Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What do we owe to Nick rackulewicz? (i'll never remember its surname properly)

Started by Deftones-argentina, Oct 26, 2013, 03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deftones-argentina

While truly controversial for some old-school fans, in my opinion Nick brought a lot of new stuff to the deftones table. That includes:

_more complex and varied keyboard sounds
_Guitar pedals into steph & Chino's life (I mean, have you seen a chorus pedal used before diamond eyes? or a lo of other stuff)
_a productive work/writing/recording ethic.
_more effects and panning tricks
_chino singing in key on the record again.
_some weird drum samples (Enthombed, What happened to you?)

Well, I think you got the point of this.

DeftonesNZ

I can't  really credit pedals to Nick as White Pony showed Steph was already using a wide range of effects and I'm not sure how much of the other things like drum samples ,keyboard sounds and Chino's key can be put down to him I think those things could just be progression by Frank, Abe and Chino but I think the most important one is definitely thanks to Nick and that's the work ethic thing I think even if they did go back to Terry they'd carry that on, I honestly think Terry's better at capturing that Deftones magic into tracks but Nick really helped them find a more productive way of making albums so he's been hugely beneficial aswell, can't wait till the next album with Terry should be awesome it will have the Terry Date/Deftones magic without the long wait of the past collaborations.

kurtone

I'd say work ethic. I'd like to see them carry on with the new work ethic with a different producer.

therealdaebat

We owe the second wind I suppose.  Diamond Eyes was a fantastic album and KNY was pretty good.  I still think their first four albums were better but I won't go into that circlejerk.
---------------------------------------------------------------
-DAEBAT

Dictated Not Read

http://reddit.com/r/deftones

Caín

people are people

I agree with therealdaebat and Abe Cunningham is one of those drummers that you gain more and more respect for as you learn his songs.
He really has a gift for supporting the mood of the song with his dynamic drumming, and for putting a lot of thought into the writing and composition of each song. The drumsound on CMND/CTRL is brilliant, in my opinion, and really show how Abe is able to think outside of the box with his drumming, as always.

Bifrost

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Oct 26, 2013, 03:51 AM
I can't  really credit pedals to Nick as White Pony showed Steph was already using a wide range of effects and I'm not sure how much of the other things like drum samples ,keyboard sounds and Chino's key can be put down to him I think those things could just be progression by Frank, Abe and Chino but I think the most important one is definitely thanks to Nick and that's the work ethic thing I think even if they did go back to Terry they'd carry that on, I honestly think Terry's better at capturing that Deftones magic into tracks but Nick really helped them find a more productive way of making albums so he's been hugely beneficial aswell, can't wait till the next album with Terry should be awesome it will have the Terry Date/Deftones magic without the long wait of the past collaborations.

if they do ever go back and finish Eros it would be cool to get Terry involved again and re-capture that pre-SNW sound and mood...

rainnyx4

Definitely their work ethic.  Though it seemed like they might have finally gotten around to working together as a team again during the Eros era.  S/T and SNW were lazy and disjointed respectively due to their inability to sit in a room as one and really pen things as a unit.  If they can keep their unified and ambitious attitude going, I'd like them to go back to Terry Date because he's been the best so far at actually recording their sound.  Like others have mentioned, Abe's drums haven't sounded nearly as huge since they stopped working with him.  But if Date can't keep them motivated, I'd rather they stick with Rasculenicz.  I'll sacrifice the quality of sound for superior compositions.

E-Money

I enjoy all of their records but the Terry Date sound is just the best... The guitars on WP and Abe's drums were the absolute shit.  Cant be topped.  Hope we get another Terry record one day.   

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: E-Money on Oct 30, 2013, 07:25 AM
I enjoy all of their records but the Terry Date sound is just the best... The guitars on WP and Abe's drums were the absolute shit.  Cant be topped.  Hope we get another Terry record one day.
Especially that snare tone he gets mmmmmm... dat snare