Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Swerve City - Video

Started by stu_101, Feb 18, 2013, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gee

Quote from: skinnypuppy on May 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
Each passing year, this board resembles lambgoat comments more and more.

#sharinglungsproblems

All things considered, I wish they'd exclusively work with directors who really, really, really get the band. Andrew Bennett gets the band, Purge gets the band, Liz Friedlander gets the band, and I'd dare to say ZFCL also does too. Stick with them motherfuckers and get good music videos!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deftones_discography#Music_videos

James Minchin III directed Bloody Cape ? Well fuck me. Completely droped it on that one. Especially knowing that the guy takes great pictures.

And for the record, even if I like Andrew Bennet's work, I think Digital Bath' video is overrated. In the same genre I prefer Beauty School.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

ShadowScars

Back when they filmed this, didn't the director post some pictures from the set on his blog or am I thinking of something else? I seem to remember they had fans around a stage and not a girl on a horse.

sing blue silver

Quote from: ShadowScars on May 16, 2013, 01:11 PM
Back when they filmed this, didn't the director post some pictures from the set on his blog or am I thinking of something else? I seem to remember they had fans around a stage and not a girl on a horse.

They made 2 videos and chose to release this one. Judging from how excited that director in the UK was to work with them, I'd much rather see his video.

DeftonesNZ

I don't think it was a pick one thing from the sounds of what the guys were saying they're going to release both makes sense giving they've already paid to make it unless that UK one is really bad of course.

Electron§

Quote from: people are people on May 14, 2013, 05:52 PM

if you like deftones try understand the video or just don't watch the videos and interpret in your way.

tell me what you think of the lyrics of the song Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Even-Deftones or Hexagram or Passenger with  Maynard James Keenan

If I like Deftones I can choose which elements to enjoy and which to put down. That's up to me as the fan, just as it is the right of everyone. You don't need to try to make me look stupid for not being a damn cheerleader for everything this band does (Although I will proudly represent pretty much everything up until Diamond Eyes). Especially when they've already lost a lot of credibility with me personally.

And Its not about what the lyrics literally mean, its more the atmosphere of the songs as well as what the lyrics LITERALLY say, instead of what they actually MEAN (And I never said EVERY Deftones song felt sci-fi, even on the surface). For example, a song like "Change". I don't see how what Chinos describing is exactly a normal set of events which could be explained without some sci fi idea or supernatural thing going on. A good majority of the songs use metaphors like this or just give off that vibe with the use of synths and outros. (I.e. "Lovers", "RX Queen", "Feiticeira", "Needles And Pins", "Pink Maggit", "When Girls Telephone Boys", "Xerces", "Riviere")

I'm not saying ALL of the songs are science fiction oriented in the sense of some stupid shit like Star Trek lol, I'm saying they have this air of mystery to them. Like somethings really NOT right, and also the effects and presets they use on the guitars and that Frank uses often times give the music more of that feel. If the Deftones songs were a story, most of these songs are that part where the shit hits the fan and what you thought was a realistic idea becomes something beyond that...... Something feels futuristic and yet harsh in a lot of the songs. They've even said when their writing they have horror movies or old school sci fi films on in the studio, and also they've used plenty of drugs in their time, when your tripping out its not exactly "realistic" lol.

And although this isn't necessarily related to *science* (though the realms of fantasy and sci fi are pretty thinly separated), its known that Deftones do have an undercurrent of occult themes in their music. (I.e. "Hexagram" as you mentioned). I almost have always imagined at S/T as the more supernatural type album, and Saturday Night Wrist as the more "space rock" type album.

people are people

Quote from: Electron§ on May 16, 2013, 10:52 PM
Quote from: people are people on May 14, 2013, 05:52 PM

if you like deftones try understand the video or just don't watch the videos and interpret in your way.

tell me what you think of the lyrics of the song Anniversary Of An Uninteresting Even-Deftones or Hexagram or Passenger with  Maynard James Keenan

If I like Deftones I can choose which elements to enjoy and which to put down. That's up to me as the fan, just as it is the right of everyone. You don't need to try to make me look stupid for not being a damn cheerleader for everything this band does (Although I will proudly represent pretty much everything up until Diamond Eyes). Especially when they've already lost a lot of credibility with me personally.

And Its not about what the lyrics literally mean, its more the atmosphere of the songs as well as what the lyrics LITERALLY say, instead of what they actually MEAN (And I never said EVERY Deftones song felt sci-fi, even on the surface). For example, a song like "Change". I don't see how what Chinos describing is exactly a normal set of events which could be explained without some sci fi idea or supernatural thing going on. A good majority of the songs use metaphors like this or just give off that vibe with the use of synths and outros. (I.e. "Lovers", "RX Queen", "Feiticeira", "Needles And Pins", "Pink Maggit", "When Girls Telephone Boys", "Xerces", "Riviere")

I'm not saying ALL of the songs are science fiction oriented in the sense of some stupid shit like Star Trek lol, I'm saying they have this air of mystery to them. Like somethings really NOT right, and also the effects and presets they use on the guitars and that Frank uses often times give the music more of that feel. If the Deftones songs were a story, most of these songs are that part where the shit hits the fan and what you thought was a realistic idea becomes something beyond that...... Something feels futuristic and yet harsh in a lot of the songs. They've even said when their writing they have horror movies or old school sci fi films on in the studio, and also they've used plenty of drugs in their time, when your tripping out its not exactly "realistic" lol.

And although this isn't necessarily related to *science* (though the realms of fantasy and sci fi are pretty thinly separated), its known that Deftones do have an undercurrent of occult themes in their music. (I.e. "Hexagram" as you mentioned). I almost have always imagined at S/T as the more supernatural type album, and Saturday Night Wrist as the more "space rock" type album.

you are cool, really nice answer bro, you know when i read your "hatred comment" with the name electron talking about science bitching about the western vibe lol
this answer change everything and i agree with you but you know, deftones try always new things and they chose this for some reason...

Electron§

Quote from: people are people on May 17, 2013, 12:18 AM

you are cool, really nice answer bro, you know when i read your "hatred comment" with the name electron talking about science bitching about the western vibe lol
this answer change everything and i agree with you but you know, deftones try always new things and they chose this for some reason...

Well... The reason they changed is because of whats happened with Chi. Plus a new producer, etc.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Electron§ on May 17, 2013, 02:26 AM

Well... The reason they changed is because of whats happened with Chi. Plus a new producer, etc.

I love the pictures people have around here, is there a website you find these at? there perfect.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DeftonesNZ

Yeah people seem to put it all of Nick but Chino has said tone of the music changed because of Chi's accident, he said it made them all stop taking alot of things for granted and that it just seemed ridiculous to complain about stuff anymore when they compared their quality of life to Chi's.

people are people

i mean deftones try always new things and they chose this kind of artsy western video for some reason...we have to respect that.

IN WAVES

The video was f*cking lame. Just being honest. I really like the song, but that video is almost unwatchable. I hope they didn't spend too much money on it. How much can a girl and a horse cost for a video? LOL :D

DeftonesNZ

I think I'm more annoyed that these guys never seem to get good videos, despite a few exceptions the videos never do the songs justice which sucks I would love for someone with a completely approach come in and do something like an all animated video, Something unique that compliments the unique music, if they had a video with amazing and creative imagery people would actually share it with their friends and that means the music also gets exposed to a new audience.

people are people

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 17, 2013, 10:42 AM
I think I'm more annoyed that these guys never seem to get good videos, despite a few exceptions the videos never do the songs justice which sucks I would love for someone with a completely approach come in and do something like an all animated video, Something unique that compliments the unique music, if they had a video with amazing and creative imagery people would actually share it with their friends and that means the music also gets exposed to a new audience.

Exactly they should try Adam Jones and Alex Grey to create a video like one of Tool.

SwerveCityUSA

who cares about producers, really? It's like being into a pro sports team, who cares about the coach? It's not like your one of the players, I don't even particularly care about the players as long as they can be successful. Sadly ITunes doesn't give a Digital Booklet for DE and KNY so I don't know who the producer was or anything. But I was listening to them talk about him, and if I had a producer he's who I would want. Just have your band go in a room, Jam out it while he records and tells you whats good and what to emphasize and get rid of, and then produce it until it passes the crisper test.

Coaches and Producers that are successful today had to start somewhere, this guy could be a hero someday, because he already produced my 2 favorite records. he's already A-1 approved.

jciraheta

first sorry for my english ,   ;)

now i have this theory , i am the only one that thinks that dftones doenst like to make good videos, beacuse the dont want to became to mainstream ? , 

seems like they always come with shitty videos for good song,

i think that they made that on purpose ,

does anyone else think that ?

people are people

Quote from: jciraheta on May 17, 2013, 05:57 PM
first sorry for my english ,   ;)

now i have this theory , i am the only one that thinks that dftones doenst like to make good videos, beacuse the dont want to became to mainstream ? , 

seems like they always come with shitty videos for good song,

i think that they made that on purpose ,

does anyone else think that ?

Not really, when i was young deftones played on MTV everyday, I love the video deftones-be quiet and drive,the video is perfect in my view,
In that time the "proclaimed heavy metal superstars" said a lot of shit about the nu metal scene
So that bullshit of "not mainstream" its from fan boys over here of Deftones that think that deftones is beatles or led zeppelin ,whatever in my opinion
Tool have the best music videos ever and they are a true band that never played the media game.

Romain

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
who cares about producers, really? It's like being into a pro sports team, who cares about the coach? It's not like your one of the players, I don't even particularly care about the players as long as they can be successful.

Just, no.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Romain on May 17, 2013, 07:29 PM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 17, 2013, 04:40 PM
who cares about producers, really? It's like being into a pro sports team, who cares about the coach? It's not like your one of the players, I don't even particularly care about the players as long as they can be successful.

Just, no.

Furthermore, I want the band to do what they want to do, if I was in a successful band I would want to go any direction that I could imagine. Just have fun, it's not like I would even want them to make some retarded concept album with Bob Ezrin. Deftones is a ghetto band, making ghetto music, in the spirit of black, soul, reggae, punk and real rock n roll. take em or leave em.

only pieces remain

wtf are you on about? ghetto music?

you must be smoking some good shit.

DeftonesNZ

Regarding the not wanting to become mainstream thing from earlier I doubt it although they have never gone out of their way to become more mainstream at the same time they haven't shied away from mainstream success either. Also the producer has a huge affect on an album this would be come evident pretty fast if they used a really useless guy.