Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Stephen Carpenter Releases His Axe FX II Koi No Yokan Presets

Started by deftoner664, Jul 19, 2013, 09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftoner664

Stephen and Sergio have been using Fractal Audio Systems' Axe Fx II since the making of Diamond Eyes. On July 18th, 2013, Stephen released his first Koi No Yokan Presets pack.. For years Stephen just used his Marshall and a ton of pedals, now its just his Axe Fx, his pedal board to control it, and his personal 4x12 cab on stage for monitoring himself... All the albums have been tone matched, and it seems more of his tones will be available in the future.

Details
http://www.fractalaudio.com/stef-deftones-preset-pack-1.php

STEF CARPENTER DEFTONES "KOI NO YOKAN" PRESETS

Eleven PRESETS with up to four SCENES each.
Created by Tone Matching actual album stems.
The first in a series of preset releases by Stef Carpenter.
Compatible with Axe-Fx II Firmware 10.x
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

DeftonesNZ

Man I wish I had an Axe Fx right now, they are ridiculously expensive here because they are so rare because Fractal won't let anyone in NZ sell it because an Australian company already has the rights but that company doesn't sell to NZ so the only ones are specially ordered in from elsewhere or brought when overseas.

deftoner664

Axe-Fx II is way out of my price range too, and I live in the states... I hope one day they will drop in price commercially... Ebay has good deals on them from time to time. That still is a really strange choice for Fractal to do that there in NZ... I'm a POD HD user myself, but I want to take a look at Steph's settings on Axe-Edit and see if I could get close to it. Now we can see exact settings for things like the flanger/phaser effects we hear in Lotion for example.  I'd love to just have the Poltergeist preset, I think that is one hell of an awesome high gain tone.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I would like to see them aswell I'm not gigging or anything, I'm just at home so I just use my laptop with PodFarm and GuitarRig, I wouldn't even know what to do with an AxeFx II but I'd love to get my hands on one anyway lol I would just lock myself in a room and experiment.

DeftonesNZ

Just read that pdf that came with them, some cool info in there he calls "What happened to you" "What the fuck happened to you" ,he goes over some of his other gear and says that black horizion looking 8string he has with the white pickups was the one used for all the KNY recording, also notice he has a few teles with trems.

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

deftoner664

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 20, 2013, 01:36 AM
Just read that pdf that came with them, some cool info in there he calls "What happened to you" "What the fuck happened to you" ,he goes over some of his other gear and says that black horizion looking 8string he has with the white pickups was the one used for all the KNY recording, also notice he has a few teles with trems.

I just looked at the PDF too the other night.. Some good info and pictures in there... I like how it's personally typed out by Stephen too. I downloaded the beta version of Axe-Edit and opened it up, however, it  doesn't allow me to mess with the parameters, they are set uniquely but no percentages, Hz, or dB are being displayed. They are locked in it seems like.. I think it might be because I dont have an Axe Fx synced up with my laptop..

Teknoman

Downloaded axe-edit also and checked out the presets... and the thing looks complex, lots of knobs, lots of settings, memory banks here and there, sub menu for this and that,  among other things to adjust.... this gear if for the "Pros" :P

I make music too

deftoner664

Quote from: Teknoman on Jul 20, 2013, 05:27 PM
Downloaded axe-edit also and checked out the presets... and the thing looks complex, lots of knobs, lots of settings, memory banks here and there, sub menu for this and that,  among other things to adjust.... this gear if for the "Pros" :P

No doubt man! When I talked to Stephen last year after a show, he said it was huge learning curve for him... And without the help of Kevin I'm sure it would have been waaay more difficult for him to prepare all the tones he has now on his Axe-FX II.

SwerveCityUSA

I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DeftonesNZ

Thought guys might find this interesting it's like a dairy from the guy who helped him dial in all the presets, apparently all the other albums are done to but just need some final tweaking.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/67140-working-stephen-c-deftones-week-check-out-our-progress-2.html

SwerveCityUSA

what do you do with axe fx, do you use a power amp for it?

does it model marshall and mesa's amp history? if so I'd love one.

DeftonesNZ

It's basically just a pre-amp you can run it direct to pa, headphones, self powered frfr speakers, through a computer or you can use a speaker cabinet but you'd need a power amp. I don't think mesa and marshall are in there by name but those tones would definitely be acheivable.

SwerveCityUSA

ya that's pretty cool, 2300 bucks though damn. I would just hope it sounds great through a tube power amp.

DeftonesNZ

They sound amazing, Stef doesn't use poweramps apart from his own little monitor cab the actual signal going out is straight from his Axe Fx 2 to the pa but to get the tube sound he has one of those palmer dpi boxes, he also said they started to run DI with Chino's guitar aswell around the same time Stef did and that one day a few years later Chino was saying to Stef that nothing beat having real stacks and that DI would never be same and Stef laughed at him because he hadn't been mic'd and had been using DI for years but it was so good Chino never noticed lol.

hbabels

The link to these presets no longer works, can only post a current link of somewhere I can download them or if you've downloaded them please share? I just got an Axe FX and would LOVE to check these out! Thanks!

Quote from: deftoner664 on Jul 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
Stephen and Sergio have been using Fractal Audio Systems' Axe Fx II since the making of Diamond Eyes. On July 18th, 2013, Stephen released his first Koi No Yokan Presets pack.. For years Stephen just used his Marshall and a ton of pedals, now its just his Axe Fx, his pedal board to control it, and his personal 4x12 cab on stage for monitoring himself... All the albums have been tone matched, and it seems more of his tones will be available in the future.

Details

defTHE1s

Quote from: hbabels on Jun 13, 2017, 05:06 PM
The link to these presets no longer works, can only post a current link of somewhere I can download them or if you've downloaded them please share? I just got an Axe FX and would LOVE to check these out! Thanks!

Details

I second this, please, someone?

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Lucas_Moreno

Quote from: defTHE1s on Jun 22, 2017, 06:51 PM
Quote from: hbabels on Jun 13, 2017, 05:06 PM

Details

I second this, please, someone?

Oh damn, me too

defTHE1s

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...