Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Killer Be Killed (Supergroup)

Started by RoyalDeftonicBoy, Oct 23, 2013, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Killer Be Killed is a Brazilian-American supergroup formed by The Dillinger Escape Plan vocalist Greg Puciato and Soulfly frontman Max Cavalera in early 2011. The band had slowly been working on a lineup and material before announcing its name in October 2013,[1] along with their signing to Nuclear Blast Records.[2] Its début album is set for release in mid-2014.

The complete band is:

Greg Puciato - lead vocals (2011–present)
Max Cavalera - guitar, vocals (2011–present)   
Troy Sanders - bass guitar, vocals (2012–present)
Dave Elitch - drums, percussion (2012–present)

So what you guys think?
I think this could be good if only Greg and Brent write actual lyrics and Max as an extra screamer and putting some riffs because his lyrical skill is really bad, even as an old Soulfly fan I think his lyrics are getting worse. I hope to hear material of this project around the beginning of the year :D

DeftonesNZ

For some reason I think this won't turn out so good, I get the feeling the songs will be really messy and sort of all of over the place, I just don't think it will work out well considering the people involved, they're good with their own bands but I don't think they will be able to move out of their comfort zone to find a common sound between them, I think what will happen is each person will just do what they're used to and the end result will be really incohesive as a result, this is all just a gut feeling though.

tarkil

Interesting lineup... I would have doubts too, but would still be very interested / curious about what these guys could come up with.

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Jacob

Supergroups these days usually turn out to be shit so I'm not keeping my hopes up. But it's an interesting line-up, and Troy Sanders is pretty much the main reason I like Mastodon, so I'm definitely curious to see what it will sound like.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

I'm very interested in this...mainly because of Greg and Troy.

Have any songs been released yet?

Hank

Greg tries too hard in his own band sometimes

who knows how this will turn out

theis

Quote from: Hank on Oct 24, 2013, 04:38 PM
Greg tries too hard in his own band sometimes

How?

He has a fantastic voice/range and is an awesome live performer.

Hank

not going to argue with any of those points . To me it just seems he does stress too much (especially live) and ends up sounding like it doesn't come off that natural at times. I got to see DEP twice on their last run and yea ...great shows but too much at some times..thats all I meant.

last album was def. their best and it seems they get better with each one.

theis

Yeah ok, fair enough.

Saw them live for the second time a week ago and it blew my brains out.

I even got to scream along, with Greg, in Farewell, Mona Lisa.

That's my head he's holding his hand around. :D What an awesome moment.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

That is fucking epic Theis !!!! :D

theis

Yeah it was beyond awesome!

Here's the first pic of the band rehearsing:

Quote"It's a bit of SABBATH-y doom, a bit of thrash, a bit of hardcore and punk," Puciato explains, searching for the right words to describe something defiantly unique.

"This is a very special project. It's a one of a kind thing, with a lot of potential," asserts Cavalera. "The album is a mix of heavy, fast and melodic songs."

Featuring lead vocal contributions and lyrics from Puciato, Cavalera and Sanders, the aggressive assemblage of songs run the gamut from crowd-inciting brutality and jagged basement show style carnage to melodic, off-kilter hooks. Sanders jokingly described the band as "a perfect blend of a legend, a freak, a beast and a wookie."

It's all delivered through a prism of metal history conjuring the raw aggression of SEPULTURA's earliest rumblings, together with the progressively esoteric shamanistic approach of MASTODON and just a hint of the dissonance of THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN. It's a set of songs with more traditional structure than most of them are known to perform, with a drum performance from a master of precision, power and groove.

"I love the idea of Greg, Troy and I singing together, with David Elitch's amazing drumming," says Cavalera. "Being a part of this is something quite different for me."

"There would be no point in doing this if it sounded the same as our other bands," notes Puciato. "Of any of our bands, it sounds the furthest away from mine, mainly because DILLINGER is [guitarist/founder] Ben [Weinman]'s expression, musically."

Killer Be Killed's debut album will be out next year on Nuclear Blast Entertainment.

Excited to hear some tunes!

deftones47

Soulfly, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, and The Mars Volta...

I'm extremely excited for this, considering I love all four of those bands! I gotta say, this will be the best supergroup since Them Crooked Vultures!

FlyingPiranha

I wish they'd put out a song from it already. Really curious to get some kind of idea how this'll all sound.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Diplo

DeftonesNZ

Wow this is disapointing so generic and almost cheesy at points,the instrumentals are uninspired and the lyrics from that first song sound like they're from a cheesy Killswitch Engage ballad.

deftjess

yea im not feeling it , maybe others songs are better

N0S3BLEED976

Greg's voice is the best thing this has to offer, the rest is pretty generic in ny humble opinion. I've never been a fan of Max Cavalera and his riffs and vocal input in those songs are just disappointingly ordinary and dull. Maybe I shouldn't have expected something experimental and comepletely insane, just because Greg is in it.

theis

I love it.

Especially "Face Down".