Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The hatred for SNW sickens me

Started by jaypayton, May 21, 2013, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpelon94

RoyBiggins

Big ROY a.k.a The Great Roybino a.k.a Big Money Roy a.k.a 10 inch ROY wasn't aware there was such hate for SNW. I like every song off the album except Cherry Waves (don't like the chorus and Pink Cellphone. When I saw them in 2006 at Cleveland House of Blues they played a bunch of SNW including Rapture and Rats, Rats, Rats. The atmosphere those songs created was like no other. The four times I've seen them after i think I heard HITE and Kimdracula from SNW, very disapointing. Could it be it's the bands least liked album who knows.

illthrowROCKS@U

One of my favourite albums of theirs, top 2 easily (it changes places with the Self Titled on an almost daily basis).  I hear the hate, shrug it off as blind metalheads who won't listen to anything that isn't "hard."  Hey, I'm a metalhead too, but I appreciate sheer talent.  The vibe SNW gives is like no other, perfect album from start to finish.  Rapture, Ratsx3, UUDDLRLRABSelectStart: enough said.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

MrBene

SNW is perhaps one of my favourite 2 albums. I can listen to it without getting tired or skipping songs, I think each of them has a vibe and a texture that compared to other Deftones albums it's just brilliant.

1. Hole in the Earth : Allright it has a crappy video but I think the vocals are spot on. Chi's bass kick ass all over the place. Damn, I miss Chi so much.
2. Rapture: The song to break some stuff in your room. I like Abe's work on this one.
3. Beware: Obscure and underrated song. I don't get the "sounds like a demo" thingy, I think this song in particular is specially mellow and dark, I love Chino's vocals and that synth (crickets + keys) in the background. "Cuz it's coming round" wow. Just wow. I think it's pretty minimalist and I love it.
4. Cherry Waves: High point in the record, the lyrics, the vocals, drums, guitar, bass, everything is perfect in this simple song. I play guitar and when I got this record it was the first song I learned to play. Many people understimate Frank's collaboration in many tracks, I always tell people to listen to these kinds of songs to understand how much texture and ambience he adds to the Deftones. Deftones without Frank is just not deftones. I love Chi's bass scale on this song, I can picture him playing this everytime I play this track.
5. Mein : There was a lot of criticism regarding this song, a lot of hate coming from the video and Serj participation in the chorus. I think Mein has a killer riff and Abe's drum are sick on this one. One of the most difficult tracks to play along playing drums for sure and keep up the tempo. If you don't believe me, go and try it. I hated the video just like everyone else and I don't see the "Deftones being deftones" as said in one interview (we got a bunch of friends and we just played along" or something like that, this song deserved a better video in my oppinion. I think it was a huge mistake to make this song the second single of the Album because it lacks the darkness of the rest.
6. UUDDLRLLRABSS: Chill-out atmosphere. This is what I like from many deftones albums, this sense of "let's chill, enjoy a beer or a bong or whatever and just lose yourself in music".
7. Xerces: In my opinion, highest peak in the record. The song sounds sad and relaxed, Chino's vocals are spot on, you just can feel everything in the ambience and if you've read about how difficult was for them to make this record, this song is just an example of how musicians can make you feel in the same way they were feeling through an specific situation. Again, Frank did it again, it may be subtle but it's there if you listen to it.
8. To cut a little bit with the relaxed songs, another kick ass song, I just love the tempo change and the chorus. Chino was struggling with spine-chilling screams? This is Chino with all his power baby! I love this song a lot.
9. Pink Cellphone: A lot of hate in this chilled and relaxed track, a nice groove, very very nocturnal. I can picture myself holding a drink in my hand, at night, watching girls dancing around. Annie's work is good, she thrown some ideas "on the run" and I think she fit perfect in this track.
10. Combat : second highest point in the record. Combat is just fucking awesome (pardon my french). I am highly disappointed that they do not play live this song because "we can't get it right live". Frank's intro is sick, puts you in the mood to enjoy this song to its fullest. The chorus, OMG, total badass. My second favourite SNW song and probably in my top 10 Deftones songs. Darkness everywhere.
11. Kimdracula: Totally dark, mellow, sad. Kimdracula is my favourite song in this album. Just the "I really wish these snakes were your arms", bro, I couldn't even think about coming up with a line like that. That's Chino's magic I guess. This song as a lot of meaning to me, personally, and I am very happy that they sometimes play it live. In my opinion this should have been the single of SNW, the atmosphere, the music, the vocals, everything fits, everything makes this song very special.
12. Riviere: I always said that Deftones close their albums with magic, Riviere is magic. Slow-tempo song with spot on vocals. It's like growing every second, until 01:45 when just explodes in your face. It's like the best song to close this album.

Overally, I think the album has cohesion, perhaps I am not expert in the subject but I know what I enjoy and like and in my opinion, SNW is an excellent album. Dark, relaxed, mellow, beautiful. I know the struggle the band faced while recording, personal issues, producer issues, everything, but I think this album reflects an era, reflects something that mybe only who have been in very dark places can relate to.

Thank you Deftones.
Have a beer!

Capt Snow

SNW is defenitely an overall better album than Self-titled for me. It has higher highs whereas Self-titled has no highs whatsoever.

DeftonesNZ

I don't know I love the raw brutatility on songs like WGTB ,Bloody Cape and Needles and Pins, Also I love the dark tone of the album all the songs sound really emotionally raw, each song is really emotionally honest it's like from Deathblow onwards all optimism has been lost it probably will sound stupid but to me it's sort of like you're experiencing the thoughts of someones who lost everything and you're just seeing them go back and forwards between hating everyone and hating themselves, It's hard to match the sort of Atmosphere I think S/T has a lot more cohesive it's consistently dark and emotionally heavy, SNW is a  lot more over the place due to the long time span.It's like in S/T the guys were unhappy but it brought them together and they made the music together whereas in SNW they were and unhappy but they especially Chino isolated themselves from one another and started to hate being around each other and the music reflected that separation.

jbmp1390

SNW is a great album, just never got the respect it deserved. Not as good as self titled, but still a great album from the guys. Miles ahead of the excuse for a deftones album that is KNY.

Can I use this chair? Seriously can I use it?

Capt Snow

Quote from: jbmp1390 on Aug 19, 2013, 09:40 PM
SNW is a great album, just never got the respect it deserved. Not as good as self titled, but still a great album from the guys. Miles ahead of the excuse for a deftones album that is KNY.

Too bad SNW has disasters like "Beware the Bad Production", "Mein" and "Pink Cellphone".

deftones47

I really cannot see why everyone hates "Mein" so much.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: deftones47 on Aug 21, 2013, 01:15 AM
I really cannot see why everyone hates "Mein" so much.
for me it's Serj's part I like his voice but not in this song, the whole rolls along so well with the rolling lyrics and drum beat and then it just stops at his part, it's like they didn't know how to fit Serj in so they just went fuck it pause the song here just chuck serj's part in and then will continue.It like it was done without anythought for the surrounding song

people are people

I like Mein but yeah Serjs part is a bit odd and this album is awesome.

Dath

Quote from: people are people on Aug 21, 2013, 11:04 PM

Yeah, the change to Serj's part is way too abrupt, and they don't really utilize him as much as they could have. He's got a nice range of stuff he can do vocally, and he's just lazily repeating 2 lines for a bit. Love Serj, but I'm not quite sure what he was doing on the song.

people are people

Quote from: Dath on Aug 25, 2013, 09:48 PM
Quote from: people are people on Aug 21, 2013, 11:04 PM

they don't really utilize him as much as they could have. He's got a nice range of stuff he can do vocally, and he's just lazily repeating 2 lines for a bit. Love Serj, but I'm not quite sure what he was doing on the song.

I completely agree with you!

chi_no

For me the albums on a scale from most awesome to most shitty are definitely:
01. Adrnealine
02. White Pony
03. Around The Fur
04. Koi No Yokan/Deftones (?)
05. Deftones/Koi No Yokan (?)
06. Diamond Eyes
07. Saturday Night Wrist

el perro

I haven't really listened to Saturday Night Wrist in a long time. Track for track I think it's a good album but I definitely get the vibe that it's pieced together, and Chino admits his vocals are incredibly strained. Deftones should learn how to key change so Chino can actually sing without straining his voice.

buddyboy101

Been a fan since White Pony.  SNW was the first album where the Deftones let me down.  I know this might not be a popular opinion, but here's my breakdown:

1.  HITE:  very boring riff, Chino's vox are all sorts of strained
2.  Rapture:  a brutal, off-beat song (similar to Hexagram), but again super strained vocals.  painful/harsh to listen to.  not in a good way.
3.  Beware:  killer melody and vibe, love the crickets
4.  Cherry:  very cheesy song, strained vocals, annoying melody
5.  Mein:  a very generic, uninspired song
6.  Konami:  novel in the sense that no one's playing "their" instruments, but overall uninspired jam that they happened to record and release
7.  Xerces:  another cheesy song, weak lyrics
8.  Rats:  heavy for the sake of being heavy, the only redeeming part is the sound of chino shuttering/breathing at the very end - nice touch
9.  Pink:  one of my favs, love the vibe, super creepy
10.  Combat:  deftones at their finest, but intro's way too long and self-indulgent
11.  Kim:  again deftones at their finest
12.  Riviere:  lyrics tell a cool story, but overall an insipid composition that turns out to be a good closer to an equally uninspired album

Harsh words, I know.  But really, this was the sound of a band falling apart. 

III

Wow... was not seeing pink cellphone as a favorite.

nicklav

I think we listened to different version of Riviere.

buddyboy101

Vesanic