Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The hatred for SNW sickens me

Started by jaypayton, May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypayton

Whenever I hear deftones "fans" talk about how SNW is their weakest album and how its their worst album, it is almost comical....SNW is a fucking dark masterpiece, and probably in about 5-10 years when the band is dead and buried, all of a sudden SNW will get the recognition it deserves while everyone forgets about DE and KNY. Its mind boggling to think there are people who may prefer DE or KNY to SNW....It makes zero sense to me....get fucking educated and appreciate the brilliance of that album..back when the band was making artistic statements and trying new things and taking RISKS, instead of going through the motions like the last 2 albums...

Zantera

I think DE and KNY has stronger songwriting, but SNW remains a really good album. I love the atmosphere on it, I just kinda wish they went a bit more "out there" with more songs like "U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start".

As a whole, I think SNW is a pretty strong album. Not sure how I would rank their albums, but I'd say the self-titled or Adrenaline is the worst. (Still great stuff though)

shoop

I don't really see much "hate" for it.. I personally love the shit out of it.

N0S3BLEED976

sing blue silver

It's my second favourite after self titled. I think it's a masterpiece and never understood the hate it got.

deftones47

SNW may be my least favorite, but I don't it's weak or bad in any way. I especially love Rapture, Rats! Rats! Rats!, and Combat, and unlike everyone else on this board, I don't think Mein is a bad song.

Jerry_Curls

I think it stems from weird production. Some tracks shine and others sound weird. I wish Beware got the proper production. It sounds like a demo. I wish Pink Cellphone didn't ever exist. I used to like it... Without that track, I think the album would've left a better taste on some peoples tongues.

I love me S/T era Chino vocals, but I appreciate how Chino started to sing again. I just wish it would've been done right (sometimes you can hear the straining as opposed to DE perfection)...but now that I think about...maybe thats what makes this album special. The inconsistencies? haha I dunno...

I like think of this album as evolution into a more spacey sound that was a precursor to KNY.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Inkblades

I like SNW, but it's all over the place as an album. Great moments, but there's not much cohesion to it.

luisch

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
It's my second favourite after self titled. I think it's a masterpiece and never understood the hate it got.

this
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

only pieces remain

i dig snw quite a bit. pink cellphone and mein fucking suck though. the rest is good.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: only pieces remain on May 22, 2013, 02:17 AM
i dig snw quite a bit. pink cellphone and mein fucking suck though. the rest is good.
Yeah but it's not my favourite like WP and ST because I can't just listen to the whole album without skipping songs. When I listen to it I skip Mein (Serj's part), Pink Cellphone(obviously) and rats (Chino sounds like he's yelling Jason over and over lol) but there are some real gems like Riviere, Xerces, Beware,hole in the earth etc that mean the album is still great just not cohesive enough to be my favourite.

only pieces remain

yep and don't forget combat.

lol at "jason". the very first time i heard the track when it leaked i thought thats what he was saying too.

pinkmaggit69

That dirty ass scream at the end of RATS!RATS!RATS!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

Jesus2Chino

Hahaha. "Jay-SON! Jayson yes I say a-jay-jay-SON!"

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

deftones86

I dont hate it. I just think they've done better.

bewareofrats

My favourite of theirs and their most creative.  I don't think it's hated, just underrated.  Glad to see some SNW love.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

VictorPL

its probably my favorite (along with st and wp). it  helps that this was the first deftones album i was really waiting for, checking forums, previewes and stuff. its was their last 'dark' deftones record imo. pink cellphone sucks, but mein is great imo. plus we got the demos, which was really cool. and who can forget finger of death! probably my favorite deftones song.

also the artwork is bad ass, i got the cover blown up and hung it on my wall. i love this album. DE was such a let down after snw imo, but KNY gave me some hope

chuckles

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

Hank

Quote from: jaypayton on May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Whenever I hear deftones "fans" talk about how SNW is their weakest album and how its their worst album, it is almost comical....SNW is a fucking dark masterpiece, and probably in about 5-10 years when the band is dead and buried, all of a sudden SNW will get the recognition it deserves while everyone forgets about DE and KNY. Its mind boggling to think there are people who may prefer DE or KNY to SNW....It makes zero sense to me....get fucking educated and appreciate the brilliance of that album..back when the band was making artistic statements and trying new things and taking RISKS, instead of going through the motions like the last 2 albums...

I love this album.
It's so fitting that it's the last thing we have heard Chi play on ( so far) since his sound is so huge on it.
Although it's really no different than" the last 2 albums". It's just different like the last 2 albums.

We all make subjective opinions on anything we like in life. Especially something like music. It's not " mind boggling" at all that the people that dislike SNW think that DE and KNY are stronger or any album they have made for that matter.

I recall you posting they have tried to go with a more mainstream sound with the last 2 records. I could make the assumption that SNW was the record that started what you seem to despise now. Rats and Rapture were some bangers that we may not have gotten on the past 2 records ( even though the production on both took away from the vibe compared to how they sounded live IMO) but they really showed a more polished style of letting us fans know where they wanted to go with their sound ((Waves,Combat,HITE,Rivere,Kimdracula,Xerces etc.).

Maybe you might get educated and appreciate the brilliance that not everything in life stays the way you want it.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I started to really appreciate what Chi did when I heard his bass track for Hole in the Earth , I didn't realise how much he did, I'm a guitar player and I had never really paid attention to the bass in the songs so alot of his stuff got lost in the mix to my ears and I only really heard the basic rhythm of the low notes, but when I heard that bass track I could hear all the style he put into his playing and it really made me appreciate what he added to the  music and I realised how empty the songs would have sounded without him.