Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

deftones vs korn

Started by Northcal, Nov 23, 2013, 05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwerveCityUSA

cmon deftones fans. expand your musical horizons. say deftones vs Depeche mode, or a comparable, similar sounding band like that.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DeftonesNZ

What? Korn and Deftones are alot more comparable than Deftones and Depeche Mode, they've ended up really different but they came up at the same time and toured together lots and had the same basic elements of heavy guitars, groovy drum and bass playing and the incorporation of a DJ, Depeche Mode on the other hand is a Nu-Wave band from another decade, whilst Depeche Mode and other similair bands like The Cure are awesome and have definitely influenced Deftones they are not comparable because they do completely different things musically and are only really similair in artistic spirit.

Northcal

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Dec 29, 2013, 03:08 AM
What? Korn and Deftones are alot more comparable than Deftones and Depeche Mode, they've ended up really different but they came up at the same time and toured together lots and had the same basic elements of heavy guitars, groovy drum and bass playing and the incorporation of a DJ, Depeche Mode on the other hand is a Nu-Wave band from another decade, whilst Depeche Mode and other similair bands like The Cure are awesome and have definitely influenced Deftones they are not comparable because they do completely different things musically and are only really similair in artistic spirit.
yea wat the homie said!! Northern Cali BayArea707/209

Northcal

seriously thou wat other bands from the 90s are still around that are finishing their career wit class?? Give me sum names people??Old school def fans might not like the last 3 records,but they are very descent albums!! 8)

SwerveCityUSA

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Dec 29, 2013, 03:08 AM

your opinions are as dry as your personality. its not like you actually listen to the music anyway. because if you did you'd be singing an entirely different tune.
I'm bringing it in with style myself you know it is with ease no sweat

DeftonesNZ

Just get fucked mate you said something absurd and I pointed out it made no sense and really don't bother starting with the whole "you're not listening properly only I am obviously hearing it the right way" bullshit again I have seen you do this many times now and sorry princess despite what you believe you don't have magical ears, I don't think I'm the only one who disregards the majority of what you say because your biggest argument is others just can't listen properly, it's just condescending bullshit you constantly provide no real reasons for your views, you made a post with no real logic and I replied not by insulting you but by pointing out the larger number of paralells between Korn  and Deftones compared to Deftones and Depeche Mode and instead of making any attempt at forming an intelligent reply you just went at me personally, you've really got some growing up to do.

darkjuice

Actually, I have a completely different opinion than almost everybody on this thread. I feel that in regards to which is better by me, it would be Korn, Incubus and finally Deftones. I only really liked White Pony. I love all of the Korn albums to this day (yes, even the dubstep one). People always complain about the way Korn "sells out" and then they bring up Path of Totality (the dubstep album) not thinking about that key thing that makes Korn, Korn. Right from the start they stated that they would make music that they wanted to make, hell, they pioneered a completely new genre. So what if they have some stupid or contradictory songs? Name me one artist or band that doesn't. I bet if you listen to Deftones close enough, you'll find some stupid or non nonsensical lines (ie; most of White Pony lol). I also happen to love Jon Davis' voice, and find Chinos' vox to be quite whiny, but I would have to say that Brandon (vocalist from Incubus) has both Jon and Chino beat. Thats all, bring on all the hate!!!!

DeftonesNZ

nah no hate you're entitled to your opinion just kind of weird how made the effort to do this

darkjuice

I made the effort because Korn is actually my favorite band, and has been since they came out (I'm 26 now). Everybody was harshing on them and I decided to stand up for them I suppose.

Penicks

nobody cares about your shitty band m8

defsteve

Quote from: darkjuice on Apr 10, 2014, 10:10 AM
I made the effort because Korn is actually my favorite band, and has been since they came out (I'm 26 now). Everybody was harshing on them and I decided to stand up for them I suppose.

You've been into Korn since you were 5 ? That's OG.

Quote from: darkjuice on Apr 07, 2014, 08:47 AM
but I would have to say that Brandon (vocalist from Incubus) has both Jon and Chino beat. Thats all, bring on all the hate!!!!

And here's Brandon killing it with Incubus. Oh wait........

Michelle Williams & Brandon Boyd - Jesus Christ Superstar - GMA 4-4-14
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

theis

Dath

Quote from: defsteve on Apr 10, 2014, 06:48 PM
Quote from: darkjuice on Apr 10, 2014, 10:10 AM

You've been into Korn since you were 5 ? That's OG.

Quote from: darkjuice on Apr 07, 2014, 08:47 AM
but I would have to say that Brandon (vocalist from Incubus) has both Jon and Chino beat. Thats all, bring on all the hate!!!!

And here's Brandon killing it with Incubus. Oh wait........

Michelle Williams & Brandon Boyd - Jesus Christ Superstar - GMA 4-4-14

I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing that...damn.

Diplo

That's fucked up. Why did you make me watch this ?

tarkil

What the fuck.........................

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

darkjuice

Sorry, I don't really know how to quote but I'll answer all the hate mail LOL

Penicks writes: nobody cares about your shitty band m8
- I can't even respond to that because there wasn't any substance to that comment at all. Cool story bro?

defsteve writes: You've been into Korn since you were 5 ? That's OG.
- That would have been clever if you bother to take a look at when their first album came out (1994) as a seven year old at the time, I could not get their demo (1993). My older sister got me into them. By the way, love the username kid; def(tones)steve, now that is clever! hahaha :P

defsteve also writes: And here's Brandon killing it with Incubus. Oh wait........
- Everybody has bad days my friend, I think his other countless performances speak for themselves. What you have done here is find a video depicting a horrible job at whatever he is doing (I didn't actually take the time to watch it). Let us not forget some of the songs from Deftones utilizing shrill, screechy noises that one would think would come from a mouse or rat (about 3:31 into Knife Party).

Having said all that, I like Deftones but I like Korn more. I didn't like everyone bashing my favorite band just as much as you don't like someone bashing Deftones, so I stepped in just like any of you would have stepped in for Deftones.

darkjuice

So, after watching that video, it really doesn't prove that he is not a good singer. I actually haven't a clue as to what you were trying to prove that pertains to the present conversation. I think you may disagree with the content that he may have been presenting, but his voice is still quite uncanny in that video. May you please explain to me why vocally, he's not "killing" it?

DeftonesNZ

just for future that part in knife Party isn't even Chino it's a female singer Rodleen Getsic

cvthedrv

i cant believe this is the only active topic in all this forum, what a fucking shame.

every old time was better, close this shit up.

illthrowROCKS@U

I agree that Brandon has the "better" voice in the classical sense over Chino.  As a full all-around vocalist, however, I prefer Chino.  While one may argue that Brandon has the prettier voice, I prefer the range that Chino has.  His singing, his screaming, and everything else in between.  I feel that Brandon is more of a one-trick pony at this point in his career, and only has one gear. 

Incubus is my second favorite band, after Deftones of course, and I love nearly their entire catalog (especially SCIENCE, holy wow!).  My one gripe is that while Deftones have remained true to form, Incubus has completely taken a turn for the worse.  I can't stand If Not Now, When?, it is nothing like the Incubus I know and love.  In fact, every album I feel has gotten worse and worse, with less and less songs seeming interesting to me.  Meanwhile, although Koi No Yokan doesn't exactly sound like their old material by any means, they still interest me and are not as boring as the new Incubus.

Korn has always been meh to me.  Nothing too special, but not terrible.  I don't know any song off the dubstep album except Get Up, and I do like that song quite a bit.  I like their older stuff off Issues and Follow the Leader, but other than that they never really stood the test of time.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem