Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The hatred for SNW sickens me

Started by jaypayton, May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bza々

Quote from: jaypayton on May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM
Whenever I hear deftones "fans" talk about how SNW is their weakest album and how its their worst album, it is almost comical....SNW is a fucking dark masterpiece, and probably in about 5-10 years when the band is dead and buried, all of a sudden SNW will get the recognition it deserves while everyone forgets about DE and KNY. Its mind boggling to think there are people who may prefer DE or KNY to SNW....It makes zero sense to me....get fucking educated and appreciate the brilliance of that album..back when the band was making artistic statements and trying new things and taking RISKS, instead of going through the motions like the last 2 albums...

agreed 110%. SNW and ST are my favorite albums are the closest deftones material that resembles team sleep which I happen to love more than anything deftones. The last 2 records are definitely too polished but they're a different band now and I can't hate on them for changing because they deserve the newfound fame they've gotten.

Korea Rounding

DJR

976-EVIL

Listen, every record Deftones have made is better that 90% of anything else out there including Saturday Night Wrist...

Chino and Abe both have been quoted that each album is the product of the space in time the band was in when it was recorded. Both saying that when recording SNW they did not put as much into the record as they had hoped. Drugs, seperation from each other and difficulty with Bob Ezrin and multiple producers were part of the mix when they created the record. Check the great Scuzz interview in the "Deftones pictures, interviews and magazine scans" thread. Really nice insight there...

Still love SNW, but it is what it is....Opinions are like assholes...everybodies got one.

Cheers!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: 976-EVIL on May 29, 2013, 04:08 AM
Listen, every record Deftones have made is better that 90% of anything else out there including Saturday Night Wrist...

yes exactly.

This one and Adrenaline were always my least favorite but for a month or so now I really enjoy, I mean I already enjoyed it to some extent but now I can listen to it without thinking about that time in my life. and the guitar riffs and tones are stellar as usual. combat and kimdracula all the way.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

SomeOf

SNW is a great record with amazing songs.

Problem is mostly the production.
Chino's vocals are not at their best either.

God

SNW Sucks. This album is awful.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: God on May 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
SNW Sucks. This album is awful.

god loves record, actually.

It's a really good blues album, and chino's vocals are completely sullen and watery, just filled with pain, it's lovely when youre in the mood.

NYRexall

SNW is a dark sonic masterpiece. I don't understand the gripes about Beware's production; it's supposed to sound the way it does. They labored over that album for years. Do some of you honestly think they would release some shit-produced track right in the middle of their album?

Seriously?

Not surprised to see people divided on SNW. Deftones are without question one of the great polarizing bands of our time. Their fanbase can't ever really agree on anything, except that the band is fucking awesome. And that's really all you need to agree on anyway.

SwerveCityUSA

SNW is my favorite one right now.

bewareofrats

SNW was where their creativity was in full bloom.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: bewareofrats on Jun 22, 2013, 08:21 PM
SNW was where their creativity was in full bloom.

whatever that means. it always has been.

Bifrost

SNW has some great songs but lacks cohesion and the production is shaky on certain songs

still bugs me on Reverie when chino twangs that note on his second to last strum.... I mean c'mon pfff

SwerveCityUSA

the production is probably there best, but yes I see on beware how people would complain, but that's because that production fits that song, one of my least favorite on the record anyway. the heavier songs probably have the most crisp production they've ever had which is saying a lot, because they've always had the best productions out there.

WhitePony1119

I think the album is pretty good...I'd probably rank it last in my lineup but "Hole In the Earth" is one of my favorite songs. Love "UUDDLRLRAB Select Start" as well. I think as someone else said it best when they said Pink Cellphone just gives the album a bad taste.

I still remember hearing SNW for the first time and when PC came on I was like "Huh?...sounds like the wrong track." I got through the first 2 minutes of the song and said ok not too bad and then we have maybe the weirdest lyrics or just speaking I have ever heard in a song.

Chino's part is good...but I hate the stupid dial-tone beat and the lyrics...I mean buttf*ck c'mon...at least Annie spoke it

Robotsatemygrandma

Quote from: Zantera on May 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
I think DE and KNY has stronger songwriting, but SNW remains a really good album. I love the atmosphere on it, I just kinda wish they went a bit more "out there" with more songs like "U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start".

As a whole, I think SNW is a pretty strong album. Not sure how I would rank their albums, but I'd say the self-titled or Adrenaline is the worst. (Still great stuff though)

I think the opposite... I think Diamond Eyes is their weakest album, along with some of Self Titled. Saturday Night Wrist has more fleshed out ideas that tested their musicianship, like KNY and WP. The song structures really stand out, which I believe was a direct effect from Ezrin.

I still really love SNW. It's a masterpiece that captures the despair they were experiencing. It's just, awesome.

SwerveCityUSA

Alls the inclusion of ezrin did was make the record take too long, and make chino write more ballads, which is the reason I had a problem with the album in the first place. I think those songs are great but the Stef songs made me long for more of that.

ANattyRat

I love Saturday Night Wrist, Beware was one of the first songs I heard from them and I was blown away by it, that's when I really started to love the band. Riviere is one of their most beautiful songs too, in my eyes. I don't get the hate for it either, but then, considering what they were all going through at that time, maybe some people can hear that in the music. I don't know, but they weren't in the best mindset as a band at that time.

And I agree with Robotsatemygrandma, I think Diamond Eyes is their weakest album, the only album I never really listen to.

DJR

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jul 07, 2013, 05:57 PM

And I agree with Robotsatemygrandma, I think Diamond Eyes is their weakest album, the only album I never really listen to.

I like DE but i rarely listen to it, usually just when i want Royal or TPID on.....

SNW is in my ears every other day. I think actually i have listened to Combat every day for like a year

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DJR on Jul 08, 2013, 09:40 PM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Jul 07, 2013, 05:57 PM

I think actually i have listened to Combat every day for like a year

not that obsessed