Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The hatred for SNW sickens me

Started by jaypayton, May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Dude, his playing on Combat tugs at my heartstrings

rainnyx4

Underrated album.  This is really when the band seems to start writing songs together (even though they were just as dysfunctional personally as ever).  On S/T and WP you could tell which songs were "Stephen songs" and which were "Chino songs".  On SNW it starts to become more blended.  Serj's contribution was pointless (and Mein wasn't that great of a song to begin with) and Xerces was kind of a snoozer but the rest of the album was pretty killer.  Love PCP by the way.

DeftonesNZ

I don't know about that the band members were pretty separated during that time it's no secret it almost broke them up and they say it was their worst experience because everyone was working individually, they admit the music suffered as a result, No one was really into it because of how much of a strain it was especially with Chino running off to do Team Sleep. Where as with White Pony and ST to a lesser extent the songs are really balanced as in every band member has a significant part in the song you can still tell who's idea the song was by the tone but everyone band member had an equal contribution to the final song, SNW songs seem to lean towards Chino or Steph alot it seems like they just went "Fuck you can have that song but I'm having this one"'.

Penicks

love this album, my second favourite, you don't have to be a genius to hear that the guy were in a bad bad place

DeftonesNZ

I like how even the real beautiful songs have a real bitterness to them, Cherry waves sounds like a normal love song to most but when you pay real attention to the lyrics it's actually pretty twisted.

Gee

Quote from: Inkblades on May 22, 2013, 12:16 AM
I like SNW, but it's all over the place as an album. Great moments, but there's not much cohesion to it.

Quote from: deftones86 on May 22, 2013, 03:53 AM
I dont hate it. I just think they've done better.

Quote from: Hank on May 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
Maybe you might get educated and appreciate the brilliance that not everything in life stays the way you want it.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: Hank on May 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
Quote from: jaypayton on May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Whenever I hear deftones "fans" talk about how SNW is their weakest album and how its their worst album, it is almost comical....SNW is a fucking dark masterpiece, and probably in about 5-10 years when the band is dead and buried, all of a sudden SNW will get the recognition it deserves while everyone forgets about DE and KNY. Its mind boggling to think there are people who may prefer DE or KNY to SNW....It makes zero sense to me....get fucking educated and appreciate the brilliance of that album..back when the band was making artistic statements and trying new things and taking RISKS, instead of going through the motions like the last 2 albums...

I love this album.
It's so fitting that it's the last thing we have heard Chi play on ( so far) since his sound is so huge on it.
Although it's really no different than" the last 2 albums". It's just different like the last 2 albums.

We all make subjective opinions on anything we like in life. Especially something like music. It's not " mind boggling" at all that the people that dislike SNW think that DE and KNY are stronger or any album they have made for that matter.

I recall you posting they have tried to go with a more mainstream sound with the last 2 records. I could make the assumption that SNW was the record that started what you seem to despise now. Rats and Rapture were some bangers that we may not have gotten on the past 2 records ( even though the production on both took away from the vibe compared to how they sounded live IMO) but they really showed a more polished style of letting us fans know where they wanted to go with their sound ((Waves,Combat,HITE,Rivere,Kimdracula,Xerces etc.).

Maybe you might get educated and appreciate the brilliance that not everything in life stays the way you want it.

*BLOOP*
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

bewareofrats

As much as I love this album, Pink Cellphone is easily the worst thing they've ever done.  It would make Team Sleep look terrible.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

DJR

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 21, 2013, 10:34 PM
It's my second favourite after self titled. I think it's a masterpiece and never understood the hate it got.

My thoughts exactly

cvthedrv

man i love this album, even i love the hatred against it because it makes me love it more and more.

Dath

SNW is amazing. I don't think it's "hatred," per se. Most people tend to think that ST and SNW are the weakest albums, but that's like saying that X song on White Pony is the weakest of the bunch: it's still great stuff.

Pink Cellphone is an embarrassing excuse for a song, though. I got SNW in digital format only, without that track, just so I could say that I don't have it.

deffur

Bob Ezrin produced it and he also produced some pink floyd - that in it self should tell u how great the album is for that type of producing.. the album took me a little time to get used to, personally i think all deftones' albums are tight, they each have a different vibe to the year of my life as a soundtrack...deftones are the soundtrack to my life...i personally love the instrumental and wished they would perform more instrumentals in the future...^-^

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Tapatalk 2

×× deffur ××

Inkblades

Yeah, but Ezin had so many problems with Chino that I don't think he finished producing it.  Chino and Slopez ended up finishing the vocals with Slopez producing at a later point. That's why the production sounds so discombobulated.

Deadradio

It did give us Riviere. Love that song.

blondie

it sickens me how people talk themselves into liking a terrible album for the sake of feeling like they love every single thing deftones erupts out of their ass chutes.

pony_01

Quote from: blondie on May 24, 2013, 06:43 AM
it sickens me how people talk themselves into liking a terrible album for the sake of feeling like they love every single thing deftones erupts out of their ass chutes.

lol its people like you

blondie

Quote from: pony_01 on May 24, 2013, 07:04 AM
Quote from: blondie on May 24, 2013, 06:43 AM

lol its people like you

loooooooooooool

Zantera

I find it kinda weird that SNW is considered "the bad one", while I don't think they have made a bad album, I would say Adrenaline and the self-titled would place lowest for me at least. Adrenaline because I think the band improved that sound a lot on Around the Fur, and it is a bit unpolished/new band making their first album, and first albums are usually a big learning process, where the band gets music out, but then learns a lot for the next album. And I also mention the self-titled because even though it has some stellar songs, to me it just lacks a unique feeling as an album. SNW has that post-rock/shoegaze influence, Diamond Eyes is the heavy one, White Pony is more experimental and so on. I feel like the other albums have something that makes them "an album of their own", some connection you can find within the songs that makes the album feel like a cohesive and consistent album. With self-titled, to me it sort of feels like when you make a greatest hits. The songs are not bad, but they don't really go together in that sense.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: jaypayton on May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Whenever I hear deftones "fans" talk about how SNW is their weakest album and how its their worst album, it is almost comical....SNW is a fucking dark masterpiece, and probably in about 5-10 years when the band is dead and buried, all of a sudden SNW will get the recognition it deserves while everyone forgets about DE and KNY. Its mind boggling to think there are people who may prefer DE or KNY to SNW....It makes zero sense to me....get fucking educated and appreciate the brilliance of that album..back when the band was making artistic statements and trying new things and taking RISKS, instead of going through the motions like the last 2 albums...

you're absolutely defunct and out service about KNY and DE, just leave them alone or go actually listen to them.

But yes I agree SNW is another awesome Deftones production, and the darkness is both appealing and alienating simply depending on my mood. I think it's the pop elements in songs like Hole in the Earth, Cherry Waves, Xerces and Beware that turn me off. But I still like them. I really enjoy Rats, Rapture and especially combat and kimdracula. Deftones always turn out, that's a fact.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

SwerveCityUSA

I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat