Around the Fur - The Bends
White Pony - OK Computer
S/T - Amnesiac
Saturday Night Wrist - Hail to the Thief
Diamond Eyes - In Rainbows
Koi No Yokan - The King of Limbs

Eros - Kid A?

Bifrost

its kind of funny to hear someone review an album literally a decade after it came out and treat it like something new... when you think about how far music has come since then and (IMO) how much that album has influenced music... seriously, so many artists, both in the 'metal' scene and the alt rock scene have been pushed by that album, I think its hard to give it the proper respect it deserves but hey maybe I am just being a bit of a Deftones homer... I dont think the reviewer really 'got' the album from what I read, he was more interested in exploring what he envisioned could be the epitome of Nu-metal and I am still not 100% what Nu-Metal really is... the atmosphere and textures that are found on WP, can you find those on any of their contemporaries albums? Staind/SOAD/Korn? its almost laughable to compare... the others may have moments but its like one moment an Album while the Tones have multiple 'chills' like moments a song...

the whole nu-metal thing is really over-blown in my opinion, I mean does Nu-Metal really exist? it seems to me when people try and describe Nu-Metal mostly they end up describing Rap-Metal and I think there is a difference... Deftones and Tool will always stand alone to me, probably best described as Alt-Metal but really they are their own creatures
\OK my rants over...

Jerry_Curls

I always thought of  nu-metal is to metal what emo is to hardcore.

Emo sprung from the hardcore scene, taking it to a new direction and sound, but still had the foundation of hardcore/punk. Nu-metal does the same thing in the mid-90s. Adding electronics, turntables, having more emotion than the harsher sounds of metal. Going a new route, with the same foundation (distortion, shredding, screaming, etc).

..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: Bifrost on Oct 07, 2013, 11:08 PM
its kind of funny to hear someone review an album literally a decade after it came out and treat it like something new... when you think about how far music has come since then and (IMO) how much that album has influenced music... seriously, so many artists, both in the 'metal' scene and the alt rock scene have been pushed by that album, I think its hard to give it the proper respect it deserves but hey maybe I am just being a bit of a Deftones homer... I dont think the reviewer really 'got' the album from what I read, he was more interested in exploring what he envisioned could be the epitome of Nu-metal and I am still not 100% what Nu-Metal really is... the atmosphere and textures that are found on WP, can you find those on any of their contemporaries albums? Staind/SOAD/Korn? its almost laughable to compare... the others may have moments but its like one moment an Album while the Tones have multiple 'chills' like moments a song...

the whole nu-metal thing is really over-blown in my opinion, I mean does Nu-Metal really exist? it seems to me when people try and describe Nu-Metal mostly they end up describing Rap-Metal and I think there is a difference... Deftones and Tool will always stand alone to me, probably best described as Alt-Metal but really they are their own creatures
\OK my rants over...

yeah deftones and tool definitely stand on their own from that so called scene.

but I disagree with "how far music has come." all spectrum of the arts has absolutely disintegrated in this new decade ever since 2000, it actually started in the late 90's but there's still a few gems here and there since the turn of the century. far and few between. the movies, books, entertainment and music has been it's lowest and least creative and special, its overall been straight up weird. music has suffered the most. deftones is one of the only bands I like this century.

everything from '56 to '96 was gold in all genres of music, pure wealth of inspiration.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

Bifrost

when I say how far music has come, I mean in terms of evolution, no one can argue that music has changed, but I dont necessarily mean in terms of a positive progression... but of course taste is subjective