Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The hatred for SNW sickens me

Started by jaypayton, May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braincleaner

bewareofrats

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 26, 2013, 12:39 AM
Quote from: jaypayton on May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Whenever I hear deftones "fans" talk about how SNW is their weakest album and how its their worst album, it is almost comical....SNW is a fucking dark masterpiece, and probably in about 5-10 years when the band is dead and buried, all of a sudden SNW will get the recognition it deserves while everyone forgets about DE and KNY. Its mind boggling to think there are people who may prefer DE or KNY to SNW....It makes zero sense to me....get fucking educated and appreciate the brilliance of that album..back when the band was making artistic statements and trying new things and taking RISKS, instead of going through the motions like the last 2 albums...

you're absolutely defunct and out service about KNY and DE, just leave them alone or go actually listen to them.

But yes I agree SNW is another awesome Deftones production, and the darkness is both appealing and alienating simply depending on my mood. I think it's the pop elements in songs like Hole in the Earth, Cherry Waves, Xerces and Beware that turn me off. But I still like them. I really enjoy Rats, Rapture and especially combat and kimdracula. Deftones always turn out, that's a fact.
You just named three of the very best songs on the album: Beware, Hole in the Earth and Cherry Waves.  Pop elements?  No more than they've had throughout many of their songs.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Inkblades

Beware would be the best song on the album if it wasn't so badly produced.

Gee

Quote from: Inkblades on May 26, 2013, 06:30 PM
Beware would be the best song on the album if it wasn't so badly produced.

Yeah. It's not really good live either.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

bewareofrats

I don't understand the hate with Beware's production.  It does sound a bit different but it's not that bad at all.

Inkblades

Chino's vocals are not at their best by a long shot and the awesome work Frank does on the chorus is pretty much inaudible. Check out the early live performances of Beware before SNW come out. Those are great.

iceache

Quote from: bewareofrats on May 26, 2013, 07:06 PM
I don't understand the hate with Beware's production.  It does sound a bit different but it's not that bad at all.

It's terrible, and the volume is super low compared to the rest of the songs...

deftones47

Quote from: bewareofrats on May 26, 2013, 07:06 PM

Beware is one of the better songs off the album.

nicklav

What is the point of this thread? I've hardly ever seen "hate" for this album.

bewareofrats

Quote from: Inkblades on May 26, 2013, 07:15 PM
Chino's vocals are not at their best by a long shot and the awesome work Frank does on the chorus is pretty much inaudible. Check out the early live performances of Beware before SNW come out. Those are great.
I think Chino shines on SNW.  He sounds excellent on HITE, CW, Riviere and various parts throughout the album.  I think the production makes him sound a bit off on Beware but he still sounds great on it to me.  The volume on Beware is mostly only noticeably quieter at the beginning of the song to me.  The verses are quiet to begin with so it's not like it should be a loud song.

Jerry_Curls

Now that I think about it...it might be because there isn't guitars till the end of the song so the drums sound super loud. I loved watching them play it for the first time live....Stef on keys??? WTF!?!
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

laurapalmer

Beware is a great song, and should be up there with the classics, however the production on Beware is by far the worst of their career and its not even close.

Zantera

I know some people dislike it, but I really love Rapture. One of my favorites from the album.

Gee

Quote from: Zantera on May 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
I know some people dislike it, but I really love Rapture. One of my favorites from the album.

Hell yes. They are all on the top of their game on that one. If it wasn't for the last minute and Frank's synth this one could be on ATF. A lot has been said on Chino's vocals but they sound so. damn. raw.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

DJR

deftones47

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DJR on May 27, 2013, 02:47 PM
Combat all the way
yep.

I don't really enjoy beware, never have. once in a blue moon perhaps. That was the first song they debuted from this album live before it came out.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DJR

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 27, 2013, 04:58 PM
Combat all the way
yep.

I don't really enjoy beware, never have. once in a blue moon perhaps. That was the first song they debuted from this album live before it came out.

Nobody can deny the amazingness of the ending of Beware though...production, volume blah blah...its an immense piece of heavy music!!

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DJR on May 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on May 27, 2013, 04:58 PM
Combat all the way
yep.

Nobody can deny the amazingness of the ending of Beware though...production, volume blah blah...its an immense piece of heavy music!!

It's an okay part, it's the only moment besides a couple on adrenaline that they actually sounded "nu metal."
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

therealdaebat

---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones