Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

best album of all time ten year anniversary

Started by Penicks, Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyDanza555

Opinions, opinions.. for me there are at least 2 albums better than S/t. I remember I was really pissed off after getting the copy and  a few spins. I have to admit it was a grower but also such an anticlimax to White Pony and Around The Fur...

defTHE1s

I think Around the Fur and Deftones shares the 1st place on my pedestal.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

the deft ones

Opinions are like clitorises - every cunt has one. (Sorry ladies)

That said, White Pony is their best album. Hands down. The end.

IN WAVES

My personal favorite. :)
It's been my favorite album since 2006, when I was deployed in Iraq. I listened to it almost every day. Such a great sound. Not "the same sound" as anything else.

Rest in peace, Chi. Thank you for creating some of my favorite songs.

IN WAVES  - Hector Rojas, Reno, NV

usefulidiot

This thread makes me fell old....mostly cause I felt old when ST came out...and now, outta nowhere, its 10 years later.

Fuck.

On a side note, despite the magnificence of some of the tracks on ST, as far as whole albums go, the first 3 will always be tops IMO. Formative years and all.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
yeah i'm not even racist i only hate black people

besides that quote, you actually made a worthy thread, and it's not an opinion that it is not they're best but yes it could be anyone's favorite, it was for me at one time. The True best Deftones records are easily chapter 1 and 2. AKA Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

May 20th 2003 was what day in American history?

Who appeared at No.2 on the Billboard pop charts?
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

RoyBiggins

Self titled is responsible for Big Roy's favorite Deftones song of all time....Needles and Pins. I wish it didn't fade out at the end because those screams are unreal

rainnyx4

Easily their weakest album.  Anniversary is one of their best songs but overall, this album was a big letdown.

SwerveCityUSA

I love anniversary as well. Easily one of the best choice of albums to make, a perfect self titled, representation of. Truly ignore the fashion and not going by the book. they could've easily cashed in on white pony and done what I would think most people here would want them to do and actually make a bad record, one that may have sold though. Instead they made this classic and it entered the billboard charts at no.2 beating white pony's no.3 entrance.

Gee

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Easily their weakest album.  Anniversary is one of their best songs but overall, this album was a big letdown.

ha ha trolling much ?

This album is a masterpiece. Can't believe it's gonna be 10 years in 2 days. I remember eagerly waiting for its release, it was just a year after I got into Deftones, a year after I discovered WP. I was 14 years old and was so excited to get into music that was just different and ambitious.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

rainnyx4

Quote from: Gee on May 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

ha ha trolling much ?

This album is a masterpiece. Can't believe it's gonna be 10 years in 2 days. I remember eagerly waiting for its release, it was just a year after I got into Deftones, a year after I discovered WP. I was 14 years old and was so excited to get into music that was just different and ambitious.

Not at all.  I remember buying this album the morning it came out and being super pumped.  Popped it in the cd player in the car and when it was finished I was like "That's it?".  Soooo disappointing.

Gee

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 18, 2013, 01:07 PM
Quote from: Gee on May 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

ha ha trolling much ?

Not at all.  I remember buying this album the morning it came out and being super pumped.  Popped it in the cd player in the car and when it was finished I was like "That's it?".  Soooo disappointing.

It may not be the right thread for you then.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

Zantera

Great album, though I feel like something is missing. Can't quite put my finger on it. Apart from Adrenaline (which I need to check out), the self-titled would probably be my least favorite out of all the other albums, but still a great album. Some really awesome songs on it. Any love for Battle-axe? That song slays so hard. I love the intro and when the slow mainriff kicks in, it feels like a slower riff than most other Deftones-songs, but that is also what makes the song so awesome.

SwerveCityUSA

truthaddict

I still remember buying this from a small record store the first day it was released, then listening to the whole thing for the first time on a long car drive.  I definitely felt let down a little after White Pony... But this album really aged well.  I've really come to love it over time.

SwerveCityUSA

Yes, every album for me takes time to like. especially these last two, in fact it was just a couple of week ago that they blew my mind, I knew they were great but I quit heavy music a few years ago. I always loved this band because they were my youth. it's all about the melody for me. hardly any other heavy band can do it, and they don't do it with soul/R&B when they do, like these guys.

Penicks

can you please stop mentioning diamiond ass and koi no suckan in my thread

thanks

black coffee

^ you know what that means

REdday??? FUIGHT !!!

DeftonesNZ

Haha am I that only one who thought of the bad guy from Sonic when they saw that?

Also S/T is great it really shows the range of the band they show they can be experimental with electronic stuff like Lucky You, the aggression is shown alot through songs like WGTB and then they show they can do the epic slow song with Anniversary.Probably my top album along with White Pony although Adrenaline ,ATF and SNW are extremely close second they're practically interchangeable on any given day.