Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

FILTER

Started by DJR, Feb 26, 2013, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJR

So im not sure how many Filter fans are on here? But they have been right at the top of my list for about 15 years now. New album due out in May and new single out next month. The last album was low by their standards, but this one is supposed to sound like Title of Record and The Amalagmut again :)

Anybody excited as i am? :D

IF they get back to sounding like this..then awesome!

Filter - American Cliche (official video) HQ

black coffee

The first three albums are all-time favorites of mine, while I never got into the stuff they released after The Amalgamut... probably gonna give it another try though. What are your favorite songs from Anthems and The Troubles...?

nineteen

I like all of their stuff but love The Amalgamut and Title Of Record. Didn't know about a new album, cool.

DJR

Quote from: black coffee on Feb 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
The first three albums are all-time favorites of mine, while I never got into the stuff they released after The Amalgamut... probably gonna give it another try though. What are your favorite songs from Anthems and The Troubles...?

I pretty much like all of Anthems, he includes listening to White Pony in the lyrics to "Kill The Day" which i always found cool :P I like that record, but obviously all the sound changed because it was a new lineup of people. And as for The Trouble With Angles, "Drug Boy" is an amazing song, followed by "Absantee Father", and "Fades Like A photograph" is like an ok attempt at another "Take a Picture" but the rest of the songs are just average. I really want to like that record a lot, the songs nearly go where i want, then some kinda lazy chorus kicks in and im like "noooooooo"

DJR

Quote from: nineteen on Feb 26, 2013, 05:36 PM
I like all of their stuff but love The Amalgamut and Title Of Record. Didn't know about a new album, cool.

mothraw

title of record dude!

DJR

New York -- Wind-up Records has announced the signing of rock act Filter. The band is currently readying a new album in Los Angeles at BLUE ROOM studio’s with producer Bob Marlette. Formed in 1993, Filter has enjoyed significant success over the past two decades, This will be the band's sixth studio album, and follows the 2010 offering The Trouble with Angels. The bands decorated history also includes such platinum and gold recordings as Short Bus (1995), Title of Record (1999), The Amalgamut (2002), and Anthems for the Damned (2008).

The album is being written and recorded by leader Richard Patrick and guitarist Jonny Radtke, as well as collaborator Marlette. There will also be performances from touring members Jeff Friedl and Elias Mallin (drums) and Phil Buckman (bass). The lead single will impact radio in March with the album following in May, 2013.

Wind-up Records President Ed Vetri shares, "We're thrilled to welcome Richard Patrick and Filter into the Wind-up family. This is a successful band with an extremely impressive body of work and I'm happy to say that based on the demos I've heard, this new album could very well be their best to date. Filter is more committed than ever to delivering great repertoire and bringing these songs to life at their live shows throughout 2013.” Filter singer Richard Patrick adds, "We're excited to enter a new phase of our career with Wind-up. They're expecting great things from us and we plan to deliver."

Also a lot of videos on the facebook page of studio work, few vocals and new riffs being recorded etc.

DJR

only pieces remain

FlyingPiranha

The new songs aren't really doing a lot for me. I liked The Trouble With Angels but got bored with it really quickly, and so far this album sounds pretty similar to that one. Anyone else feel the same or is it just me?
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

only pieces remain

I loved the TTWA so it sounds good to me. Only album I didn't like aside from a track or two was anthems.

DJR

I think TTWA was actually the weakest record...Anthems really did it for me. But having said that TTWA has to be great just for Drug Boy alone!! Im really excited for this new record to come out! :)

bewareofrats

Anything after The Amalgamut = Bleh.

Probably the best thing they've done over the last few albums, and it's a b-side or something from TTWA.  It sort of reminds me of TOR and the more ambient songs on Amalgamut.

Filter - Plume (full version)
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

black coffee

Quote from: bewareofrats on Apr 23, 2013, 08:37 PM
Anything after The Amalgamut = Bleh.

100% with you!

DJR recommended some songs to me from Filters last two albums, and I really tried to like them but both albums didn't click. Not back when they were released, and unfortunately not now either.

While listening to the songs I remembered some flashbacks back from 2008, when Anthems came out and I was looking forward to it for so long due to the hiatus of the band.
So when I first got the chance to listen to it, it was such a big disappointment.

The Amalgamut was one of my top 10, maybe even top 5 albums of the last decade and I couldn't imagine them releasing something not nearly as good.
The Trouble With Angels a few years later didn't do much for me either. Honestly I couldn't even say which of the two albums I'd prefer.

FlyingPiranha

For me, I think TTWA edges out AFTD, just because it sounds more like the old-school, heavier Filter.

Either way though, I'm pretty pumped to see them in June. I loved these guys so much in high school and it's going to be pretty interesting to finally see them.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

DJR

Quote from: FlyingPiranha on Apr 25, 2013, 04:22 AM
For me, I think TTWA edges out AFTD, just because it sounds more like the old-school, heavier Filter.

Either way though, I'm pretty pumped to see them in June. I loved these guys so much in high school and it's going to be pretty interesting to finally see them.

I'm pretty jealous of you seeing them! Ive seen them twice but i was quite drunk and just danced a lot. Want to see them properly like

Filter will never sound the same post Amalgamut...Filter is essentially a NIN where the frontman is the MAN and just hires people to play with him, but Short Bus, Title and Amalgamut had the same lineup, hence i think the influence from them determined that they are the 3 best albums.

DJR

Filter - So I Quit [with Lyrics]

always liked the cough at the beginning

DJR

Pains me to say it, but i think im even more disappointed than TTWA...i think i like about 4 songs after first listen

EDIT: Make that 6 now, its getting better as i listen more...its defo not a record that hits you first time!

only pieces remain

the last two tracks are a weird and weak way to end it i think. and surprise sucks. other than that, i like it.