Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Still trying to find my sound

Started by chinomoreno876, Mar 23, 2013, 05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinomoreno876

Funthemental

By no means finished, I'm still working on having to master everything, I still am figuring out what kind of music I'm making, so far it's a bit haunting and uplifting, I don't know, it's getting there, so far I have radio head meets something meets something....

chinomoreno876

I know it still needs alot of work but im really putting some effort in, i started you tubing vocal practices and techniques to get my vocals on point and really working on playing my guitar, its a bit overwhelming being a solo project and having to learn how to properly record my acoustic guitar, lay the bass line over that, lay down the drums, and then as well the vocals but i know eventually i can get the sound i want and get these songs outta my head!!

chinomoreno876

Any feedback from you guys, being deftones is my fav band, like I said its nowhere near complete but you can def hear where I'm trying to go with it..... Would love to hear from u guys!!

chinomoreno876

98 views but no replies, I was hoping for some constructive criticism , tips, tell me its good? It's sucks , soooomething??

black coffee

This is not the first 1-man project I have heard in my life where the person behind it appears to think he has all these great ideas in his head and wants to get them out to the world, and in the end its not nearly as good as advertised for!

Sorry to be so frank with you, but after all you're putting something on the internet, which sounds half-finished at best.

There is definitely a lot of potential - the way you play the guitar reminded me of the Brushstrokes from dredg, also atmospheric wise, and I can hear you have skill as a musician, but to me music is not just about skill.

You probably described it best yourself - you're trying to find your sound, and as a listener I can hear that uncertainty. And to me thats not a plus factor.

chinomoreno876

Hey thanks for the reply and view point, i really appreciate it!!  and i think its more inexperience than it is uncertainty, i know what i want to hear im just unsure on how to construct it, it comes on slow and in bits and pieces and half the time im like ok yeah that needs to go in there how do i fit that in?!?!? For instance i started something new last night and it started with the acoustic just  a plucking of 5 notes that walked well together and then a melody over top that i could hear saying "She paints the walls, RED " it sounds like a nice start to it but your right i shouldnt be posting barely half done songs, i just get so excited and what a finished product right away and sometimes lack paitence, ive been wanting to do this for so long that i tend to get ahead of myself!!  I also started attempting to cover a song using garage band and just using guitar bass and drum tabs to re create the sounds and then put down vocals, im all bout originial music but i think a few covers with help me with structuring my own stuff so just for practice.... i just gotta pick a song to cover.....

chinomoreno876

getting better i think :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpAZEGFMDOo

You guys gotta hear the potenial no?!?!?!

An bád dubh

Hey man

As it seems that you appreciate any and all comments I will just write what pops to my head while I listen through your stuff:

So, I listened to Funthemental and Faith is Wired. Listening to One More Shot and Standing through the ground as I'm writing this.

You have musical talent and an ear for getting the listener interested. A great example is One More Shot and the part that starts at 1.20. It comes out of nowhere and pleases my ear, fits well with the start of the song too. There was another cool part on Funthemental starting at 3.15 with that one more layer of guitars.

Overall I like your guitar sound and style. They are very similar to what I've been recording through the last 6 years or so. What comes to recording on your own, your stuff is not half done when it comes to quality but it is half done when it comes to the actual songs. They maybe lack some structure. Some artists though do that on purpose, but it seems that you somehow still want to have structure in your songs. I too have for example an approx 15 minute piano  recording which has no structure whatsoever, but I can use parts of it in other songs if I need to. So that type of unfinished and unstructured songs can be useful and with small tweaks might even become actual finished songs.

Your vocals are fitting if you want to keep them in the background and are hoping to catch the listener with the guitar melodies. The vocals themselves are not enough, at least for me personally, if you are hoping to bring something extra with them to the listener (as in convey a message through the lyrics or just by cool vocal melodies). I dont know, maybe you should find a female singer to match your music?

Faith is Wired was a nice song overall and Standing through the ground sounds similar to it. In fact, all the songs have a lot of similarities and sound quite a lot alike. I for one am not sure when listening to Standing to the ground if I already heard parts of this song in your other songs. The vocals differentiate this one from the others though, and I like the vocals in this one. They fit of this song, though the vocals overall in your songs dont do it for me. But definitely this song itself sounds like a combination of your other songs. The ending was the same as on Funthemental I guess.

I don't know, what you could try is to combine the best elements of your songs. You could also try to structure the songs more. Even to create a catchy chorus so that people can actually appreciate your music. Im not saying that you should start making catchy easy-to-listen-to hits but that's how you could get started faster. I for one found my style like that so to say. Or thats how I was able to stop just recordning songs after songs after songs. I'm still to record decent versions of my best songs but I have that one song which I find fun to sing and can start to build an album around it if I ever wish to do so. I have around 300 recordings which I have saved, of which maybe 10 pretty ok songs, and that one really good one. And on that song by the way my wife sings and plays the piano. So she transcribed my guitar to piano and sang the song on tape.

So to conclude, though I would have to hear you sing more (maybe that cover song which you talked about), I could suggest that you might want to think about collaborating with a singer, a female singer maybe. I'd say that it could be a great contrast to your music. And make that one complete song which has some meat on it, some catchiness, something that people can comment on a bit more. Thats how you could find your style and the type of music you want to make. Maybe.

That's about it, sorry if I just rambled on but those were my thoughts.

chinomoreno876

That's awesome response I forgot I posted this here and never saw it, better late then never thanks for all the feedback...here's something new just freestyling. ..  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzM96KhCnGo

chinomoreno876

Anybody listen, what do u think, I'm just having fun with it!!!