Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan Mastering

Started by whiskeyandwine, Nov 17, 2012, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicholasHume

For those who wish to have their FLAC files in iTunes - I converted the files to AIFF using XLD - but my iPod is old (apparently) so it doesn't support AIFF or Apple Lossless files, so I had to settle for LAME Mp3 which *sighs* will do, I guess. Haha

laurapalmer

Anyone listen to the record on spotify? It sounds better than the CD does to me.

scatterbrain

Quote from: NicholasHume on Nov 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
For those who wish to have their FLAC files in iTunes - I converted the files to AIFF using XLD - but my iPod is old (apparently) so it doesn't support AIFF or Apple Lossless files, so I had to settle for LAME Mp3 which *sighs* will do, I guess. Haha
If you decompres the FLAC,to 16 bit. WAV,it will work.also for old ipods there's plenty of firmware to let it play .FLAC.you can also use foobar 2000 with the ipod plugin to add flac to it.
im me and thats all ill ever be

Sunbath

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Nov 24, 2012, 03:06 AM
Does anyone have a link for download of this version? I've been dicking with rutracker for about 10 minutes and can't manage do find shit.

There you go: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD093624946649

Tavo805

alvarezbassist17

Thanks to whiskeyandwine and Slacker for the advice.  Just d/led the HDtracks version and bumped up my sound card and holy shit.

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Quote from: Sunbath on Nov 24, 2012, 05:07 AM
Does anyone have a link for download of this version? I've been dicking with rutracker for about 10 minutes and can't manage do find shit.

There you go: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD093624946649

Thanks but I've already bought the cassette single ($15 with an album d/l that doesn't work), the CD ($12.98) and the vinyl ($24.99). I'm not looking to drop another $20 on this album just so I can get the decent listen that I should have been privy to already.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks but I've already bought the cassette single ($15 with an album d/l that doesn't work), the CD ($12.98) and the vinyl ($24.99). I'm not looking to drop another $20 on this album just so I can get the decent listen that I should have been privy to already.
Yeah i wasn't willing to spend anymore money for the same songs there's a torrent download link on one of the earlier pages

ominousnimbus

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

Good for you, seriously. As much as I like having this record available in audiophile quality, I feel like the entire HDTracks premise almost amounts to extortion of those who care about good sound. If we all pony up the exorbitant $20 they want for the same album we already bought, what's to stop record companies from thinking "hmm, maybe we should purposely brickwall the mastering on ALL our albums so as to necessitate more profitable HDTracks sales to audiophiles, who will likely still buy the CD regardless?"

If it were just extra to get 24/96, that would be one thing. It's the fact that we're supposed to pay up just to hear a decent master that gets me.

Caín

mr.sinister

Quote from: NicholasHume on Nov 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
Won't it lose quality if you change it from FLAC to AIFF? I mean, I know they are both lossless formats but when you convert it from one format to another did it still stay as a 24 bit file with 96000hz sampling rate? I am wondering this because I would also like to put this on my iPod as I think the HD master sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Slacker

does ipod support 24 bit?

my sis got herself and ipad, and she had to get a freaking 24/96 matrix adapter that works a a DAC and supports the 24 bit, then she sends the signal through out coaxial cable to a portable amplifier, and then to the headphones...

psianide

Regarding the HDtracks version of the album.  I love it! 
Not that the original was bad, but I prefer the dynamic range of the 24/96 version over the squeezed compression on the CD.  The albums breathes more and the drums and Franks parts are more noticeable.  The bass seems better, but my monitors aren't capable of the really deep bass.

I wish more artists released alternate versions of their music in high quality that is less compressed/loud.  Because if you listen to this album in the same DB range as the CD version your ears will have less fatigue, which is a problem with so many of the albums that are released,  RHCP's Californication being one of the more egregious examples of  the loudness wars and ear fatigue happening almost immediately.

A few Years back Nine Inch Nails released their album "The Slip" for free, not a penny was needed to download in high quality Mp3 or the superior 24 bit 96 hz quality.
I know Trent and Nine Inch Nails is different in that he was free from a record label and has a bit larger fan base, but the fact remains that artists who release their music in multiple formats please their fans even greater.   Often times its the little things that keep people listening to the music years later.

I applaud Deftones for having this released in HQ and think more bands should do this.

I don't believe that Ipods support 24 bit natively, I could be wrong, but most audiophiles will tell you that Ipods aren't really meant for the highest quality DAC, they are meant for the average Joe who just wants to hear music and could care less about lossless music. 
Most people can't hear the difference between 192 mp3's and their WAV counterparts, so Apple and the rest don't have to worry about "subpar bitrate" rants being thrown their way.

Ataraxia2320

I would also love a link to this. I would just rebuy it but I've already bought the CD twice and I dont feel like forking out another 20 bucks for a slightly better sounding copy.

pinata89

Quote from: Ataraxia2320 on Apr 06, 2016, 04:39 AM
I would also love a link to this. I would just rebuy it but I've already bought the CD twice and I dont feel like forking out another 20 bucks for a slightly better sounding copy.
Same

ominousnimbus

Looks like this discussion will be relevant to Gore, unsurprisingly. A ReplayGain scan of the CD rip gives a -11.32 dB adjustment for the album.  ::)

So, unless we get an HDTracks version, audiophiles will once again be left searching for a pristine vinyl rip to hear the dynamics.

pinata89

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 06, 2016, 05:14 AM
Looks like this discussion will be relevant to Gore, unsurprisingly. A ReplayGain scan of the CD rip gives a -11.32 dB adjustment for the album.  ::)

So, unless we get an HDTracks version, audiophiles will once again be left searching for a pristine vinyl rip to hear the dynamics.
Ugh

sharinglungs

wouldn't this be the "HDTracks" version

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/gore-deftones/0093624926467

96/24

ominousnimbus

Quote from: sharinglungs on Apr 06, 2016, 06:26 AM

Hmm, good find. That's promising.

The real issue is whether they produced an audiophile-oriented master, separate from the CD master (which is brickwalled and loses a lot of the dynamics).

It's possible the Qobuz hi-fi version is from a separate master; it's also possible, if not likely, that such a master would be what's pressed to vinyl (assuming two masters were made). If so, we're in luck. Personally, I'm really hoping for a digital download of the audiophile version (via Qobuz, HDTracks, or wherever), because vinyl rips have a lot of unnecessary background noise.

If the Qobuz copy is just higher bitrate, but it's the same master used for the CD, it's all but useless though. Given the exact same source material, practically no one can hear the difference between CD quality (16/44) and 24/96, especially with audio equipment affordable by mere mortals.

YouWOuldKnow

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 06, 2016, 06:38 AM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Apr 06, 2016, 06:26 AM

There's this site that's pretty kick ass... especially when you search for hdtracks...

Hmm, good find. That's promising.

The real issue is whether they produced an audiophile-oriented master, separate from the CD master (which is brickwalled and loses a lot of the dynamics).

It's possible the Qobuz hi-fi version is from a separate master; it's also possible, if not likely, that such a master would be what's pressed to vinyl (assuming two masters were made). If so, we're in luck. Personally, I'm really hoping for a digital download of the audiophile version (via Qobuz, HDTracks, or wherever), because vinyl rips have a lot of unnecessary background noise.

If the Qobuz copy is just higher bitrate, but it's the same master used for the CD, it's all but useless though. Given the exact same source material, practically no one can hear the difference between CD quality (16/44) and 24/96, especially with audio equipment affordable by mere mortals.