Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Abe Cunningham drumkit: Estimated price

Started by Teknoman, Apr 19, 2013, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teknoman

Out of curiosity I investigated the price of the gear Abe uses, i checked out ebay and amazon for prices and this is the result

Drums
Tama Starclassic Bubinga Drumkit = 3500
14x6.5" Tama Starphonic Brass Snare = 600

Cymbals – Zildjian
15" A Custom Mastersound Hi-Hats = 400
22" A Custom Ride = 350
20" A Custom Rezo Crash = 300
19" A Custom Rezo Crash = 285
20" Avedis MediumThin crash = 275
20" Oriental China Trash = 285
21" K Crashride = 375
8" A Custom Splash = 125
10" A Custom Splash = 125

Drum heads
Remo = (lets say 200 for all of them)

Hardware
Iron cobra HP900TW double pedal = 350
9 Tama cymbal stands (around 65 each) = 585
1 extra snare drum stand = 60

GRAND TOTAL: 7815Us$

Of course he has endorsment deals with Tama and Zildjian and probably doesnt have to pay that much (or maybe he gets his gear for free). But if we, the simple mortals, would like to have his drum kit it would be expensive.

UPDATE: The Tama Starphonic Bell Brass snare drum that i originally posted costs 2500us$ but as UrZ* said Abe uses Tama Starphonic Brass Snare Drum which cost far less than the other snare bringing down the original price from 9715us$ to 7815us$.

Source for drumkit parts: Wikipedia

I make music too

DeftonesNZ

Yeah he would get all the gear for free lucky bastard, I'm more jealous of Stephen though I know he can have ESP make him anything even basses. Because of how much exposure they give the instruments it's well worth what the equipment costs the company that kind of advertising is priceless I wonder how many of Stephen sig's ESP have sold over the years.

deftoner664

That kit is worth more than some peoples vehicles.. Crazy, but Abe is a dope drummer and deserves those endorsements... What a God-like kit man... 
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

Jacob

Being a drummer myself, I find it extremely unfair that our equipment is much more expensive than anyone else's.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

deftoolsys07

Eh well a guitar rig can definitely get up there, too.
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

Jacob

Quote from: deftoolsys07 on Apr 20, 2013, 08:04 PM
Eh well a guitar rig can definitely get up there, too.

True, but the difference is in the lower price ranges. For a decent drum kit, you still need to fork out a lot of cash for the drums themselves, cymbals that don't sound like utter shit and drumheads. It's a lot more to carry to a gig as well. And in the end, we're usually the one member in the band who sits furthest back on stage and away from the spotlight. It's a good thing we're generally better in bed.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

UrZ*

He uses the 14x starphonic brass. Not bell brass.. He has an original though ;-).

That snare is "only" 600 USD.

He has older kits (still made in Japan). He has a Starclassic Maple too. And he has the "hyperdrive" version too. So when he got the kits they were around 4000 in the stores ;-) Without any hardware.

He has different cymbals on the sets too. He has K 15" hats, which are discontinued.

You also forgot his Tama HH905 hihatstand. Auxiliary snare(s). He had a Pearl, later on it was replaced with a Tama :P

He probably has a lot of drums in storage which he uses for recording/rehearsing. He probably still has the Tama Bell Brass, which go on ebay for 4000-5000 dollars.. ;-) OC Snare for ATF was probably 1800-2000 ;-)

If u add up everything the mans owns, we're talking way over $ 50,000, maybe even over 75.. depending how much of his old kits, cymbals and other rarities he (still) has..

But u'r pretty right on the kit he uses live is around 10k. But hey Stef carries like 14 guitars of 1600+ dollars each around ;-)
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

ignore the fashion

I have also heard in a interview with Chino that they keep 2 identical setups, one in the states and one in Europe. So. Take your calculations and times that by 2 at least.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: ignore the fashion on Apr 22, 2013, 07:02 AM
I have also heard in a interview with Chino that they keep 2 identical setups, one in the states and one in Europe. So. Take your calculations and times that by 2 at least.
Yeah I heard that 2 but I thought it was one for studio and one for touring in general atleast for Stephen, Also I remember seeing an interview with Abe saying his sets were slightly different the touring set he has to change to his sponsors gear where as in the studio he use's different brands. Also I would say Stephens stuff would cost more he has 2 sets and in each one he has two guitars for each tuning so like which is like 14 -16 guitars now , plus his guitars aren't just his signature models he uses customs worth 3-4k each not to mention all his cabs, axe fx, pre amps and subs. Damn these guy's are lucky but they deserve it Stephen especially he has always been loyal to ESP apparently he has one Fender bass and all his other guitars are ESP.

ignore the fashion

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 22, 2013, 07:18 AM
Quote from: ignore the fashion on Apr 22, 2013, 07:02 AM
Yeah I heard that 2 but I thought it was one for studio and one for touring in general atleast for Stephen, Also I remember seeing an interview with Abe saying his sets were slightly different the touring set he has to change to his sponsors gear where as in the studio he use's different brands. Also I would say Stephens stuff would cost more he has 2 sets and in each one he has two guitars for each tuning so like which is like 14 -16 guitars now , plus his guitars aren't just his signature models he uses customs worth 3-4k each not to mention all his cabs, axe fx, pre amps and subs. Damn these guy's are lucky but they deserve it Stephen especially he has always been loyal to ESP apparently he has one Fender bass and all his other guitars are ESP.

I thought he said for touring, but I could be wrong.

UrZ*

He has 3 kits.

Starclassic Bubinga and Maple (a green one and a 'gold' one) and now he has the Hyperdrive (blue).

Cymbals vary a little between sets too.. He uses/used some discontinued hats and ride's with some of his sets.
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

mono

luisch

Quote from: illmono on Apr 24, 2013, 09:38 PM
I had read"drunk kit" HAHAHAHAHAH

always thinking about bebida and pisco, eh Mono qliao?
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

mono

Quote from: luisch on Apr 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Quote from: illmono on Apr 24, 2013, 09:38 PM
I had read"drunk kit" HAHAHAHAHAH

always thinking about bebida and pisco, eh Mono qliao?

HAHAHAHA, it's a way of life lucho...

Teknoman

Just an small (but significant) update on the estimated price, check out the original post :)

Ps. Thanks to UrZ* for the observation.

I make music too