Previous topic - Next topic

dictatesofreason

chuckles

Quote from: pinkmaggit on Jan 05, 2013, 08:02 PM
Quote from: chuckles on Dec 28, 2012, 02:34 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Dec 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
Quote from: Caín on Dec 18, 2012, 10:42 AM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Dec 18, 2012, 12:16 AM
Don't fucking listen to them then,the majority of people are really enjoying KNY this happens every-time a new album comes out ,they always lose some fans and gain more new ones.They're still making great music whether you like it or not if you want the old sound listen to the old albums simple as that,I can't believe people get shitty when they mix up their sound they do it all the time that's why they're still around.

Every time I hear that shit I just shake my head. The mix up their sound? It has been virtually the same since s/t. It's the same boring ass shit. No matter how many strings Stef puts on his guitars, it's all the same. The same shitty, uninspired two tone chugga chugga with Chino doing some inhale cat screams to top off that shit sandwich. They don't push themselves any more. White Pony was a step in the right direction, it really was. Their next record should have been their Kid A. Instead they produced an uninspired, redundant two tone snoozefest with no highlights, no creativity, no nothing. How they could think this was a winning formula and continue on that path, nobody can understand.

You can decide to not like the newer songs, that's fine.  But to say they haven't been different is completely incorrect, are you deaf?  WP to S/T was a big change, S/T to SNW was a big change (their 2 best albums!), SNW to DE was a change, and even DE to KNY was a change... They change EVERY album, and have since the beginning!  I bet if they stayed the same since WP you'd be complaining they haven't done anything different in over a decade like Disturbed/Korn/et al.  Can't please some people... whatever, I say KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DEFTONES.

No se que decir caín.. Solo que me das Pena...

Speak English you retard, noone here gives a shit about your grasp of foreign languages, you must be lost, this is Sharing Lungs not Compartir los Pulmones!

sooo.. im lost just because I can speak another language?! damn, that was harsh... & btw dont use google translator anymore it is damaging your reputation... XD
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

Caín

Fuck, people here really have no clue what "keeping their sound fresh/mixing up their sound" even means.

Listen to the following records:
Radiohead - OK Computer -> Kid A
Sepultura - Arise -> Chaos A.D.
Blur - blur -> 13
Glassjaw - Everything you ever wanted to know -> Worship and Tribute
Hopesfall - The Frailty of Words -> Satellite Years
Poison the Well - Tear From the Red -> You Come Before You
Refused - Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent -> The Shape of Punk to Come
deftones - Around the Fur -> White Pony

Those are all significant leaps. Everything post White Pony was not.

DeftonesNZ

I don't get how everyone else see's it except you, your the first person i've seen who doesn't see it, I know who I trust... it's so obvious I can't believe your saying there's no difference from White Pony to the heavy rawness of Self Titled (with 7string) or from that to the sweetness of SNW, alot of times I've played people both those albums and they've thought they were separate bands.

SNW to Diamonds they changed aswell with the introduction of 8 string the songs became somewhat of a combination of SNW and Self Titled with heavy chugging over the top of eerie soundscapes  with simple lyrics and from Diamond Eyes to KNY is pretty big KNY is alot more intricate with more lyrics and changes instrumentally it's also alot more dynamic when it comes to a songs direction not to mention the introduction of new techniques like finger tapping or Chino stepping up his guitar game allowing for more layered guitar. I've heard some people say some stupid stuff about Deftones but I've never ever seen someone say they haven't changed their sound it's one of the traits they're famous for they can't even keep the same guitar tuning for more than one album for fuck sakes.

nicklav

Quote from: Caín on Jan 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
Fuck, people here really have no clue what "keeping their sound fresh/mixing up their sound" even means.

Blur - blur -> 13

You must be listening to a different band.

Jerry_Curls

Blur - blur -> 13

A lot of these examples are bands' 2nd albums going into their 3rd. Deftones are on their 8th. If they did what you're expecting of them to do; change that drastic this late in the game, the probably would have a 10-string guitar, a didgeridoo, wind chimes, and field recordings, with chino tapdancing...they wouldn't have a fanbase and only cater to people who like weird obscure shit like that. I hear things in KNY that they haven't done before and it excites me. And as we can telll, they haven't excited you since 2002 or so...maybe stop following them?
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

nineteen

Blur - blur -> 13

Gotta agree with this. Whilst the leaps are evident, they aren't as much as the albums given as examples.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah they aren't always as significant but what he originally said was that there was no change at all and as someone said alot of bands have that change in sound going from 2nd to 3rd, what makes Deftones special is the fact they are at their 7th album and are still striving to mix up their sound unlike the majority of bands who take 2 or 3 albums to find a sound and then stick with it for the rest of their career until they eventually become irrelevant, I think you'd have to admit Deftones are changing something I don't see why else they've managed to stay relevant and gained new fans while all the other "nu-metal" bands have faded into obscurity,I just find it amazing how they released their first album 18 years ago and are still making great music while still retaining a unique sound and the respect of their peers.

Braincleaner

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 08, 2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah they aren't always as significant but what he originally said was that there was no change at all and as someone said alot of bands have that change in sound going from 2nd to 3rd, what makes Deftones special is the fact they are at their 7th album and are still striving to mix up their sound unlike the majority of bands who take 2 or 3 albums to find a sound and then stick with it for the rest of their career until they eventually become irrelevant, I think you'd have to admit Deftones are changing something I don't see why else they've managed to stay relevant and gained new fans while all the other "nu-metal" bands have faded into obscurity,I just find it amazing how they released their first album 18 years ago and are still making great music while still retaining a unique sound and the respect of their peers.

This!

BillyNo.9

There's not much of leap between Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. They both have that "shitty" vibe going on.

sooniletugo

Quite the contrary, my dear.

dictatesofreason

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jan 08, 2013, 09:08 PM
There's not much of leap between Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. They both have that "shitty" vibe going on.
hey fuckhead if you are going to talk shit about this band, then get off the board, i mean do you get off by gettin on sl , a deftones board, and talking about how shitty eveyrthing is? what it is with you people ?

if you dont like the music then get away from it.

BillyNo.9

I like pretty much every song they've ever made, except anything of DE and KNY. How is that a problem?
In my opinion DE was lacking and KNY followed suit. Y you so mad?

E-Money

I'm still loving KNY.  Its even made me appreciate DE more.  This is the new age of deftones and I'm really enjoying it so far.  They always push the boundaries and never make the same record twice.  Rosemary and What Happened to You will be songs I will enjoy for the rest of my life. 

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: dictatesofreason on Jan 11, 2013, 03:26 AM
Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jan 08, 2013, 09:08 PM
hey fuckhead if you are going to talk shit about this band, then get off the board, i mean do you get off by gettin on sl , a deftones board, and talking about how shitty eveyrthing is? what it is with you people ?

if you dont like the music then get away from it.

The elite are so powerful

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: E-Money on Jan 15, 2013, 05:48 AM
I'm still loving KNY.  Its even made me appreciate DE more.  This is the new age of deftones and I'm really enjoying it so far.  They always push the boundaries and never make the same record twice.  Rosemary and What Happened to You will be songs I will enjoy for the rest of my life. 

Yup, me too...I didn't listen to DE constantly like I do with KNY, but now I feel like I can go back to it and enjoy it. I keep finding some new layer, sound, vocal work, bass line, drum roll in KNY. I love it.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

DJR

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jan 11, 2013, 04:30 AM
I like pretty much every song they've ever made, except anything of DE and KNY. How is that a problem?

Out of curiosity what did you want DE and KNY to sound like? And don't reply something like "Not so shitty"....i'm not trying be arsey, genuinely interested here. Now i like DE but id rank it bottom but KNY is magical and would put it 3rd. I have to remind myself we're not in the 90s and early 2000s anymore and they're getting old men now.

lahemi

Interludes! I'd love me some interludes.

Electron§

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jan 11, 2013, 04:30 AM
This.

Quote from: lahemi on Mar 07, 2013, 10:20 PM
Interludes! I'd love me some interludes.
and this

TheShade1989

As long as they dont start making dance music, it's pretty much a given that I'll enjoy their albums. DE is on the bottom of my list, I hardly listen to it anymore, but still like it. Just that it doesnt have that thing where you can listen to it endlessly for days and not get bored of it. I think they wont go back to making another WP or ST or anything even along those lines; as far as we know, they're not all getting super fucked up and going through personal problems, they've gotten a different way of making music that they find works for them, a happier outlook on things, and that's changed the way their music sounds. No more raw aggression and angst and heaviness, no more young-Chino screaming, no more pure dark-sounding, tragic-sounding sad music, even Chino's lyrics, etc. Which is a shame if you love all of that, but ppl change, and their changes seem to be pretty big. So I'll miss it, I'll always prefer those aspects, but I can also appreciate and love their newer music. They seem to be happy with the music they're making now, all of their aspects individually and as a whole band, so some ppl may dislike it, hate it, get sick of the band for it, but that's all you can ask of them. Making music they dont wanna make or are bored of to please some (but not all) fans would just cause more problems, so better they make whatever music they wanna make and let the fans' opinions be what they are.