Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Has an artist ever taken a while to 'click' with you?

Started by MaximumPezcore, Jun 15, 2013, 03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximumPezcore

I've always kinda liked Meshuggah, but just in the "omg so heavy" kind of way. Like I saw them live last year and I had fun despite not knowing many of the songs, just because it was heavy as fuck, but recently I laid in bed in the dark with headphones on listening to them and I just mentally said "holy shit" because it was so much more than it just being heavy, it was an experience filled with many subtle sounds, brilliant atmosphere, and so much more.

What I'm asking is, basically, has there ever been artist you either showed a small amount of interest in, or didn't like initially, and then just 'clicked' with you?

DeftonesNZ

Yeah this has happened heaps, I think it's just about being in the right head space for the music, if you listen to stuff you don't relate to you can't connect to it but a short time later you could have changed to become compatible with the music and all of the sudden you will gel with the music and hear it in a different way.

SwerveCityUSA

almost everything ive ever liked take time to like. I like so much stuff because of that, I just care immensely about all heartfelt music and love how all of it has something to give in a spiritual way. theres not much music I don't know about except since the turn of the century.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Jacob

Yeah, all the time. I didn't like Deftones at first. Didn't interest me one bit. When I first heard White Pony it "clicked". That's just one example, I love a lot of music that took a while before I could really embrace it. But these days I'm very picky and I don't really listen to anything that doesn't sound very good from the very first listen. But even then, some artists take a while before I really "get" them and they ascend from being good to astonishing.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Zantera

Personally, I feel like in many cases, the bands that has needed time to click for me, has also been the ones I have loved the most in the end.

tarkil

Converge for me. It was just random noise at first, until I started to decipher more and more stuff from their music, and I started to love them more and more

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

ANattyRat

All of my favourite bands. Liked one Deftones song and hated the rest for months, then liked another couple, didn't like the rest, etc. Same with the rest of the bands I like, I usually like one song and hate the rest until later.

B33HIV3

It's interesting how musical preferences can change over time. Initially, I leaned towards boom bap hip hop, and I still do. 12 years ago, I was into Gucci Mane's songs like 'Trap Talk' and 'Weirdo', The album your favorite rapper's favorite trapper which were a bit perplexing. Now, I'm drawn to trap. The new album 'Breath of Fresh Air,' especially 'Gucci Mane - Now It's Real,' and the collaboration with J. Cole
Gucci Mane - There I Go (feat. J. Cole & Mike WiLL Made-It) is dope. Appreciating different subgenres truly enhances the musical experience