Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Does Damone Belong On Around The Fur?

Started by truthaddict, Apr 23, 2013, 01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truthaddict

I owned Around The Fur CD back in 1997.  I listened to the album 100+ times back then.  I knew Damone was a "hidden track" tacked on the end, but I rarely listened to it.  It was a pain in the ass to fast forward to it on my cheap-ass CD players back then.  I just got used to the album ending with MX. 

Fast forward to the age of the Ipod, I have started to make lots of customized versions of albums.  We can edit albums any way we want now.  If you want to get rid of 30 minutes of silence, then do it.  If there are two songs on one track, you can split them.  If you think a song just sucks ass, then remove it.

I like to listen to albums the way that the artists originally intended, but everyone has to admit that 30 minutes of silence has no place on an Ipod.

I tried to put Damone as track 11 on Around The Fur, starting immediately after MX, but it just doesn't sound right. 

Do you have Damone on your version of Around The Fur, did you add it on to the B-Sides album, or do you just pretend it doesn't exist?

Around The Fur   
Rickets
Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)
Lotion
Dai The Flu
Headup
MX
Bong Hit (Ohh Yeah)      
Damone

buddyboy101

Really interesting topic.  I think there's no question that making a song hidden definitely puts it in its own category, which may be inferior to the rest of the "normal" songs on the album.  At the same time, it's still on the album.  If you wanna be a purist, you keep the silence and leave Damone where it was originally. Otherwise, trim the silence, and accept the fact that the song is on the record, you just happened to stop listening prematurely.  But no, I don't think it belongs on the b-sides compilation...or as the first track of white pony...or some other fabrication.  If you wanna compromise, just trim the silence to 30 seconds, and you'll have the same effect as MX being the album "closer" but with Damone offshore but in reach.

scarywindow

Quote from: truthaddict on Apr 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
I owned Around The Fur CD back in 1997.  I listened to the album 100+ times back then.  I knew Damone was a "hidden track" tacked on the end, but I rarely listened to it.  It was a pain in the ass to fast forward to it on my cheap-ass CD players back then.  I just got used to the album ending with MX. 

Fast forward to the age of the Ipod, I have started to make lots of customized versions of albums.  We can edit albums any way we want now.  If you want to get rid of 30 minutes of silence, then do it.  If there are two songs on one track, you can split them.  If you think a song just sucks ass, then remove it.

I like to listen to albums the way that the artists originally intended, but everyone has to admit that 30 minutes of silence has no place on an Ipod.

I tried to put Damone as track 11 on Around The Fur, starting immediately after MX, but it just doesn't sound right. 

Do you have Damone on your version of Around The Fur, did you add it on to the B-Sides album, or do you just pretend it doesn't exist?

Around The Fur   
Rickets
Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)
Lotion
Dai The Flu
Headup
MX
Bong Hit (Ohh Yeah)      
Damone

in my opinion, yes - Damone does indeed belong on Around The Fur.  It was on the record, after all.  I know MX is a perfect closing track, but Damone certainly fits the lyrical theme of the record, has the same feel, and is a fucking amazing song. 

so, in short - yes.  i put it as track 11 without the gap.  i don't usually have the patience to sit through the gap anyway :)

EDIT:  On  a similar note, but off topic a bit - I also put 'Lovers' as the closing track on Self Titled... and that was never even on the record.  I don't care.  They were fucking crazy for leaving that track on the cutting room floor.  One of the best tracks from that session, in my humble opinion.  Now - something back on topic a bit - I'd never put Crenshaw on my ATF tracklist.  It's a pretty weak song by ATF's standards.  However, I really wish they had re-recorded Can't Even Breathe for ATF and put it on.  That would have been amazing.

truthaddict

Quote from: buddyboy101 on Apr 23, 2013, 02:03 AM
Really interesting topic.  I think there's no question that making a song hidden definitely puts it in its own category, which may be inferior to the rest of the "normal" songs on the album.  At the same time, it's still on the album.  If you wanna be a purist, you keep the silence and leave Damone where it was originally. Otherwise, trim the silence, and accept the fact that the song is on the record, you just happened to stop listening prematurely.  But no, I don't think it belongs on the b-sides compilation...or as the first track of white pony...or some other fabrication.  If you wanna compromise, just trim the silence to 30 seconds, and you'll have the same effect as MX being the album "closer" but with Damone offshore but in reach.

Yeah, I have thought about leaving just 30 seconds of silence on the end of MX too.  I think that might be the best compromise.  That way Damone is still there, and it keeps some of that "out-of-nowhere-punch-in-the-face" effect.

I just like to put my Ipod on shuffle a lot too, and it kind of sucks to have any silence between songs.

I'm interested to see what others think.

pinkmaggit69

I replaced Rickets with Damone, cause I hate that song, and it allows MX to be the closer.....perfect album!  5 stars!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

buddyboy101

Yeah it's definitely up to personal taste. 

My self titled ends with Sinatra, Sleep Walk and Lovers.

Similarly, my White Pony ends with Boys Republic and Back to School.

I know it's inconsistent (Sinatra, Sleep Walk and Lovers were b-sides to singles, yet I don't put any b-sides, like No Ordinary Love/Crenshaw (which were b-sides to Change, even though from different eras) on White Pony, just album variants like BTS and Boys Republic).  So at the end of the day, set the playlist as you remember it growing up.

buddyboy101

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Apr 23, 2013, 02:16 AM
I replaced Rickets with Damone, cause I hate that song, and it allows MX to be the closer.....perfect album!  5 stars!

Funny, I used to leave Teenager off my White Pony playlist, but now I LOVE it.  Time's funny.  I used to not care for Rickets, but it's a short rager, and an excellent fluffer leading into BQAD.

truthaddict

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Apr 23, 2013, 02:16 AM

I don't mind deleting a song from an album if it really sucks, but I can't really bring myself to rearrange the track order like that. 

DeftonesNZ

I sort of like the fact it's hidden it makes it interesting plus I always fail to realise the music has stopped and then those drums kick in and I realise I've been listening to 30 minutes of silence lol, I think it certainly does belong it feels wrong to rearrange and chop albums up and I've got the Damone song by itself aswell if I want to listen to it anyway.

digital bath

Quote from: truthaddict on Apr 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
It was a pain in the ass to fast forward to it on my cheap-ass CD players back then.

I know that shit! ;D
And when I was to far forward and went a bit back, half the time I accidentally skipped the whole track back.
This was bullshit.

slyartwork

Don't forget the bong hit at ca. 19 mins into MX!
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

deftoneseba

I have it as track 11 with a 5 seconds gap between it and MX. No Bong Hit though.
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.

defTHE1s

I somewhat refuse the idea of having Damone as a single track, I have the one of 30 minutes of silence ripped, and I sometimes let the silence be there, sometimes i listen to other songs between the empty time, or just press fast forward 'till bong hit, then 'till Damone.
But since the mp3 of the 30 mins track needs a lot of space I did a reduction, being MX, 15secs of silence, Bong Hit, 15 secs of silence and then Damone.
Sometimes I even go repeat the whole track from MX and repeat the process twice or more.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Jacob

pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Dath

I remember one day I was listening to ATF while I was looking at random shit on the internet out of boredom. After Bong Hit, I forgot it was on and started watching some videos. One of them was some guy trying to make Cleverbot say something or another in particular, and when he got it he just lost his shit. Damone kicked in at the EXACT moment he started going nuts, and for just a second I thought he'd decided to try and overdub some victory music.

I'd leave it just for that. Still, it was on the album, so of course it's on my version of ATF.

Agreed with scary window, Lovers is amazing. How did that go from title track to B-side? Better than at least half the songs on ST, in my opinion.

DeftonesNZ

I think it was in that Q&A they had but I remember seeing something where Chino said that they loved Lovers aswell (no pun intended) but that it wasn't ready for the albums release and they didn't want to have a rushed version of it on since they liked it so much, so they decided to not put it on and spend the time to make it right.

Kingey

This is an interesting thread to me as it never occurred to me to have 'Damone' as a separate track on my itunes. Could anyone give me any advice on how to merge tracks? What I want to do is have 'MX' with a 10 second gap of silence and then the 'Bong Hit'. I'd like to merge these two tracks and then probably have 'Damone' as a separate track afterwards. Thanks.

By the way, I did try to figure out how to do this by googling how to do it, but had no luck.

lftpp

Quote from: Kingey on Apr 26, 2013, 07:27 AM
This is an interesting thread to me as it never occurred to me to have 'Damone' as a separate track on my itunes. Could anyone give me any advice on how to merge tracks? What I want to do is have 'MX' with a 10 second gap of silence and then the 'Bong Hit'. I'd like to merge these two tracks and then probably have 'Damone' as a separate track afterwards. Thanks.

By the way, I did try to figure out how to do this by googling how to do it, but had no luck.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+split+audio+track+in+Audacity+

Numina

Quote from: defTHE1s on Apr 24, 2013, 08:34 PM
But since the mp3 of the 30 mins track needs a lot of space I did a reduction, being MX, 15secs of silence, Bong Hit, 15 secs of silence and then Damone.

This is exactly what I did too, it works perfectly.

Bifrost

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 25, 2013, 02:54 AM
I think it was in that Q&A they had but I remember seeing something where Chino said that they loved Lovers aswell (no pun intended) but that it wasn't ready for the albums release and they didn't want to have a rushed version of it on since they liked it so much, so they decided to not put it on and spend the time to make it right.

Crazy, imagine of that song would have opened S/T, damn that would have hit hard... such a cool song and now it and songs like damone kind of just float around in deftones limbo