Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

New Stone Temple Pilots singer is........

Started by defsteve, May 19, 2013, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defsteve

Chester Bennington.

New single 'Out of Time' available for free download from www.stonetemplepilots.com
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

DJR

OMG....why would they do that :(

Why not just have Richard Patrick and essentially turn Army of Anyone into STP?

ignore the fashion

chuckles

I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

theis

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Jacob

Nonononononononono. This can't be happening. :(
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

SwerveCityUSA

remember plush? ya, that was about all.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DeftonesNZ

At what point are these guys just going to give it up? At some point it has to become obvious to them it's not worth doing if they're settling for stuff all the time.

Jacob

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on May 20, 2013, 06:41 AM
At what point are these guys just going to give it up? At some point it has to become obvious to them it's not worth doing if they're settling for stuff all the time.

Yeah, I agree. I really really love STP, all of their material from the first album up until Shangri-La Dee Da is amasing and Scott Weiland, even if he's an expert at imitating others, had a unique voice and style that made them stick out. Not to mention great melodies and lyrics. The last effort with him was alright, although not comparable to anything else they'd done. And he's been out of shape for a long time. They should have just called it quits after that album. If the others want to keep playing music, and I wish them to do just that since they are amazing musicians and a great ensemble, they should just stick to other singers and another name. This is such a money grab, and probably a punch aimed at Scott's face. The new song is bland, Chester has completely ripped Scott's melodies and tries to sound like him, but sounds really flat and lacks any personality. I don't even want to think about him singing older STP stuff. There's just no way he can do it justice.

This has me even more disappointed than the lackluster STP from recent years.

And I can honestly say that eventough I despise Linkin Park, Chester IS a good singer and I respect him for that. But he's no replacement for Scott Weiland. A very poor fit, in fact.

DJR

The thought of that idiot singing the original stuff makes me heave :/

deftones47

I don't hate Chester Bennington, but he's not suited for STP.

bewareofrats

Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

DJR

Quote from: bewareofrats on May 22, 2013, 02:11 AM
This band is officially a joke.

Well yes they are now, i have loved everything from Core up to the Self Title! Now it's all shit!

Dath

Chester Bennington is actually a good vocalist, as annoying as Linkin Park's stuff can get. His style makes him a poor replacement for Scott Weiland though. Basically any singer from one of those post-grunge radio bands would be a better fit.

It's sort of like when Audioslave would cover RATM songs. Chris Cornell is a huge talent, but he has no business performing "Killing in the Name." Just doesn't work.

Anyway, I don't follow STP anyhow. I just can't get past how Weiland sounds exactly like Eddie Vedder, and Scott Stapp by extension. I'd probably like them more with another singer, just one that fits their sound. Linkin Park may as well have been all I listened to in middle school though, haha.

Jacob

Quote from: Dath on May 22, 2013, 09:21 PM
I just can't get past how Weiland sounds exactly like Eddie Vedder, and Scott Stapp by extension.

I hear this all the time and I don't think it's a very fair comparison. For one, yes he sounds kind of like Eddie on the first album. He then changed his vocal style completely and have alternated between different styles on different songs and albums. He has an amazing range and he can do very different styles with his voice. As for Scott Stap, yeah he ripped his vocals from the first STP album. I don't see how that reflects poorly on STP.

Dath

Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:04 PM
I just can't get past how Weiland sounds exactly like Eddie Vedder, and Scott Stapp by extension.

I hear this all the time and I don't think it's a very fair comparison. For one, yes he sounds kind of like Eddie on the first album. He then changed his vocal style completely and have alternated between different styles on different songs and albums. He has an amazing range and he can do very different styles with his voice. As for Scott Stap, yeah he ripped his vocals from the first STP album. I don't see how that reflects poorly on STP.

Well, I've only heard things from their debut. That's probably the case for a lot of people, I'd guess. What are some other songs of theirs that you'd recommend? I'm always down to hear music that I haven't yet, and it seems like you're a big fan of the band. I'd be more than willing to give them another chance.

As for the Scott Stapp thing, no, of course that doesn't reflect poorly on the band. I just have that association in the back of my mind when I hear STP, sort of prevents me from enjoying it as much as I might otherwise. I know that's a little ridiculous, but what can I say?

I could definitely see myself getting in to their music, though. It's probably just a matter of hearing the right stuff. I actually didn't like Deftones when I first heard them, but I was interested in their stuff and kept coming back to it until it clicked for me. Now I'm registered here, and they're my favorite band. I get the feeling STP would be that way for me, because every couple of months for a little while now I've given it another shot. Maybe I just need to hear some stuff from their other albums to help me appreciate Core. Who knows?

FlyingPiranha

Quote from: Dath on May 23, 2013, 12:26 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 22, 2013, 11:04 PM

Well, I've only heard things from their debut. That's probably the case for a lot of people, I'd guess. What are some other songs of theirs that you'd recommend? I'm always down to hear music that I haven't yet, and it seems like you're a big fan of the band. I'd be more than willing to give them another chance.

As for the Scott Stapp thing, no, of course that doesn't reflect poorly on the band. I just have that association in the back of my mind when I hear STP, sort of prevents me from enjoying it as much as I might otherwise. I know that's a little ridiculous, but what can I say?

I could definitely see myself getting in to their music, though. It's probably just a matter of hearing the right stuff. I actually didn't like Deftones when I first heard them, but I was interested in their stuff and kept coming back to it until it clicked for me. Now I'm registered here, and they're my favorite band. I get the feeling STP would be that way for me, because every couple of months for a little while now I've given it another shot. Maybe I just need to hear some stuff from their other albums to help me appreciate Core. Who knows?
I'm jumping in a bit here, but I would say give the album Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop a try. It's the most far and away sounding record from their 'grunge' sound, in that it's got a lot of jazz influence and Scott's vocal style is entirely different. It's a bit harder to pick individual songs since their sound varies a lot, but you'd be safe with some of the hits like Unglued, Lady Picture Show, Sour Girl, Days of the Week, Interstate Love Song, etc.

And I was definitely the same with Deftones, too. It took me a long time and a lot of listens until I finally got into them, but it was worth it.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017