Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

White pony single$?

Started by Northcal, Jan 01, 2014, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northcal

Deftones why did u put 3 weak singles in 2000? I'm just talking shit  8)money , then they won a Grammy in 2001 .nice

rainnyx4

High content thread.  Would read again.

Northcal

1.change -June 2000
2.Back to school-March 2001
3.Digital bath-?2001
So Maverick really fucked deftones on those 3 singles ! I wonder if WP would of done much better than 1 ❎platinum if deftones actually pick the singles?

DeftonesNZ

I know Deftones did pick two of those singles Change and Digital Bath, I remember seeing Chino say Maverick wanted them to use some other songs I think RX Queen was one of them because it was sort of typical marketing strategy at the time to hold off the best songs for the album or the very last run of singles so you didn't show your best material too early but the guys thought they might aswell give the album the best possible chance by using Change as the first single as it was in their opinion the best song and they felt the rest of the album was good enough to back it up. Also I don't get the purpose of the thread this singles aren't weak, Change and Digital Bath are probably their two most successful singles, Change especially was massive for them the air play it got was insane for them it got played on radio more than their other stuff ever did plus it was used and still is used in tv and movies,the number of people got into Deftones and bought WP after hearing that song on that radio would be huge.

cvthedrv

i read that maverick wanted 'knife prty' as the first single, but chino battle against it, cause he thought it was weird

DeftonesNZ

Yeah maybe I thought one of them was Rx Queen but the other one could of been Knife Party, that story rings a bell for some reason it's like I remember him talking about how he was worried it would put people off

pinata89

Oddly enough, a song like "Feiticeira" is such a great song and a staple of White Pony...however, I don't think it would have fared well as a single.

In fact, now that I think about it, White Pony is the only album that did not present the opening track as a single (promo or commercial).

endstand

White Pony is a great album, but besides Change it has no singles. Lack of good singles - what's why Deftones never became a really BIG BAND. And I'm glad everything turned out to be this way ;)
hello memory lover, you are mine

Inkblades

Change and Digital Bath are perfect picks for singles, but if they wanted DB to be a bigger hit, maybe they should have made a video that wasn't mostly just tour footage? Something akin to the style of the Change video, perhaps? I really like the DB video, by the way. I'm also surprised RX Queen wasn't a single, because it seems like the type of song that could find a lot of play on alternative rock stations and MTV at the time. I think Maverick Records dropped the ball on that one when they told Deftones there weren't any singles left on WP. Passenger probably would have made for a good single, too.

pinkmaggit69

If they had done a killer video for Passenger with Maynard, as the 3rd Single for White Pony......shit would have gone double platinum.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

pinata89

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Jan 03, 2014, 09:14 PM
If they had done a killer video for Passenger with Maynard, as the 3rd Single for White Pony......shit would have gone double platinum.

Possibly, but it could also have been interpreted as using MJK and his success with Tool as a springboard for exposure.  And the possibility of being released as a THIRD single, I feel the majority of album sales would have been purchased on the premise of the first two.

I love "Passenger," don't get me wrong--definitely one of the stronger songs on the album, even had Chino overdubbed MJK's vox himself...I'm just not a fan of artist collaborations used as singles.  It's a commonly-used tool, if you will, in the rap/hip-hop world that I feel is pretty pathetic.  Every song on one of those albums is "feat." someone, never quite understood that--it's like an artist of that genre is not capable of making a quality song unless it has the grace of another.

Just my opinion. ;)

people are people

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Jan 03, 2014, 09:14 PM

Word! In spite pinata89, well said. And of course "white pony" is not just a good album.
White Pony is a masterpiece. A lot of people point to White Pony as the point where Deftones got rid of that nu metal tag and reinvented the genre,
the singles "Digital Bath" and "Change", was obviously for that effect, and it was a conscious decision by the band, to not abandon their sound,
but to explore a little bit more. The result was an album that's probably the best C.D. to be released since the year 2000 (second only to Tool's "Lateralus")...
The "Back To School" I think everyone knows the story, I would replace the Back To School by Knife Party. In my opinion, Knife Party defines white Pony as no other song can do. But their popularity was strengthened more so by the hit singles Digital Bath, Change (in the house of flies) and Back To School. So of course no one can say that they are bad choices.

Northcal

WP 14yrs old ,fukkkkkk 8)