Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan Mastering

Started by whiskeyandwine, Nov 17, 2012, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0S3BLEED976

Man, I wish I had the 20$ to buy those hd tracks... The previews sound far superior than the CD

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
Man, I wish I had the 20$ to buy those hd tracks... The previews sound far superior than the CD
Yeah same ,it sucks we have to in the first place i already bought the CD

shoop

we should have just all thrown down a dollar and shared it for everyone. unless a lot of the $ goes to the band..

shoop

Slacker

you gotta enable the 24 bit reproduction on your soundcard though (if it supports it), otherwise the magic aint really happening.

i dont think the previews need it though, in any case, you have to enable it, if you ought to enjoy it.

shoop

Quote from: Slacker on Nov 18, 2012, 01:09 AM
you gotta enable the 24 bit reproduction on your soundcard though (if it supports it), otherwise the magic aint really happening.

i dont think the previews need it though, in any case, you gonna have it enable if you ought to enjoy it.
Ahh.. so it's only really meant for a computer? Nevermind then lol, my soundcard/speakers on this one are the lowest of the low. Thanks asshole who jacked my old pc with 5.1 lol, FUCK. Could anyone recommend me a nice 5.1 or even just a normal pair of pc speakers that are fairly cheap but definitely quality?

ominousnimbus

Thanks so much for pointing out the existence of this master... just grabbed the 16/44 downsampled copy on What.

A few minutes of listening has just left me shaking my head, as someone who bought the CD. I'll probably delete my CD rip and never touch it again. There is absolutely no comparison in the quality of the drums.

I'm young enough that this loudness-war bullshit has been the scourge of the industry for as long as I can remember, so at least I didn't have to watch as any care for audio fidelity slipped out of the consumer's fingers through the late 90s and early 00s. A few comments:

1. If you can get a hold of this rip, do so, regardless of whether you have a fancy sound card that can output 24/96. If your speakers cost under a grand there's almost no chance you'd even be able to discern between 24/96 and 16/44 of the same master, but the difference between masters (regardless of resolution) is night and day.

2. It is incredibly disconcerting to see that they went to the care to produce this "proper" master, then put in extra effort to intentionally sabotage it for the CD. After years of getting worked up about every other new release, I've almost resigned myself to audiophiles (and all who give two shits about quality) losing the loudness war... but seeing this master is just salt in the wound. I can only wonder how many other wonderful albums that have been ruined by awful production and mastering have similar copies sitting in some dark warehouse owned by the big record companies.

3. Someone on the last page hit the nail on the head: most artists don't care about, or even understand, the issue. It's just an unfortunate reality that most of us are either left-brained or right-brained, and many (not all) highly-productive creative artists like musicians are not analytical enough to care about this type of technical mumbo jumbo. And if they don't care, then mastering decisions come down to soulless executives who'd be happy to shit all over the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON of our generation and clip it to hell if their narrow-minded market studies suggested it might add 4% to first-week sales.

EDIT: Figures, fucking buffoons screwed up the track transitions in the HD master by inserting silence. I guess it's just that difficult to get this stuff right when it's your livelihood. Fuck this industry, lol.

shoop

ok........ now I want it all over again. Anyone? fuck.

DeftonesNZ

I really want it now as well feel kind of ripped off by the cd

Ortegasm

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Nov 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
Thanks so much for pointing out the existence of this master... just grabbed the 16/44 downsampled copy on What.

A few minutes of listening has just left me shaking my head, as someone who bought the CD. I'll probably delete my CD rip and never touch it again. There is absolutely no comparison in the quality of the drums.

I'm young enough that this loudness-war bullshit has been the scourge of the industry for as long as I can remember, so at least I didn't have to watch as any care for audio fidelity slipped out of the consumer's fingers through the late 90s and early 00s. A few comments:

1. If you can get a hold of this rip, do so, regardless of whether you have a fancy sound card that can output 24/96. If your speakers cost under a grand there's almost no chance you'd even be able to discern between 24/96 and 16/44 of the same master, but the difference between masters (regardless of resolution) is night and day.

2. It is incredibly disconcerting to see that they went to the care to produce this "proper" master, then put in extra effort to intentionally sabotage it for the CD. After years of getting worked up about every other new release, I've almost resigned myself to audiophiles (and all who give two shits about quality) losing the loudness war... but seeing this master is just salt in the wound. I can only wonder how many other wonderful albums that have been ruined by awful production and mastering have similar copies sitting in some dark warehouse owned by the big record companies.

3. Someone on the last page hit the nail on the head: most artists don't care about, or even understand, the issue. It's just an unfortunate reality that most of us are either left-brained or right-brained, and many (not all) highly-productive creative artists like musicians are not analytical enough to care about this type of technical mumbo jumbo. And if they don't care, then mastering decisions come down to soulless executives who'd be happy to shit all over the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON of our generation and clip it to hell if their narrow-minded market studies suggested it might add 4% to first-week sales.

EDIT: Figures, fucking buffoons screwed up the track transitions in the HD master by inserting silence. I guess it's just that difficult to get this stuff right when it's your livelihood. Fuck this industry, lol.

I was JUST about to download the HD but resisted after you said the transitions aren't there.. Da fuq?

cheachea

Meh, I think the cd version sounds fine.

*I hated the Remastered version of The Cure's- Disintegration cd. The 1989 original cd version is way better.

* I actually like the Remastered version of Glass Jaw's- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence on itunes. It sounds better than the original, but doesn't take away the atmosphere or feeling of the original .
Poyt Chops

whiskeyandwine

Quote from: ominousnimbus on Nov 18, 2012, 06:12 AM

After I converted to apple lossless I don't notice any gaps in the playback or transitions.

whiskeyandwine

I want to know if an alternative master for DIAMOND EYES exists

Deftones-argentina

if somebody feels caritative, please pm me this 96khz rip. I'm not able to buy the motherfucker digitally, but at least i'm buying the cd, so money goes to the deftones. (well, metaphorically, at least)

Slacker

dont be fooled though.

when you listen to the 24 bit release, yes. it sounds "noticeable softer" than the mp3, or flac rips.

though when you listen it with proper equipment, you should be able to notice the greater extention of the instruments, separation and fidelity all around. it is not a listen for all.

gui

downloading this illegally because i already bought the cd.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: gui on Nov 18, 2012, 04:22 PM

Can you tell me where you found it?

Numina

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 18, 2012, 04:51 PM

He's probably just stating his intention to download it. As in "I am going to download this illegally because I've already bought the CD."

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Numina on Nov 18, 2012, 04:56 PM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Nov 18, 2012, 04:51 PM

He's probably just stating his intention to download it. As in "I am going to download this illegally because I've already bought the CD."

Yeah, I think you're right. Silly me...

gui