Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The hatred for SNW sickens me

Started by jaypayton, May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorPL

1. SNW/WP/ST (can never decide which one I like the best)
2. ATF
3. Adrenalin
4. KNY
5 DE

I think SNW is an awesome album, dont get how you can hate it and love DE for example, but whatever. SNW was probably their last album that actually had that raw deftones sound

therealdaebat

Here's my breakdown of SNW. It sounds very harsh but I really, really disliked this album:

Hole In The Earth - Drums and ambiance / some of chino's singing reminds me of digital bath. Other than that this is where chino goes to that spacey singing. Production is crap in my opinion. Mostly on the vocals. A billion overdubs essentially make this unsingable live. I think it's a decent song but sounds nothing like their earlier work until the riff at the end.

Rapture - Another one with bad production. The guitar is pulled back too much to make room for the drums and vox. Reminds me of Street Carp. There are parts where Chino is forcing the screams. Overall I think this would be a great track if it had some decent production.

Beware - This one really got me excited when it came out. I think Chino could sing it better if he gave it another shot but that's essentially going to be the ongoing theme. Not horrible production on this one but not great. Too many overdubs like Hole In The Earth. As far as the song writing goes I think this one lacks a bit. Chorus is sang too many times and there's too much filler. The guys sure do know how to end a song though.

Cherry Waves - The acoustic version is a billion times better. The waning of Chino's voice makes me cringe. Too much trying to fix his singing with effects / overdubs. The 'you-ou-ou' stuff digs at my soul. Overall this song sounds nothing like deftones instrumentally. Can't stand the bass. Stef's guitar is on as usual. Reminds me of BQAD guitar.

Mein - Arggg. Much like most fans, I feel like this one just completely missed the mark. Not sure if they thought that the success of passenger would translate to this one or what but it just didn't not turn out well. The song was written to be way faster than the vocals Chino wrote. Serg's vocals just don't mesh well.

u,u,d,d,r,l,r,a,b,select,start - Filler. Not much going on here. I love the song but it's just not a deftones song imo.

Xerces - Ahh another spacey crosses / team sleep style song. I honestly don't have too much of a problem with this one. I'm not particular fond of that "goodbye" style singing but it works.

rats!rats!rats! - WAY too forced. Bass needs turned way up. Guitar is on as usual. I really dislike the way Chino sings on this one.

Pink Cellphone - This is one that I enjoy but it's another song that just doesn't belong on the album. Release it as a b-side.

Combat - Overall a great track but the production is shit again. Too many overdubs and Chino is off much like the rest of the album.

Kimdracula - Probably the best song on the album. Chino's voice is shot and just doesn't sound optimal but they squeezed out enough to finish it I guess.

Riviere - I love the guitar/bass on this track. Chino did a pretty decent job on the vocals on this one.

Final thoughts:

Chino really dropped the ball on this one and the production is very obviously lacking. They should have stuck with Terry Date. It's a really stark reminder of how dysfunctional the band was at this point. Here's a great step through with abe and chino about the recording of the album: youtu.be/LFZbzO5MYJo?t=25m

---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

el perro

Quote from: therealdaebat on Dec 10, 2014, 06:29 PM
Cherry Waves - The acoustic version is a billion times better. The waning of Chino's voice makes me cringe. Too much trying to fix his singing with effects / overdubs. The 'you-ou-ou' stuff digs at my soul. Overall this song sounds nothing like deftones instrumentally. Can't stand the bass. Stef's guitar is on as usual. Reminds me of BQAD guitar.

What is it about the bass on Cherry Waves you don't like? In my opinion Chi nailed it on those verses.

therealdaebat

Quote from: el perro on Dec 14, 2014, 11:41 PM
Quote from: therealdaebat on Dec 10, 2014, 06:29 PM

What is it about the bass on Cherry Waves you don't like? In my opinion Chi nailed it on those verses.

I just hate that walking bass he's doing. The song in general just rubs me the wrong way. Not much much about it other than the ambiance that I enjoy.
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

Frankz0r

I can't forget how almost everybody hated the fact of having another girl cover, the annoying crickets (put there on purpose to avoid "a good leak") on beware "the water" (demo name), the xerces demo video lyricless (wich was better without real vocals, at least that was what I first thought), the fact of having two versions (explicit and clean, I first got the clean one... Indeed it's the only one I have), the fucking PCP (it's a shame) and the SHITTY VIDEO PRODUCTION (HITE VIDEO IS A PIECE OF CRAP, WORST DEFTONES VIDEO EVER).

One of the least liked by me along with adrenaline, but awesome anyways. Man SNW era was great.

therealdaebat

the annoying crickets (put there on purpose to avoid "a good leak") on beware "the water"

How would that avoid a good leak?
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

Frankz0r

Quote from: therealdaebat on Dec 15, 2014, 02:58 PM
the annoying crickets (put there on purpose to avoid "a good leak") on beware "the water"

There was a first leak and you can hear them way much louder than the original. I'm not saying it was because of that, I just remember people saying that. 

therealdaebat

Quote from: Frankz0r on Dec 15, 2014, 03:06 PM

There was a first leak and you can hear them way much louder than the original. I'm not saying it was because of that, I just remember people saying that.

Ahh ok. I still have the demo version and I feel like it's pretty much the same song with just a few harmonies missing by Chino.  Maybe I need to relisten.
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

el perro

Quote from: Frankz0r on Dec 15, 2014, 03:06 PM

Beware the Water was the first official unmixed track (Steph?) put up on MySpace. I remember people kept thinking the outro was the beginning of another song for whatever reason.

Eros TBA

great release, fav tracks 'xerces' 'kimdracula' 'riviere'... rank it 1atr 2wp 3st 4ad <5snw> 6kny 7de