Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan album reviews

Started by KoiNoYokan, Nov 11, 2012, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

NOW WITH TEN EIGHTY PEE AUDIO

BillyNo.9

Album is meh. Swerve City is okay so are a couple others. I just don't care for the new direction they're going in. Chino's crooning sounds the same in most songs.

Ah well, theres always around the fur and self titled and white pony and saturday night wrist and adrenaline and a bunch of rare shit.

Crazylegs

BillyNo.9

Deftones by the numbers and too comfortable. I agree.
Lets see all the hate from the newfags.

illthrowROCKS@U

I'll just write my own review...

Written as I listen to them:

Swerve City - My first impression I get here is Mein 2.0.  The bouncy rhythm, sounds pretty decent.  Some people don't like this song, but I don't really see anything wrong with it.  I like the Verse part a lot, Chino's voice soars here.  Chorus riff is pretty run of the mill, but still a headbanger.  Love the bridge the best, and the song is short and sweet for an opener.  - 3/5

Romantic Dreams - My least favorite song on the album, easily.  Starts off really interesting.  The "So I wait to discover..." part comes in and continues to be awesome.  Then once the chorus comes in, "I'm hypnotized by your name...," I can't help but think there's a better way they could have done that.  It sounds terrible to me, absolutely awful.  The chorus ruins, for me, what would have been a perfectly good song.  - 1/5

Leathers - Wasn't sure about this song when it first came out, was kind of disappointed.  I'm still a little disappointed, but it seems to have grown a little on me.  But, much like a tumor, it grows on you and you might get used to it.. but you would still rather it not be there.  I like the verse, a lot!  But the chorus here, again, ruins for me what would be a good song.  When I hear this chorus I'm reminded of something like My Chemical Romance or something, and it bothers the hell out of me.  The "Show your enemy, what you look like," part REALLY rocks though and makes up for the chorus a bit.  - 2/5

Poltergeist - Awesomeness, pure and simple!  One of the best on the album, it rocks.  It does have a Rocket Skates feel to it, and the working title Roller Derby kinda points to that too.  Seems to be this album's Rocket Skates, only much much better than it!  The Verse is the hardest rocker on the entire album, and then the Chorus just comes in and sends me to another plane similar to what Kimdracula does to me.  Abe's drums on this song are solid as hell, love it.  - 5/5

Entombed - KNY, as a whole, seems a lot like DE#2.  So, by this point we should all have expected the obligatory Sextape knockoff.  It's good for a slow song, which takes a lot for me to really get into (with a few exceptions I loved from the start, see: Riviere, Xerces, etc).  The bass line at 2:40 sounds awesome, but then it just kinda restarts from the beginning all over again.  The end is the absolute best part of the song, Abe's drumming kills it in the last minute starting at 4:00.  Decent.  - 3/5

Graphic Nature - One of the songs that really grabbed me at first listen.  It sounds fantastic, absolutely dark and cool.  Reminds me of their rendition of If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, which I love.  One of the best songs on the album, simple.  - 4/5

Tempest - Ok, I definitely LIKE this song... but as a single?  I'm not sure.  It sounds good, and it's great in the context of the album, but I will probably never listen to it unless I'm going through all of KNY.  The guitar songs great, and LOVE when it explodes around 3:45.  But, like I said, it's very much a slow build kind of song and really only acceptable as part of the album as a whole.  - 2/5

Gauze - Their best song since SNW, in my opinion.  I love the verse riff, sounds so cool in contrast with Franks textures.  The verse soars, as seems to be their signature nowadays.  I love the lyrics, I won't get into what I think it means.. but it hits me pretty hard.  The end gives me a Headup outro feel, which kinda harks back to their earlier days.  Def an amazing track, through and through.  - 5/5

Rosemary - In the same sense as Tempest, I just don't feel this song out of the context of the album as a whole.  I don't NOT like it, the intro and outro are sexy as hell, and the chorus just pounds you in the face, and the bridge at 5:00 is pretty rockin.  But, just like Tempest, it's a very slowwww song.. and SO GOD DAMN LONG!  I can't ever see myself listening to it on like a Deftones mix or something, and I just don't feel what everyone else seems to about this.  - 3/5

Goon Squad - Another favorite, like old school Deftones style.  The intro flows perfectly from Rosemary and lulls you into a false sense of security right before it smashes your teeth in!  Then in comes that hardcore Deftones reminiscent of that classic Headup riff, with (of course) the soaring chorus.  One of the best on the album for sure.  - 4/5

What Happened To You? - Took me a bit to get into this, but I love it!  I get a Riviere feel to it, which makes sense since that was their closer for SNW.  I like the drums, very eclectic.  My only problem is that it does seem to sort of end abruptly, but no big deal.  - 3/5

Average Score - 3.36/5

Not a bad album as far as music goes, but my 6th out of 7 total Deftones albums.. just barely beating out Diamond Eyes.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

beautyschool_elite

Alrighty, where to begin... Obviously, 1988 would be one of the best starting points; however, as most of you already know, a cult was born that day. Being a fan for almost 14 years (still counting I might add) my love for these guys has yet to subside. But I digress because, well, we're all on this forum for the exact same reason: hopeless devotion of the WORLD'S GREATEST BAND!

So I'm not going to lie, I didn't buy KOI NO YOKAN precisely on the 13th, but I figure Chino and the gang would understand that life can be a b*tch at times  [*cough* work *cough*] and I bought the album 2 days later.... Anyways, album review:

In all honesty, I'm still unsure about how I feel about the new album. I admit, I listened to KOI on repeat all day today just to figure this out. I will say it's good, but is it amazing? I don't know lol
I've heard amazingly-awesome-epic from the 'tones (aka Around the Fur, White Pony, and Diamond Eyes, all of which are completely subjective choices), but is KOI just as mind-blowing? I'm not sure.

Songs like Swerve City, Leathers, Entombed, Gauze are great. They're great because they all have a connection to older def tunes: Chino's melodic vocals (always give me a chill), heavy riffs, and ambient mixes (just to name a few). Is this a good thing? yes...and no. Do I think these songs are "safe"? Yes, but I appreciate the allusion to older tunes precisely because I love those older albums.
VERDICT:::: my opinion on Koi remains neutral lol probably not the answer you were hoping to find, yet maybe I'm not the only fan that feels this way about the new album. Am I?

But!!!!!! I still have faith in the new album. Who knows? Maybe after a few days of repeat, I'll have encountered some sort of KOI NO YOKAN epiphany *crosses fingers*

.hopelessly.devoted.

Vesanic

Here's my review:

Worst Deftones record ever.

beautyschool_elite

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 17, 2012, 04:56 AM
Here's my review:

I think it may be tied with SNW
.hopelessly.devoted.

Playhouse

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: beautyschool_elite on Nov 17, 2012, 05:08 AM
Here's my review:

Naw, KNY isn't nearly that epic! ;)
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

jez rox kaluha

My 2 cents...

Swerve City - Fun at first, now I'm a bit bored by it.  Would've been fine if this appeared on their 1st or 2nd album but kind of embarrassing when it makes the cut on #7.

Romantic Dreams - Kinda like it but should've loved it.  The time sig changes are a nice try but never seem organic, like they did it just to sound progressive & "hey everyone. our sound is evolving"

Leathers - interesting intro, nice thick riffs, great lyrics but like a lot of deftones songs over the past decade, turns into repetitive filler.  Instead of just trying to make a potential radio hit they could have stepped back & really thought about where the song could've went.  Instead, it ends up going nowhere.  After the first verse/chorus, you no longer need to keep listeneing 'cause you've already heard the whole song.  Probably the weakest track overall imo

Poltergeist - Aside from the fact that i liked the original title Roller Derby 100000x more, track 4 isnt bad but again once i listened all the way thru i knew the next time i listened i would only be listening to a certain point before skipping to something else.  The hand claps actually kinda worked for me i guess because they shouldn't have in a song this heavy.  Sergio's low end is nice & sinister but again, havent they made this type of short & sweet uptempo aggressive choppy song before (Rickets, Street Carp, Rapture, CMND?CTRL even Melanie)  What's the point?  They can do this shit in their sleep  Is it just an excuse to get another heavy track on the album?  Could've been better but instead ends up kinda lame

Entombed - Nice song.  I actually prefer more of their melodic stuff but nothing surprising here.  This song didnt need to be 5 minutes  Very monochromatic all the way thru.  Liked the lyrics, Chino's voice didnt sound strained for once & I like the electronic tinge in the drum beats but it makes its point early then has nothing new to say (Sensing a patern here?)  KNY's Sextape.  Decent song but where's the risk?  Do all their albums have to have that one or two ballad-y type team sleep song? 

Graphic Nature - not much to say except this gets my vote as most boring song on KNY & one of the most uninteresting songs they've ever done.  Not bad so much as its just kinda...there.  Nothing memorable.  Lyrics are kinda cool but idk...listened once & can safely say it wont be getting a second

Tempest - one of the best songs they've ever written...no complaints except that sadly, more songs werent like this one

Gauze - Glasssjaw called they want their song back.  Liked the syncopation just before the chorus & Frank's effects are killer but heavy for the sake of beong heavy  No imagination, no exploration  Very disappointing

Rosemary - see Tempest...although we didnt need the outro because it said to me "we need to make this song longer so people will look at the track length & think something epic is going on when really we're just adding unnecessary noise at the ends of songs"  Come to think of it, you could say the same for entombed, graphic nature, gauze & goon squad...why extend a song longer than it needs to be if you're not gonna use that time wisely.  I guess the band  heard some fans complaining that DE was too short & decided the remedy would be to make their next album hella long for the hell of it instead of making an honest effort to be exciting & fresh

Goon Squad - awesome intro followed by 4 minutes of ridiculous "WHOOS" in the chorus, a riff that may as well have been playing on a loop, and another song i would've expected from ATF era deftones  This song went on forever & just left me numb but not in a good way.  Besides the intro, the only other thing i did enjoy was the "designed for you by me" part but overall nothing special

WHTY? - Hate this song as a closer for the sole reason that we've all come to expect songs like this as a closer.  However, the only reason it works is because it's the closer so figure that one out.  Placed anywhere else on the album & I'd feel the same way for it as i do Entombed or sextape.  That being said WHTY is actually a really cool song on its own.  Simple yes but Chino's vocals & lyrics really hit me.  Anything short of the haunting qualities that Chino provides & I'd be shitting on this track but he kinda saved some greatness for last but its too late nonetheless

if there's one thing KNY accomplished it made me appreciate White Pony even more.  HUUUUUUGE disappointment.  For all the talk that this band wants to push the envelope & be more daring & experimental, they seemed to have forgotten that it needs to happen naturally.  Trying to be different is beneath a band that made its name by being different by simply existing

seasick

Honestly, I think this might be their best record yet. It took me about 18 listens to figure that one out, but that's where I stand.

Penicks

Here's my review:

come on dude, it's better than de

beautyschool_elite

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Nov 17, 2012, 06:15 AM
Quote from: beautyschool_elite on Nov 17, 2012, 05:08 AM
Here's my review:

Naw, KNY isn't nearly that epic! ;)

You thought SNW was epic?! Oh my, do elaborate :P
.hopelessly.devoted.

GrandeJano

Here's my review:

For me, that can only be Diamond Eyes. Made a mixtape yesterday and there are like two or three songs from every album on it, but I couldnt find one song from DE that was above average to me. I dont feel that record at all.

But as always: talking about music is like dancing to architecture.

Vesanic

Quote from: Penicks on Nov 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
Here's my review:

I think some songs are better than anything on DE, but as a whole DE was way more cohesive to me. KNY is just a bunch of random tracks in my opinion.

deftoner664

For sure nothing what I expected it to be. However, Rosemary, Goon Squad, Poltergeist are some pure Deftones sounding tracks. I'm sure it'll take a little time to let everyone digest it and look at it in retrospect to their past records and appreciate the album for what it is. Really it has a lot more sincerity than half the songs on DE.

3.8 out of 5
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Inkblades

Hexagram_RX

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
Quote from: Penicks on Nov 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
Here's my review:

I think some songs are better than anything on DE, but as a whole DE was way more cohesive to me. KNY is just a bunch of random tracks in my opinion.

You're a bunch of random tracks.