Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Stephen Carpenter Releases His Axe FX II Koi No Yokan Presets

Started by deftoner664, Jul 20, 2013, 12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bifrost

This is cool but to be honest, Stef hasn't had a great tone since Self Titled Era... Once he went to 8 strings he started changing his rig to accommodate that added low end and it just never sounded the same, IMO

That Marshall JMP sound on ATF and WP was really their signature tone, with the mid's boosted and very dissonant sounding... ahhh the good ole' days

It would be nice to see them scale back on the next album and kind of rediscover their sound but there is little to no chance that will happen.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Bifrost on Sep 08, 2017, 08:13 PM
This is cool but to be honest, Stef hasn't had a great tone since Self Titled Era... Once he went to 8 strings he started changing his rig to accommodate that added low end and it just never sounded the same, IMO

That Marshall JMP sound on ATF and WP was really their signature tone, with the mid's boosted and very dissonant sounding... ahhh the good ole' days

It would be nice to see them scale back on the next album and kind of rediscover their sound but there is little to no chance that will happen.

Didn't Chino say recently that this is exactly what he wanted to do?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

LOL @ Chino, Abe or anyone else trying to tell Stef to get rid of the 8-strings. I really don't think that's something Stef is gonna budge on.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 11, 2017, 08:57 PM
LOL @ Chino, Abe or anyone else trying to tell Stef to get rid of the 8-strings. I really don't think that's something Stef is gonna budge on.

I don't think he necessarily said that he wanted to get rid of the 8 string, but just that he wanted to have a more scaled back style of song writing.

But really, when will Steph realize that the 8 just sounds bad? Personally, I think the production on DE and KNY is okay, but Gore's is just fucking atrocious. Even though, stylistically, I prefer Gore to either of those albums, the execution was awful. And even though ST was my favorite album from them, the sound and tone on WP is unmatched. A return to the WP era would be a very welcome change (no pun intended).
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

illthrowROCKS@U

9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

That's true. But that's where the dilemma lies. How do they scale back if Stef keeps beefing up his gear?