Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Does Back To School (Mini Maggit) Belong On White Pony?

Started by truthaddict, Apr 23, 2013, 05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truthaddict

I bought White Pony the day it was released.  I listened to the album 100+ times that year.  The version I got was the "Silver Cover" which does not include the song "Back To School (Mini Maggit)" at all.  The album I bought that day is a masterpiece.

I bought another copy a while later (Black Cover, I think) which has "Back To School (Mini Maggit)" added as track 1.  It just never sounded right to me.  Feiticeira was just such a face-melting intro, I didn't think anything belonged before it.

I think it is fairly common knowledge that the band didn't intend for "Back To School" to be on the album.  It also suffers from different mastering that makes it louder than the rest of the album.

Fast forward to the age of the Ipod, I have started to make lots of customized versions of albums.  We can edit albums any way we want now.  If you want to get rid of 30 minutes of silence, then do it.  If there are two songs on one track, you can split them.  If you think a song just sucks ass, then remove it.

I made "Back To School" track 1 on my custom version of "B-Sides & Rarities", and it sounds great.

Do you have "Back To School (Mini Maggit)" on your version of White Pony, did you add it on to the B-Sides album, or do you just pretend it doesn't exist?

Elite
RX Queen
Street Carp
Teenager
Knife Prty
Korea
Passenger
Change (In The House Of Flies)
Pink Maggit

scarywindow

I'll keep my reply VERY simple: 

Hell fucking no.  That song is atrocious, and is hated by most fans and the band alike.  It was only put on a version of White Pony to please Maverick Records.  The End.

Fuck that song.

buddyboy101

This topic should probably be consolidated with the Damone topic.

DeftonesNZ

No it shouldn't be on White Pony especially as the first track Feiticeira was a great opener and before back to school WP was a play through album , It should have been a bside on a single or something.

Electron§

I think people exaggerate how bad this song is, (not to say its ANYWHERE NEAR the best). To me its a demonstration of how Deftones can put their own twist on any genre and still make it sound good. But yes, I dont really think it goes too well as an intro to White Pony even though that is how I heard it originally myself.

nicklav

I never listen to that song. My version of White Pony is black, and it has The Boys Republic on it  :)

endstand

Quote from: scarywindow on Apr 23, 2013, 05:16 AM
I'll keep my reply VERY simple: 

Hell fucking no.  That song is atrocious, and is hated by most fans and the band alike.  It was only put on a version of White Pony to please Maverick Records.  The End.

Fuck that song.

If the band hates that song so much, why do they play it live sometimes? I guess all that hate is gone by now.
hello memory lover, you are mine

DeftonesNZ

When was the last time they played it? it has got to be at-least 10 years ago.

shoop

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
When was the last time they played it? it has got to be at-least 10 years ago.
Reading 2011 .. not sure if that's the last time, but they played it then.

DeftonesNZ

Whoa that recent that surprises me, I don't think they really hate it they seem to have fun when they do play it live I think they were more annoyed they were forced to make it and put it on the album especially when they were making a effort to distance themselves from that "nu metal" stuff ,as far as it rap metal goes it's not bad and the video's pretty cool, I like it how the other guys keep popping up and randomly fist bumping Chino as he skate's around.

scatterbrain

Quote from: nicklav on Apr 23, 2013, 06:32 AM
I never listen to that song. My version of White Pony is black, and it has The Boys Republic on it  :)
This,I have the red one(well,I own 3 versions,grey,white,and red,red is the only one I have ripped).It's a shame this track is pretty much forgotten.It's one of my favorite tracks from them.I would love to see it released more widespread one day(B-Sides and Rarities 2,someday,maybe?).I've shown it to may people throughout the years who had WP for years and never heard of it.
I have the B.T.S. EP as well,so when I want to hear it,that's where I go.Though I'll admit,its been a long time since that happened.
im me and thats all ill ever be

pony_01

i put back to school right after pink maggit and the boys republic. to make it more like a 'bonus track'

pony_01

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
Whoa that recent that surprises me, I don't think they really hate it they seem to have fun when they do play it live I think they were more annoyed they were forced to make it and put it on the album especially when they were making a effort to distance themselves from that "nu metal" stuff ,as far as it rap metal goes it's not bad and the video's pretty cool, I like it how the other guys keep popping up and randomly fist bumping Chino as he skate's around.

He bump-fist with Chi

defburn

Caín

When I downloaded the White Pony leak in May 2000, Back to School was the closing song, not Pink Maggit.

TheRealist

I bought the grey version and there's no Back to School nor The Boys Republic. I guess the early releases were the final mix the band delivered to Maverick and since the sales gone mad they asked for a hit single to push the sale$ a little more.

scatterbrain

Quote from: TheRealist on Apr 23, 2013, 02:58 PM
I bought the grey version and there's no Back to School nor The Boys Republic. I guess the early releases were the final mix the band delivered to Maverick and since the sales gone mad they asked for a hit single to push the sale$ a little more.
Original grey didn't have Mini Maggit,but it was available to download when you put it in your pc.Only the red and black ones had The Boys Republic.Only the white ones (the most common,and the one you still see on the shelf) had Mini Maggit.
It was on the leak,but it was a slightly different mix.

slyartwork

Welcome to Deftones school kids:

Versions released:
- Silver/gray cover - regular version.
- Red/Black - Limited edtion with Boys Republic added as an extra song.
2001 Re-issue:
- White cover - Has BTS added before the tracklist.

A true fan should own all these versions.

Maverick wanted a 'single' on the album for commercial reasons. BTS was a leftover, left out because the band didn't like it. Maverick insisted on a re-issue with this as their new single....

They have played it A LOT in 2010 and 2011.
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

scatterbrain

Hey Sly,have you ever heard of a Blue Version?A buddy of mine had this back in the day.It was just like the original silver/white cover with the pony in the bottom corner,as far as I an remember it was exactly identical to the original,it just had blue instead of silver,same disc.I tried to find it for myself years later,for collectors purpose's and I couldn't find any proof it ever existed.

slyartwork

Don't know about this. Some silver versions come across like blu-ish so It's probably faded or not printed well or something.
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com