Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Koi No Yokan Mastering

Started by whiskeyandwine, Nov 17, 2012, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bewareofrats

You people are making too much of it.  It doesn't really sound any better to me in the previews.  I'm just sick of production/mixing/mastering criticism.  Yes it's not the best produced cd in the world but it's plenty good enough.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

DeftonesNZ

Someone already posted the site you can get it from earlier that russian on,and yes it does sound better try listening to it on a proper surround sound system and you will notice the improvement

ominousnimbus

Quote from: Slacker on Nov 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
Quote from: whiskeyandwine on Nov 19, 2012, 09:57 PM
I'll say it again, but I want a studio master of Diamond Eyes... I think this suffers a bit of the same problem.  The last record mastered perfectly in my opinion was the S/T.  Every instrument sounds perfect in the mix.

thats due too:

terry v/s nick
Terry did a great job for Deftones several records in a row, but I'll never in my life forgive him for what he did to dredg on Catch Without Arms. It's just kind of funny, being a newcomer to this board, seeing everyone sing his praises. I hated him more than any man on earth for about a year after that record came out!

The mix on the Nick-produced records hasn't been the best, but the overall sound isn't bad. I've heard far worse. His production isn't exquisite and doesn't necessarily elevate DE/KNY to their greatest potential, but it doesn't completely ruin them either... which far too many rock producers these days do.

bewareofrats

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 20, 2012, 02:15 AM
Someone already posted the site you can get it from earlier that russian on,and yes it does sound better try listening to it on a proper surround sound system and you will notice the improvement
I listen to music through headphones.

jujuslim

? Where is it on this Russian site??

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: jujuslim on Nov 20, 2012, 04:06 AM
? Where is it on this Russian site??
You have to sign up and then you just search koi no yokan it's the one around a gig in size

NYRexall

Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 20, 2012, 02:23 AM

Exactly.

The HD files and the CD, even with compression, don't make a significant difference. I own high end audio speakers, headphones, etc. and this difference is marginal. People make entirely too big a deal about this shit and probably can't tell up from down anymore, they're so worried that the music is compressed or clipped.

Over-analyzing is what saps music of its vitality, not some shitty producer.

DeftonesNZ

I don't usually care about getting flac files and stuff or the technical stuff like compression it just purely sounds better to me

bewareofrats

ominousnimbus

Quote from: Black on Nov 20, 2012, 04:48 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 20, 2012, 02:23 AM

Exactly.

The HD files and the CD, even with compression, don't make a significant difference. I own high end audio speakers, headphones, etc. and this difference is marginal. People make entirely too big a deal about this shit and probably can't tell up from down anymore, they're so worried that the music is compressed or clipped.

Over-analyzing is what saps music of its vitality, not some shitty producer.
It's too bad your attitude is so prevalent in the general public, or maybe we'd actually get well-produced albums more than 20% of the time these days.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand remarks along the lines of: "just shut up and enjoy the music, quit overanalyzing!" Bad production bothers me to the point that I can't enjoy the music. And even mediocre production makes music noticeably less enjoyable than pristine production. Sensitivity to technical aspects of the audio isn't a bad thing.

I'll concede that KNY isn't that bad to begin with, and I don't find myself continuously obsessing over the production while listening. Also, it's true that the difference between the CD and HDTracks master isn't huge. Still, I don't think anyone should be making any excuses for brickwalled masters and overcompression. It's entirely preventable and has no upside. These guys get paid to engineer audio to make it sound the best it possibly can, and anything short of excellence in that regard is worthy of criticism.

Slacker

Quote from: bewareofrats on Nov 20, 2012, 02:12 AM
You people are making too much of it.  It doesn't really sound any better to me in the previews.  I'm just sick of production/mixing/mastering criticism.  Yes it's not the best produced cd in the world but it's plenty good enough.

the previews are not valid references for 24 bit music reproduction. you have to hear it, with proper enabled equipment.

Inertiatic-Wrist

Well, I have to say it's not a night and day difference but I can definitely hear a separation of the instruments more, especially Frank's little touches stand out FAR more. And there's not the almost static-like sound of it being too loud. It may sound extreme but hearing all of Frank's work, especially in songs like "Gauze" makes me like the album a lot more.

aeroplume

For the second time, there is no audible difference between 320 mp3s and flac files. No. Audible. Difference. Whatsoever.

aeroplume

Not stating that there is not a difference, because technically there is, but there is no audible difference.

Slacker

Quote from: aeroplume on Nov 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
For the second time, there is no audible difference between 320 mp3s and flac files. No. Audible. Difference. Whatsoever.

16 years of digital music experience says, there is.

medic1

This isn't even a question of audiophile or not. It's whether you care to listen to high-quality or not. There's audible difference if you listen to instrument separation and clipping of the tracks. You should also get rid of your iBuds because they won't cut it when actually trying to compare fidelity. There are many cheap choice hi-fidelity headphones and stereos out there. If you buy a $25 pair of Sennheiser buds, I promise you, your ears will be able to hear a difference.

I had to actually sign on to say this, because I am actually happy there are people on this forum that understand audio recording. If this stuff didn't matter, then the music industry should just bypass audio mastering all together, and screw mic placement ... let's just put a single vocal mic in front of the band and press the button with red dot on it.

M1GHTY M4VS

Quote from: medic1 on Nov 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
If this stuff didn't matter, then the music industry should just bypass audio mastering all together, and screw mic placement ... let's just put a single vocal mic in front of the band and press the button with red dot on it.
You know most of the society is like that, but instead of a cassette recorder like in 80s they now use that iHearSomething from AppleLemon and press play just because people want it easy.

DeftonesNZ

It does sound different i guess some people just can't hear it,it's hard to explain but each element sounds more individual

ominousnimbus

Quote from: Slacker on Nov 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
Quote from: aeroplume on Nov 20, 2012, 05:44 PM

16 years of digital music experience says, there is.
I consider myself pretty sensitive to audio quality, and own a decent (though not fancy) setup with bookshelf speakers and Grado headphones. Personally, I'm not sure I've ever been able to discern between lossless audio and 320kbps MP3. I still strongly prefer lossless, and will only purchase digital downloads if they're FLAC/WAV, but my reasoning is more for the ability to transcode to different formats than being able to hear a difference. I don't doubt that those with 95th-percentile hearing and $5000 speakers can tell in some cases, though.

OTOH, I don't even know why 320kbps came up in the first place, because these HDTracks files are FLAC. If aeroplume's point is that a 320kbps conversion of these HDtracks files is sufficient for most listeners, I'd agree. The difference in the mastering is probably about 500x more significant than any difference between FLAC and 320 MP3.

cheachea

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Nov 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Glassjaw didn't approve of the remaster.
[/quote]

Interesting, I didn't know that.
Poyt Chops