Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

best album of all time ten year anniversary

Started by Penicks, Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sushi-X

This was the album that got me into this band. Had not heard anything like this at that time. mostly cuz I didn't have a pc and just had the radio. so when Minerva started playing, it hit me. It was this sound, this amazing sound I had been searching for. And since buying this Cd ten years ago, it's just been an amazing trip listening to them, seeing them, and meeting others who love this band.

Rocket Skates '94

nicklav

Nearly ten years ago today my buddy and I picked up this album at the store, and jammed it all day during school. My girlfriend at the time hated it - our relationship ended a few months later. That same night my friend and I drove up to Sacramento to see them play at the Crest Theater. It was the first time I saw Deftones live and it blew me away. We got backstage both before and after the show, and I shook Chino and Abe's hands and said what's up to Chi. I was 17 at the time and it was like meeting superheroes.

I'll never forget that, and I'll never ever forget this album.

Gee

Quote from: nicklav on May 20, 2013, 09:23 PM
Nearly ten years ago today my buddy and I picked up this album at the store, and jammed it all day during school. My girlfriend at the time hated it - our relationship ended a few months later. That same night my friend and I drove up to Sacramento to see them play at the Crest Theater. It was the first time I saw Deftones live and it blew me away. We got backstage both before and after the show, and I shook Chino and Abe's hands and said what's up to Chi. I was 17 at the time and it was like meeting superheroes.

I'll never forget that, and I'll never ever forget this album.

They are superheroes, everybody knows that.  ;)
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Penicks on May 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
can you please stop mentioning diamiond ass and koi no suckan in my thread

thanks

what a fag man. this isn't even your thread pensive. it is the boards.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 20, 2013, 10:54 PM

thanks

Can we get a mod to ban this guy? There's absolutely no need for his trolling nor his homophobic slurs. Thank you.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: nicklav on May 20, 2013, 11:06 PM

thanks

Can we get a mod to ban this guy? There's absolutely no need for his trolling nor his homophobic slurs. Thank you.

I thought that was the language of this board, everyone's middle name is fag, or so I thought from what I've seen, just enjoy the music and quit bitchin. always looking for a fight.

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 20, 2013, 11:08 PM

thanks

I thought that was the language of this board, everyone's middle name is fag, or so I thought from what I've seen, just enjoy the music and quit bitchin. always looking for a fight.

I'm not looking for the fight. You are clearly in violation of the rules:

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,13827.0.html

QuoteFlaming/Trolling:

Flaming (To engage in an online argument usually involving unfounded and off-topic personal attacks by one or more members directed at another member or group with little relevance to the original thread topic or intent) and Trolling (The act of purposefully antagonizing other members into arguments or posting threads or comments with malicious intent.) are forbidden on Sharing Lungs.

QuoteThread Derailment/Off-topic posting.

While through the natural course of conversation threads may steer away from the originally created topic or intended theme deliberate sabotage or steering of a thread away from it's originally and clearly stated topic or purpose is forbidden.

Please create a new thread or post in a new section to avoid this problem.

If you have suggestions for what you think is a needed or missing section please PM a mod and we will run the idea past Nuno and other members.

You constantly antagonize people, and in this thread you bring up albums other than S/T, which is not the point of the thread.

I thoroughly enjoy the music, especially this album, and this is where I come to discuss it. I don't come to here to listen to how you've found the second coming in DE and KNY. Stick to those threads so the rest of us don't have to hear it.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: nicklav on May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 20, 2013, 11:08 PM

thanks

I'm not looking for the fight. You are clearly in violation of the rules:

http://www.sharinglungs.com/index.php/topic,13827.0.html

QuoteFlaming/Trolling:

Flaming (To engage in an online argument usually involving unfounded and off-topic personal attacks by one or more members directed at another member or group with little relevance to the original thread topic or intent) and Trolling (The act of purposefully antagonizing other members into arguments or posting threads or comments with malicious intent.) are forbidden on Sharing Lungs.

QuoteThread Derailment/Off-topic posting.

While through the natural course of conversation threads may steer away from the originally created topic or intended theme deliberate sabotage or steering of a thread away from it's originally and clearly stated topic or purpose is forbidden.

Please create a new thread or post in a new section to avoid this problem.

If you have suggestions for what you think is a needed or missing section please PM a mod and we will run the idea past Nuno and other members.

You constantly antagonize people, and in this thread you bring up albums other than S/T, which is not the point of the thread.

I thoroughly enjoy the music, especially this album, and this is where I come to discuss it. I don't come to here to listen to how you've found the second coming in DE and KNY. Stick to those threads so the rest of us don't have to hear it.

Dude I know you enjoy this attention and you feel like a hero, but you're wrong. go back and read all my posts, I didn't bring up other albums in this thread and blah blah blah. Every post I make besides ones where I get flamed for my outright love of this band is all about this band, you guys are the ones that get off topic trying to fight me for being positive. if you want to call me a fanboy then go ahead, but back off my posts and mind your own business, cause I;m not doing wrong and I'm tired of wasting posts on you assholes flaming and trolling this board.

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 08, 2013, 02:51 AM
Quote from: Penicks on Apr 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
yeah i'm not even racist i only hate black people

besides that quote, you actually made a worthy thread, and it's not an opinion that it is not they're best but yes it could be anyone's favorite, it was for me at one time. The True best Deftones records are easily chapter 1 and 2. AKA Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

May 20th 2003 was what day in American history?

Who appeared at No.2 on the Billboard pop charts?

Oh.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: nicklav on May 20, 2013, 11:36 PM

besides that quote, you actually made a worthy thread, and it's not an opinion that it is not they're best but yes it could be anyone's favorite, it was for me at one time. The True best Deftones records are easily chapter 1 and 2. AKA Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan.

Oh.

ex squeeze me, baking powder? Ya good post, may 20th 2003 Deftones appeared at no.2 on the billboard charts, making a spot higher white pony's no.3. excellent.

nicklav

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 20, 2013, 11:39 PM
Quote from: nicklav on May 20, 2013, 11:36 PM

Oh.

ex squeeze me, baking powder? Ya good post, may 20th 2003 Deftones appeared at no.2 on the billboard charts, making a spot higher white pony's no.3. excellent.

The bolded doesn't need to be said, and it antagonizes people. That's all.

deftones47

Quote from: RoyBiggins on May 17, 2013, 08:50 PM
Self titled is responsible for Big Roy's favorite Deftones song of all time....Needles and Pins. I wish it didn't fade out at the end because those screams are unreal

I wish Needles and Pins and WGTB both didn't fade out at the end.

Gee

Quote from: deftones47 on May 21, 2013, 02:42 AM
Self titled is responsible for Big Roy's favorite Deftones song of all time....Needles and Pins. I wish it didn't fade out at the end because those screams are unreal

I kind of like that actually. The anger goes on and on...
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

pony_01

Electron§

Ten years later and this album hasn't aged a day for me. Still fucking amazing and unlike pretty much anything else....  I just really wish there was some damn demos from it though......

White Wrist

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: deftones47 on May 21, 2013, 02:42 AM

the fadeouts are the coolest part

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Electron§ on Jun 04, 2013, 10:18 AM
Ten years later and this album hasn't aged a day for me. Still fucking amazing and unlike pretty much anything else....  I just really wish there was some damn demos from it though......

I agree...I love White Pony and all, but it it feels so 2000 for me. Like...you can tell that is when they decided to switch things up (and they sure did). Not saying thats a bad thing, but it FEELS like an experimental album. With S/T, I feel like it defines THE deftones sound from the past and what they will do after that.

The aggression [Hexagram, WGTB, BLoody Cape] the dissonant sound of Stef's guitar is just amplified, the dreaminess of White Pony (Minerva, Battle/Axe, Deathblow] and experimental [Anniversary, Lucky You]...

Like others have stated, they could've gone with the success of White Pony and done even more experimentation, but they held some of those ideas back and to me, it served them well. Its a complete album to me. I love this album for certain moments that just feel raw [Chino's breathing before he starts singing on N&P, his screaming in Hexagram, Stef's ending riff during Bloody Cape makes me want to punch someone repeatedly, etc etc]

I love this album.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

DeftonesNZ

That's interesting you see White Pony as so 2000 I wonder if it's like a memory association thing because I first heard WP after ST and SNW and I thought WP was the newest, I was pretty shocked when I found out that WP was the successor of ATF the change in sound is massive they sound like a new band. Self Titled and White Pony are tied for my favourite album they're are both timeless I think that's because they didn't even fit in to what was happening musically when they were released so there's not the whole sound of the time association.

SwerveCityUSA

white pony is the absolute sound of the new turn of the millennium, it has the year 2000 written all over it. it's so perfect for being futuristic and star wars. I still like Self titled more, it's absolutely better. I bought a couple copies of white pony the day it came out and they were already my favorite band but that made me tell everyone. self titled means everything though, it's the perfect defining album of any band.