Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan album reviews

Started by KoiNoYokan, Nov 11, 2012, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gee

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Dec 12, 2012, 05:49 PM
I felt that KNY was MUCH more sincere than diamond eyes. But it's all about how each individual interprets the songs. The subject matter in KNY is much more relevant to my life currently than DE ever was, and I just FELT the album a hell of a lot more. Deftones always seem to releasean album that coincides with whatever is going on in my life. It's why I've stayed drawn to them for so long. DE was the only exception; I felt no connection to it really. Just enjoyed it for what it was: a batch of catchy bangers.

Different strokes, folks.

That's actually why I liked DE that much : it felt fresh, especially after SNW which was good but lacked originality, and when it actually was -e.g. Xerces or Pink Cellphone, completely missed. But like I said I'm reconsidering my opinion on that album, it holds a couple of classics -e.g. the final big three of the album.

KNY feels less fresh; but is more classic Tones to me -especially in it second half, starting with Graphic Nature : more moody, dark, depressing -exception made of WHTY.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

jciraheta

after a month , this still an amazing album for me,  ...remind me the first deftones albums when you heart it top to botton and you didnt skip almos anithing

plus has rosemary that for me is a highlight carrer , ...and really good songs like GN, WHTY , leathers etc etc

this may no be the greatest deftones album ever , but its very high for suree

sorry for my english   >:(

Northcal

pinkmaggit69

Did Rocksound not review Koi No Yokan? 

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Northcal

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Dec 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
Did Rocksound not review Koi No Yokan?
im a real fan dude, that's my review if god said it was 8 we
Argue til tha mourning, lol

pinkmaggit69

I'm asking:
Does anyone know if Rocksound (the magazine) reviewed Koi No Yokan?  It is not on their site, but usually it's in the magazine.  I remember they gave Diamond Eyes an 8, and gave SNW a 9.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

deftones47

Koi No Yokan

9/10

A very great Deftones album, but not quite their best. I still like Deftones, Around the Fur, and Diamond Eyes better.

I like the heaviness of some tracks, and the emotion of others.

Standout tracks:

Swerve City
Poltergeist
Tempest
Gauze

dopeybanana

Here's my track-by-track rev:

Swerve City : I keep falling in love with the ethereal quality of the verse sections and the floating dreamy bassline that holds it together everytime I listen to this track. Probably one of their best opening tracks and contrary to popular opinion, the song's short length is actually well-implemented as it is one of those "get in, blow minds and get out" kind of songs. 4.5/5

Romantic Dreams : I like the atmosphere conveyed by the verse, but the "So I wait to..." part feels detached and tacked on, almost like it was added at the end. The chorus has a very positive, uplifting, un-Deftonesy feel to it, but it's different and I like it. 3.75/5

Leathers : Chino does the half-scream thing here which kind of reminds me of SNW, which is cool and the high-register chorus(es) is(are) something new for me as I've gotten used to the eerily crooned almost "anti"-melodies, but it's not a bad song by any means as a good bit of heaviness is always welcome. 3.5/5

Poltergeist : Speaking of heavy, HOLY SHIT THAT RIFF! It sounds like it could belong on Meshuggah's Nothing and finally, the Around the Fur-esque crooning makes a return. Hands down, the best song on the album. 5/5

Entombed : Not as immediately affecting as the song it aspires to be (Sextape) but it does have all the familiar elements of a softer 'Tones tune and after all the hype surrounding Stef's supposed "dazzling" in this track, the actual tapping part that refers to in the song is actually a bit underwhelming. 3/5

Graphic Nature : That air-piercing opening guitar line sounds like something straight off of White Pony. Overall, a cool song but don't expect anything too adventurous from this track. 3.5/5

Tempest : A grungier take on the Deftones sound but I made the mistake of overplaying this song before I could digest the album as a whole and I can't seem to enjoy it the same way I used to. Solid, nonetheless. 4/5

Gauze : Aesthetically very similar to Graphic Nature but constructed in a more convincing manner and almost has a danceable sort of vibe to it. I can faintly hear some Glassjaw in the verses and the eight string is unleashed once again. 4/5

Rosemary : YES! Songs like this are the reason why Deftones still sound fresh and have managed to stay relevant almost two decades into their career. The "floating in the clouds" quality of the chorus is breath-takingly incredible only to culminate into an explosion of downtuned shuggah riffs and..DAt outro! 5/5

Goon Squad : It's definitely heavy and the Faith No More-inspired chorus is a nice touch but it's just too simplistic and it lacks a certain emotional edge that was present in tracks like Rats! or Bloody Cape. An extra pattern or two would have helped the song and I really wish the 'tones would experiment with song structures a little more in their future outings. Still quite enjoyable though. 3.75/5

What Happened To You? : Possibly the most positive-sounding, upbeat song in the entire Deftones discog. The repeated battering of that high note that floats under the "sky is falling down" parts works so well. A great way to end the album. 4.5/5

Overall, a more fleshed-out and progressive album than the collection of singles that Diamond Eyes was but it's not without it's flaws. Deftones have still not quite evolved from the rawer, grittier, more emotional sound of ATF or S/T and have instead put that on the back-burner and are focusing on this new direction, which is not a bad thing but I would love for them to pick up where they left off.
How neat, I'm impressed.
How did you come to be...so blessed?

nineteen

Quote from: dopeybanana on Dec 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
Here's my track-by-track rev:

Swerve City : I keep falling in love with the ethereal quality of the verse sections and the floating dreamy bassline that holds it together everytime I listen to this track. Probably one of their best opening tracks and contrary to popular opinion, the song's short length is actually well-implemented as it is one of those "get in, blow minds and get out" kind of songs. 4.5/5

Romantic Dreams : I like the atmosphere conveyed by the verse, but the "So I wait to..." part feels detached and tacked on, almost like it was added at the end. The chorus has a very positive, uplifting, un-Deftonesy feel to it, but it's different and I like it. 3.75/5

Leathers : Chino does the half-scream thing here which kind of reminds me of SNW, which is cool and the high-register chorus(es) is(are) something new for me as I've gotten used to the eerily crooned almost "anti"-melodies, but it's not a bad song by any means as a good bit of heaviness is always welcome. 3.5/5

Poltergeist : Speaking of heavy, HOLY SHIT THAT RIFF! It sounds like it could belong on Meshuggah's Nothing and finally, the Around the Fur-esque crooning makes a return. Hands down, the best song on the album. 5/5

Entombed : Not as immediately affecting as the song it aspires to be (Sextape) but it does have all the familiar elements of a softer 'Tones tune and after all the hype surrounding Stef's supposed "dazzling" in this track, the actual tapping part that refers to in the song is actually a bit underwhelming. 3/5

Graphic Nature : That air-piercing opening guitar line sounds like something straight off of White Pony. Overall, a cool song but don't expect anything too adventurous from this track. 3.5/5

Tempest : A grungier take on the Deftones sound but I made the mistake of overplaying this song before I could digest the album as a whole and I can't seem to enjoy it the same way I used to. Solid, nonetheless. 4/5

Gauze : Aesthetically very similar to Graphic Nature but constructed in a more convincing manner and almost has a danceable sort of vibe to it. I can faintly hear some Glassjaw in the verses and the eight string is unleashed once again. 4/5

Rosemary : YES! Songs like this are the reason why Deftones still sound fresh and have managed to stay relevant almost two decades into their career. The "floating in the clouds" quality of the chorus is breath-takingly incredible only to culminate into an explosion of downtuned shuggah riffs and..DAt outro! 5/5

Goon Squad : It's definitely heavy and the Faith No More-inspired chorus is a nice touch but it's just too simplistic and it lacks a certain emotional edge that was present in tracks like Rats! or Bloody Cape. An extra pattern or two would have helped the song and I really wish the 'tones would experiment with song structures a little more in their future outings. Still quite enjoyable though. 3.75/5

What Happened To You? : Possibly the most positive-sounding, upbeat song in the entire Deftones discog. The repeated battering of that high note that floats under the "sky is falling down" parts works so well. A great way to end the album. 4.5/5

Overall, a more fleshed-out and progressive album than the collection of singles that Diamond Eyes was but it's not without it's flaws. Deftones have still not quite evolved from the rawer, grittier, more emotional sound of ATF or S/T and have instead put that on the back-burner and are focusing on this new direction, which is not a bad thing but I would love for them to pick up where they left off.

Agree with the part in Romantic Dreams... It does sound pasted on but I think it is supposed to reflect the nature of the song with the dreams aspect and how they shift. Could be wrong.

ghettovaquero

entombed sucks. poltergeist sucks. gauze sucks. romantic dreams got boring. graphic nature, is boring.

listen to Rosemary, Goon Squad, Tempest. rest of the record is quite frankly forgettable

domaug

Quote from: ghettovaquero on Dec 31, 2012, 05:20 PM
entombed sucks. poltergeist sucks. gauze sucks. romantic dreams got boring. graphic nature, is boring.

listen to Rosemary, Goon Squad, Tempest. rest of the record is quite frankly forgettable

pony_01

Quote from: domaug on Jan 01, 2013, 07:44 PM
Quote from: ghettovaquero on Dec 31, 2012, 05:20 PM

it sooo wrong lol

Drop-Dead

Here's my review if it matters to anyone:

I've been listening to KNY for last couple of weeks, I didn't have the time to listen to it carefully due to my non-stop, 24/7, moderator job around here...ya know it's life.

Adrenaline, ATF & WP are perfect records so after all these years I knew the Deftones would not be able to come even closer to such perfection.
KNY is Leathers, Poltergeist, Rosemary, Tempest and that's it. The album is full of filler songs, not even the ones I've just mentioned are even close to the worst tracks in their first three records (if there are bad songs at all in those records).

Yes I have the balls to stand up, as a die-hard fan, and say that I don't like the album and I think that they need to change something if they want to keep with the old school fans. Yes you can come and say the band's getting older and they need to change their music and stuff, yes you're right, I loved what they did with WP, but one thing is going experimental and giving your best on what you're doing, another is what they did, which was just take some fillers and there you go a new album. I can compare this to dredg's chuckles...but know what? If I ever had to choose between chuckles and KNY I'd choose chuckles, this way you can feel what I feel about this album.

I loved how Stef sounded with his raw guitars, but now he plays some kick ass 99 strings guitars that sound like the same in every song. I loved how Chino rapped, whispered, screamed, moaned, but now he seems to be influenced by some sort of Kate Perry virus or something. Abe is Abe period, Frank and Sergio go with the flow.

These are 5 talented musicians, they can go wherever their label and their minds lead them to, and with KNY the were leaded to the worst album of their career. I can live with that, I will listen to it again, I will skip some songs, I forgive and yes I won't forget how great their previous records were.

Maybe they are getting new fans with this 'so so' style, but if you are an old school fan you know what I mean, and I fuckin mean it. Let's hope for better days ahead..

Deftones 4 ever. Amen.

nineteen

Picks up where ATF left off for me. Probably a bit stupid to say that.

DeftonesNZ

I see alot of the old school fans saying they don't like KNY which is fair enough they're allowed their opinions but I think alot of them need to realize it's 2013 and if Deftones had stuck to the Chino rapping and screaming formula they would have faded into obscurity like the other nu-metal bands, the fact they have achieved such longevity is amazing and they have always managed to do their own thing and somehow still remain relevant. I think it's just a case of the band members and some old fans growing in different directions I doubt they're ever going back to the old style and i think if they did it wouldn't be the same it would just be a bunch of 40 yr olds complaining about teenage problems, adrenaline and those early albums are magic because they captured what it's like to be a teen but at some point they have to move on otherwise the music becomes insincere and stale. I personally feel really lucky because I connect in some with all their albums I think as-long they're enjoying making music then they should keep doing it just because you don't get the new stuff it doesn't mean it's irrelevant there's a whole new generation of fans getting their lives changed by these albums I'm just glad some form of  non pop is getting through to this generation.

Christopher

As someone who 'backed into' the discography (first actual purchase was ATF due to most familiarity) but quickly listened through to all albums in original order. A few EPs and assorted stuff I'm yet to pick up but I EAGERLY awaited KNY after hearing a couple of tracks. Played DE a *lot* both before and after buying it, a great album.

I really love the band's progression and gradual inclusion of elements of other rock subgenres. Their earlier sound hooked me and it grows as I grow. So many references to other styles, bands and themes, complex music for complex times. And how can you not love the album simply for the fact that its nadir is that mesmerising masterpiece Rosemary? They played it live last night, I closed my eyes and let it wash over me. Incredible.

I accept there'll be people who only ever like their earlier work and that's very understandable, I'm heavily invested in electronica and for me there's a parallel with some artists and genres like dubstep. (love the sound from 2004-2008, but too much of the brostep influence slowly crept in and now the vast majority of dubstep you hear sounds terrible. However the partygoers seem to lap that shit up like it's chocolate ice cream so who am I to say it's not as good as earlier stuff?).

Longstem

Where DE is the album of mediocrity (not one bad song, not one worldclass), KNY is one of heights and lows. There are some amazing songs like Romantic Dreams, Leathers but also the most boring and awful songs (Goon Squad for exp) ever made by Deftones.

Penicks

how is goon squad boring and awful? atmospheric intro, check, explodes, check, swaggy chorus, check, vocals where chino actually screams and not shouts like the rest of the album, check

best song on kny

pony_01

Quote from: Penicks on Feb 24, 2013, 05:25 PM
how is goon squad boring and awful? atmospheric intro, check, explodes, check, swaggy chorus, check, vocals where chino actually screams and not shouts like the rest of the album, check

best song on kny

this

from_musings

after listening to this album for a couple of months and letting it sink in, i can still say: poltergiest is the best song they've written since buffalo/finger of death. royal and prince are great songs too, but this one just kills it. still getting chills from it, i'm feeling like frosty the snowman everytime im blasting it