Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Writing Lyrics

Started by DeftonesNZ, Dec 20, 2012, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

Who here writes lyrics? I find it interesting to see how others get inspiration or how they craft out their lyrics, Personally I usually just get the urge to write sometimes, usually at night and i'll randomly just write some stuff out,it could be like a whole page or just a little line,I don't even know if they're lyrics or just ramblings but I've got like 25 pages now lol and I don't even think I'll ever use them. Does anybody else do this? I also tend to have recurring themes like I use women quite alot even though it's not about a actual girl I find myself using them to represent stuff alot.

Here's just a random line that was inspired but the site's name
"Your breathe still lingers in this room, for days ill breath off you ,We'll share lungs until we're one."

fireflyry

I'm not a singer, although I've been told by friends I have a good voice, song-writing has always been a pipe dream.

In saying I've written since I was maybe 7-8 years old.Mostly short stories and the like but in my teens I got introduced to poetry by my english teacher, really cool cat and the only teacher I got on with in high-school.Anyway I've been writing poetry ever since, more so as a means of personal expression and recollection.It's not something I share often with others or wear on my sleeve but I often think of song lyrics as something with the intent of trying to communicate with others how the writer feels, as opposed to poets who don't care either way.I used to, back in my fire-performance days, write a poem to summarize the night and what had happened.I'd read to those gathered at the end of the night and then burn it.I always thought it was symbolic to have that one-off lyric, only to burn it and leave it for that group on that night alone.

Did I mention LSD was popular then?Anyways....

There is obviously a mish-mash between both genres of writing.At the end of the day if people are creating lyric in any format, even for merely personal gratification, I can't state how awesome I think that is.

As such I'll share a poem I wrote when I was maybe 15-16.Maybe when I get signed by Maverick, then learn to sing, I'll turn it into a song :P

Sooner than you think,
longer than you imagined.
I will fly from here,
this town of wet cement and blurry faces.
To sadden, to gladden, a heart unknown.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

DeftonesNZ

Thanks for sharing I had an English teacher like that aswell he really believed in me I was always good at English but he saw something special in me and sort of nurtured it.I honestly don't know if I'm writing lyrics or what there's no real structure I just feel like I need to write sometimes and I usually write when I'm really tired so sometimes I don't even remember writing them lol,but it's like I can see common elements in some of the pieces like there's a hidden song in there somewhere maybe one day I'll actually make something out of them.

fireflyry

To me that's all good writing is.A form of pure self-expression.Our motivations, muses and structure may differ but at the end of it all it's amazing what can be transcribed when personally emotional content and expression moves from ones head to a canvas.Be it lyric, poem, painting or otherwise.

It's usually pretty cool shit, if only for the writer/artist alone.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.