Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

How many albums have the deftones still in them ?

Started by Caín, Jul 01, 2013, 05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Crazylegs on Jul 03, 2013, 01:58 AM
You must be smoking. I'm not a big stones fan myself, but the they've made some truly timeless music throughout the years, and will forever be more relevant than deftones in the big "music picture".
Yeah I agree that they've had an overall bigger impact on music but I think they are just repeating themselves to much now, I wish they would just retire gracefully instead of putting out music just for the sake of it, when a band starts doing that they start killing their legacy because they go from being a band with a great discography to a band with a few great albums and a lot of average stuff.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 03, 2013, 04:25 AM
You must be smoking. I'm not a big stones fan myself, but the they've made some truly timeless music throughout the years, and will forever be more relevant than deftones in the big "music picture".
Yeah I agree that they've had an overall bigger impact on music but I think they are just repeating themselves to much now, I wish they would just retire gracefully instead of putting out music just for the sake of it, when a band starts doing that they start killing their legacy because they go from being a band with a great discography to a band with a few great albums and a lot of average stuff.

I'd go as far as to say they've had zero impact on music. but on the idea of being in a band, and touring and handling the media and all that other shit, yes they were one of the first ones to be involved in that. the actual music was nothing, and they even say how 99 percent of it wasn't even their own.

But why wish they should retire? I hate when people do that, just let them go do there thing, you can sit down and retire, how about that.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

pinkmaggit69

Quote from: jaypayton on Jul 02, 2013, 01:36 AM
They should have broken up after Chi got in the accident. As far as I am concerned, the Deftones ended that night

...but then we would have never heard the scream at the end of Royal.  I'm glad they stuck together.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jul 03, 2013, 06:56 AM

I'd go as far as to say they've had zero impact on music. but on the idea of being in a band, and touring and handling the media and all that other shit, yes they were one of the first ones to be involved in that. the actual music was nothing, and they even say how 99 percent of it wasn't even their own.

But why wish they should retire? I hate when people do that, just let them go do there thing, you can sit down and retire, how about that.
It doesn't bother me personally if they keep going, I just wish for their own sake they would, at some point these bands just start looking like pathetic old men stuck in the past, it would be better if they had aged gracefully but all bands who keep doing the same stuff over and over eventually start just looking like a parody of their former selves, it becomes sad after a while. I hate seeing these bands that were  icons of rock'n'roll being reduced to a joke because they didn't know when to give up.

digital bath

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jul 03, 2013, 01:40 AM
Quote from: digital bath on Jul 02, 2013, 04:01 PM
deftones are on a high fly, I'm sure they play some more years and make a few albums.
whether the (hardcore)fans like it too, is another story.

the hardcore fans are the only ones that do like it, and luckily newer fans come along to keep the money flow going.

Yeah but we know they are some hardcore fans they don't like the new stuff.
They say things like they only produced shit after SNW and/or that they had better broke up after Chi's accident.
I mean it's totally ok when you love the "old" deftones and don't like the newer stuff.
Each can decide for himself what he likes or not.
But if you can't accept and handle it that deftones are constantly growing and changing, trying to bring their music to a new level, and you're just nagging on everything because you don't like it, you better STFU.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I have no problem with people not liking the new stuff and I fully expect people not to but there's a big difference between saying it's not for me I'll stick to the old stuff and being disrespectful and constantly talking shit about it and people who enjoy it, If I don't like something I will say so but then I will move on to new music, I'm sick of these people who have made their opinions VERY clear but still feel the need to constantly tell others that they have shit taste and the arrogance to act as if their completely subjective view on music is somehow the 'right' view, it's just ridiculous.

FlyingPiranha

If I had to make a guess, I'd say two (especially if they go back to taking three years between albums). They're riding a high right now and are enjoying renewed success and still pushing their sound, so they definitely won't be quitting any time soon. But I can't see Chino screaming his head off every night at 50 years old, either.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

Jacob

The doomsayers are at it again.

KNY was one of their most inspired albums ever. I think they have many more albums in them. If they call it quits, I don't think it will be because they're out of material. I'm sure we'll see at least one or two more albums. Chino won't change what he has with Deftones for a band that only released one album years ago, a project that never took off and is only known by Deftones fans or a collaboration with another band that will never make it nearly as big as any of their original line-ups.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Jacob

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 03, 2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah I have no problem with people not liking the new stuff and I fully expect people not to but there's a big difference between saying it's not for me I'll stick to the old stuff and being disrespectful and constantly talking shit about it and people who enjoy it, If I don't like something I will say so but then I will move on to new music, I'm sick of these people who have made their opinions VERY clear but still feel the need to constantly tell others that they have shit taste and the arrogance to act as if their completely subjective view on music is somehow the 'right' view, it's just ridiculous.

Agreed. Especially considering that what they actually like with the band is the run-of-the-mill stuff that tons of other bands have done (although not nearly as good), rather than the experimental constantly evolving music that the band is now known and loved for.

Caín

Quote from: Jacob on Jul 04, 2013, 03:28 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 03, 2013, 06:15 PM
the experimental constantly evolving music that the band is now known and loved for.

You know we're not talking about King Crimson here, right?

Jacob

Music can be experimental and evolving in a wide range of different ways.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Jul 03, 2013, 07:09 AM
They should have broken up after Chi got in the accident. As far as I am concerned, the Deftones ended that night

...but then we would have never heard the scream at the end of Royal.  I'm glad they stuck together.

<3

jaypayton

if you think DE and KNY are "experimental and evolving" you are on drugs

ANattyRat

Quote from: jaypayton on Jul 07, 2013, 08:03 AM
if you think DE and KNY are "experimental and evolving" you are on drugs

Every comment I see from you is full of superiority, like you're the only person whose musical opinion matters so you can tell people when they're wrong. But it's just not true. You don't like their last two albums, OK, cool, but others do; some new fans, some fans that have loved their music for a long time. Who cares? Stop telling people what they should think. I love Koi No Yokan, and I also love Adrenaline. They sound very different, and that's what I love about them. They do evolve and experiment with each album, bring in new influences. Diamond Eyes didn't sound like any of their other albums, and then from there, Koi No Yokan feels like a more expanded and creative album from the same ideas and mindset that they had when creating Diamond Eyes. That, in itself, is evolving. You hate the albums and you hate how the band are nowadays, and that's understandable and fine, but it doesn't make you right, either.

Who says it's just for the sake of it? Listen to all their interviews, watch them, look at Chino's side-projects, they're not done, they're not going through the motions, they're still happy to be making music. Just because some don't like the new direction they've gone in since Diamond Eyes, doesn't mean anything, because some people hate their album Deftones, some people hate Saturday Night Wrist, and some people hate Adrenaline. The fans' opinions matter, but they shouldn't, and don't, matter when it comes to the direction they choose to go in, nor whether they continue or not. They're making the music they want to make, and they might lose some fans for it, but if they're happy to do it, then there will always be people around to like their music.

DeftonesNZ

Go back and read that post properly we were talking about the Rolling Stones, I like the new stuff lol

deftones47

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Jul 05, 2013, 08:08 PM
Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Jul 03, 2013, 07:09 AM

<3

Agreed.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jul 03, 2013, 02:42 AM
what's so timeless about their music, because they make the type of songs that are easy to market, with no sense of feeling? yeah that sounds like the billboard charts to me too.

I'm with you, honestly...  I never thought the Stones were all that great, and I like a lot of classic rock.  The music industry is more difficult (and yet simultaneously easier) now than ever before.  With the increases in technology and the internet, anyone can listen to anything at any time.  It used to be, to hear anything that wasn't "mainstream" meant someone had to physically hand you a tape.  I think that the huge bands of yesteryear would probably be much less popular had they been introduced today (even if musical taste was the same as it was then), just simply because there would be more competition. 

For not being hugely mainstream, Deftones have done A LOT for the music industry.  They've influenced tons of bands, and been involved in many side projects and different genres.  The Rolling Stones were one trick ponies, fueled by marketing campaigns and constant airplay.

So who made the MOST impact on the industry?  Well, The Stones, of course.  But who stood against greater odds to make the impact they DID make?  Defintely the Tones.

On topic:

I think the Deftones have barely scratched their creative peak.  Sure, I think their 2000s-era (WP/ST/SNW) was their "best," but much of that has to do with the time and place and my age during that time and place.  But as far as pure CREATIVITY goes, they're almost more creative now than ever before.  The decision to continue forward and make DE even after Chi's accident really shows they have no intention to stop any time soon, and the creative leap from DE to KNY prove they're nowhere near done with making great music.

One thing's for sure, even if you think their new music sucks, they're playing better live than EVER before!  And if you don't like their new path, then move on.  Listen to the old stuff, and stop talking about the new.  Live in the past all you like, but I will move forward and enjoy my favorite band even more than ever!

Oh, and I'd say maybe 2-3 new albums + Eros.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jul 19, 2013, 11:00 PM
Quote from: SwerveCityUSA on Jul 03, 2013, 02:42 AM
what's so timeless about their music, because they make the type of songs that are easy to market, with no sense of feeling? yeah that sounds like the billboard charts to me too.

I'm with you, honestly...  I never thought the Stones were all that great, and I like a lot of classic rock.  The music industry is more difficult (and yet simultaneously easier) now than ever before.  With the increases in technology and the internet, anyone can listen to anything at any time.  It used to be, to hear anything that wasn't "mainstream" meant someone had to physically hand you a tape.  I think that the huge bands of yesteryear would probably be much less popular had they been introduced today (even if musical taste was the same as it was then), just simply because there would be more competition. 

For not being hugely mainstream, Deftones have done A LOT for the music industry.  They've influenced tons of bands, and been involved in many side projects and different genres.  The Rolling Stones were one trick ponies, fueled by marketing campaigns and constant airplay.

So who made the MOST impact on the industry?  Well, The Stones, of course.  But who stood against greater odds to make the impact they DID make?  Defintely the Tones.

On topic:

I think the Deftones have barely scratched their creative peak.  Sure, I think their 2000s-era (WP/ST/SNW) was their "best," but much of that has to do with the time and place and my age during that time and place.  But as far as pure CREATIVITY goes, they're almost more creative now than ever before.  The decision to continue forward and make DE even after Chi's accident really shows they have no intention to stop any time soon, and the creative leap from DE to KNY prove they're nowhere near done with making great music.

One thing's for sure, even if you think their new music sucks, they're playing better live than EVER before!  And if you don't like their new path, then move on.  Listen to the old stuff, and stop talking about the new.  Live in the past all you like, but I will move forward and enjoy my favorite band even more than ever!

Oh, and I'd say maybe 2-3 new albums + Eros.

I think they are better than ever, I've gotten in many fights for saying so, both live and in the studio. And I agree with you wholeheartedly about everything except the stones have more impact, you basically made a case of why deftones have more of an impact. there original groundbreaking albums, styles, trends, huge influenced on the bands that do sell records in the mainstream and so on. that's why all the blues artists and jazz artists and reggae artists that inspired rolling stones and every other chart topper that just ripped there shit off had more of an impact for that precisely is what an impact is.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat