph and Fieldy can start a band because the two of them have one thing in common...they have looked bored out of their minds on stage with their respective bands for the past 11 years...

glassdomino

i'd be alright with KNY and Eros being tombstones

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: jaypayton on May 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
I think "musteatbrains" is secretly vesanic.....and everything he said is 100 percent spot on...KNY and DE are for the poser fans, the newbies, the arctic monkey hipsters.....they have become a tired predictable band by now, the setlists are as mundane as their new albums....they should release Eros as a FINAL statement and then end the band, let Chino go do his Palms thing and trip hop stuff (its obv what he secretly wants to do anyway)  Steph and Fieldy can start a band because the two of them have one thing in common...they have looked bored out of their minds on stage with their respective bands for the past 11 years...
The musicianship on KNY is still there only the tone has changed to be more positive and the fans who are angry and bitter people themselves can't relate now that Chino isn't screaming his face off or doing the sad singing deal and instead of opening themselves to beautiful music they label it mainstream,That's just ridiculous what they're doing sonically is amazing they go from beautiful soundscapes to heavy riffs seamlessly. I used to be like those fans as a teen and I missed out on some amazing music because I didn't judge the music on it's merits but my own fucked up filters, Their music is still amazingly well crafted songs like Rosemary show this. I know everyone has been that bitter person at a point in time it's most likely the reason we all connected to Deftones music but they're just not those angry guys anymore , It's fine for not you to connect with the new stuff but just have some respect for the band they are still  great musicians even if you're on a different wave length to them.

Zantera

I feel you. I don't consider myself a crazy fanboy though, like I said, I think they have songs that certainly do less for me, but still songs that aren't bad. So, it's not like I would walk through fire to defend these songs, but on the other hand it's not "bad" in that sense. I haven't heard Adrenaline yet, but from what I have heard (a few songs), it feels like an album where some of it will probably fall under that "not bad, but not amazing" category for me. We'll see.

Romain

Quote from: jaypayton on May 17, 2013, 09:30 AM

Funny that you say such a good thing about an eventual secret me when you've said so much shit about me. Way to go.

Anyway, that wasn't me. It was way too good, both on the arguments and the language, to be me. But this message, as well as the hypothetical release of Eros, made me want to come back. Not gonna talk about Koi No Yokan. I know I'll get enough stupid messages just for being back, so let's have a fresh start and I won't be negative anymore. You all know what I think about Koi No Yokan, and musteatbrains made it all clear.

I have to quote it again, I'm sorry, but it was really impressive :

Quote from: lostcancer on May 17, 2013, 06:50 AM
Quote from: Penicks on May 16, 2013, 06:59 PM
Quote from: musteatbrains on May 16, 2013, 07:12 AM
Friends, you are witnessing the bitter, boring end of the Deftones.  Our beloved band will not crumble due to in-fighting, disagreements, artistic differences, or anything that might actually inspire creativity and emotion.  Rather they're suffering from the exact opposite – they're mildly happy, reluctantly complacent, and frankly, bored.  You can hear it in the tired lyrics of a once-mastermind trying to imitate his former self.  Stephen hasn't had an interesting riff in years.  Even Abe's drumming, while still hard, lacks the creativity it once paraded naturally.   

This tired serenity comes through in everything – the interviews, full with identical phrases and response ("we're capturing a moment in time"); played-out setlists, robotic performances; and an overall lack of excitement.  And even though this sounds superficial, imagery is important, and this is the first record in which their physical appearances have not changed a bit.  They look identical to Diamond Eyes cycle – the DE/KNY eras are basically identical in terms of sound and image.  They even used the same producer, photographer, and used his FATHER for the artwork!  It's clear they went with the easiest, safest options – the paths of least resistance, and least reward from an artistic perspective.  And this is all because their priorities have changed. 

The beautiful thing about the Deftones is they were an unintended success.  They didn't start a band to be rock stars and to make a living.  They were in a band because they were friends who enjoyed music.  This remained the foundation for years, until recently.  They're all pushing 40 now, most have kids, some have alimony.  These are the burdens of growing the fuck up.  While I'd love to see the band in the prior, raw state, it's selfish and unrealistic. 

Koi No Yokan, which, like Diamond Eyes, was treated as a 9-5, was nothing more than an attempt to remain relevant.  Trust me – if they didn't HAVE to write this record, they would not have.  But nobody's going to book them for shows without a new record to promise some interest and ticket sales.  The record becomes a necessary evil to promote touring, which has become a necessary evil to support certain lifestyles.  At this point, what other choice do they have?  Any other career movie is extremely risky.  Risk literally cannot be afforded (yet), especially when there is more juice to squeeze from this fruit. 

They also can't afford to write music when they feel like it.  That's why they ditched Terry – because he understood how to get the best performances out of them: an utter lack of discipline.  "Let it come naturally" – the obvious mantra.  Nick couldn't give a crap about that kind of stuff.  Nick has one job – to get the record done.  Terry can get an 8/10 record out of the band, but it will take 3 years.  Nick can get a 6/10 in six months.  Which option makes more sense?  And which one sounds better to mgmt/label – obviously the moneymaker.  Reality sets in, this is what we have. 

"The shade is a tool, a device, a savior."  Yeah, swap "shade" out with "album," and here we are:  Koi No Yokan.  1.5/10 for Leathers and the decent verse of Goon Squad.