Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The 9th Deftones Album Thread.

Started by Inkblades, Jan 11, 2014, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Confirmed in two new Chino interviews about Crosses:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140109/ENT04/301090005/

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20140110/chino-moreno-puts-his-faith-in-new-band-crosses

I really wouldn't mind them taking their time with this one. I guess it will come out in 2015?

Penicks

not necessary at this point imo, should focus on his side projects which are infinitely better than the last two deftones albums

ANattyRat

I'd rather see a new Deftones album than a new Palms or Crosses release, so I disagree with the above comment.

Although I'm impatient with new music from bands I love, I wouldn't mind them taking their time. As long as they make an album in a united, positive way, I think it's cool how long they take. I don't think it necessarily improves the music, though. If they're in the zone, they're in the zone.

Capt Snow

I hope we will hear Steph shreddin' and maybe some solo's.

DeftonesNZ

I think the album may be abit more electronic this time around, it's all just speculation of course but I can see Frank having more of a presence, I think it'll be powerchords as usual from Stef and I don't see Sergio doing anything drastically different to usual,Abe will be tight as usual but he might also start incorporating electric drum pads and midi controllers, Chino's a bit of a mystery though I don't know if he will go more upbeat or let out some supressed feelings about Chi's death and make some real dark stuff, it's hard to tell but I'd say Chi's death will influence the music in some way regardless but it could be possible they have some darker feelings that may come out in the studio, even though they say Chi's in a better place it's pretty common for people who have lost someone in that fashion to sort of get bitter about why it had to happen and the unfairness of it all, it could be one of those cases where they all get back together in the studio and the reality hits that Chi's never coming back and all emotions just come out, it's like how when someone dies you can be fine but then when the first birthday or christmas comes around when their not there it really hits you, there must be a certain sad finality about doing an album now Chi's gone.

cvthedrv

to me, KNY was a sad farewell, i dont knot if i could be interested in something more.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: cvthedrv on Jan 12, 2014, 02:31 PM
to me, KNY was a sad farewell, i dont knot if i could be interested in something more.
I know to some people it may seem like they have gone down hill but if that was me I still wouldn't want them to stop making music i'd rather have some chance to hear some new stuff I like than no chance at all, end of the day if you don't like it theres no harm just go thats not for me and listen to the stuff you prefer but if you do like the new stuff it's great, It can be different for some bands but I don't think deftones are embarassing themselves or killing their legacy like some bands do it's just a new direction that doesn't click with some of the old audience.

sing blue silver

Quote from: Capt Snow on Jan 12, 2014, 10:40 AM

No thanks.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
Quote from: Capt Snow on Jan 12, 2014, 10:40 AM

No thanks.
Not a fan of the idead either I always liked Stefs simple style, he was the one who made me actually get a guitar I'd always wanted to play but was intimated by hendrix like players but Stef proved I could still make awesome music without the complex stuff, all that said I wouldn't care if he went back to some faster Adrenaline style riffs.

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jan 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
I think the album may be abit more electronic this time around, it's all just speculation of course but I can see Frank having more of a presence, I think it'll be powerchords as usual from Stef and I don't see Sergio doing anything drastically different to usual,Abe will be tight as usual but he might also start incorporating electric drum pads and midi controllers, Chino's a bit of a mystery though I don't know if he will go more upbeat or let out some supressed feelings about Chi's death and make some real dark stuff, it's hard to tell but I'd say Chi's death will influence the music in some way regardless but it could be possible they have some darker feelings that may come out in the studio, even though they say Chi's in a better place it's pretty common for people who have lost someone in that fashion to sort of get bitter about why it had to happen and the unfairness of it all, it could be one of those cases where they all get back together in the studio and the reality hits that Chi's never coming back and all emotions just come out, it's like how when someone dies you can be fine but then when the first birthday or christmas comes around when their not there it really hits you, there must be a certain sad finality about doing an album now Chi's gone.

sounds good. Personally, I see this next album most comparable to SNW, the mixing of numerous different ideals, themes and sounds, minus the tension within the band, however. they went happy and upbeat in Diamond Eyes, a little more experimental and spacey in KNY, so i guess if not a mixture then i wouldn't really know what to expect.

sing blue silver

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens. I can't predict any sort of direction I see them going currently. Sadly the days of daring stylistic changes from album to album seem to be gone as KNY wasn't a huge departure from DE. I see it being a continuation of KNY with the intros and outros and spacier aesthetics. Either way with more Palms music in the works, Crosses going strong, Team Sleep (or a project involving members of) starting to re-emerge and new Deftones, we'll have a whole lot of new music to discuss in the coming 2 years or so.

Jesus2Chino

By new music to discuss you mean new music to relentlessly barrage and shame each other over, right? Lol, long live SharingLungs :P!

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

pinkmaggit69

Chino lives in Oregon, now?  Anyone know where?  I live in Portland.

Drinks won't stain this birth!

illthrowROCKS@U

Why wouldn't you want a new Deftones album?  Even if you don't like the whole thing, every one of them has at least a few new tracks to add to their "best of" collection.  KNY, while far from their best album, had Rosemary and Poltergeist on it and both are amazing.  While I liked DE even less than KNY, and probably would never choose to listen to 976-Evil or This Place Is Death, you better believe I crank that shit up when Royal or Rocket Skates come on.  I personally loved SNW, but most people don't... and eve so I bet we could all name at least 2 badass songs from that album (I mean come on.. Riviere?  Ratsx3??).  There's even crazy people who don't much care for the Self Titled (mostly White Pony fanboys), but I bet they'll jam to at least Hexagram or Bloody Cape.

Point is, even if the album doesn't stack up to their best material.. all I need at 2 awesome songs to make a Deftones album worth it for me.  That, and it's still better than 90% of the shit new bands put out.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

DeftonesNZ

exactly that's why I don't really worry about Deftones making new albums because I know that what ever they do I will like atleast a couple of the songs.

Sett

I honestly don't believe that Deftones could pull out an album which I won't like. None of the released albums was a let down for me, I genuinely love each one of them.

pinata89

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jan 13, 2014, 05:46 AM
Why wouldn't you want a new Deftones album?  Even if you don't like the whole thing, every one of them has at least a few new tracks to add to their "best of" collection.  KNY, while far from their best album, had Rosemary and Poltergeist on it and both are amazing.  While I liked DE even less than KNY, and probably would never choose to listen to 976-Evil or This Place Is Death, you better believe I crank that shit up when Royal or Rocket Skates come on.  I personally loved SNW, but most people don't... and eve so I bet we could all name at least 2 badass songs from that album (I mean come on.. Riviere?  Ratsx3??).  There's even crazy people who don't much care for the Self Titled (mostly White Pony fanboys), but I bet they'll jam to at least Hexagram or Bloody Cape.

Point is, even if the album doesn't stack up to their best material.. all I need at 2 awesome songs to make a Deftones album worth it for me.  That, and it's still better than 90% of the shit new bands put out.

2 Songs?  Why not put out an EP then?  It's when bands start settling for 2 solid songs and a handful of crap ones that I completely lose interest.  A good example of this (different style, for sure) is Muse.  I stopped listening to them after The Origin of Symmetry for this very reason.  If you are going to put out an album, your fan-base (your REAL fan-base) would appreciate the fact that you aren't just trying to make a dollar but that you are truly using music as a means to creating art.

If 2 songs is all that "stand out" on an album, I'm okay with that.  However, I'd prefer the rest of the songs to at least by memorable (to me, at least) in their own right.  There are VERY few Deftones songs that I can just write off and forget.

DeftonesNZ

I think Deftones are always aiming for a whole album of solid songs, illThrowRocks was just saying even if he only gets a few songs he likes from it then it hasn't been a waste of time, with Deftones aswell the songs that don't click aren't neccesarily bad in the normal sense because they have a funny way of clicking with different people, for the songs that aren't clicking with you there are still people who think those tracks are amazing.

illthrowROCKS@U

NZ has it right. I wasn't saying I only like 2 songs off the albums. I actually rather liked KNY,though it's not my favorite. I was putting things into perspective for those who say that they don't like the new direction of music. Basically, we can all find at least a couple songs we like, even if we don't care for the whole thing. I don't see Deftones as a band that produces much "filler," but not everything clicks with us all. And what doesn't click with us will click with other fans, even bringing in a new generation of Tones fans into the fold (like my 15 year old nephew) who inevitably dig deeper and discover their older albums as well.

I don't think them continuing has or will tarnish their legacy, I say keep the good music coming.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pinata89

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jan 14, 2014, 04:36 PM
NZ has it right. I wasn't saying I only like 2 songs off the albums. I actually rather liked KNY,though it's not my favorite. I was putting things into perspective for those who say that they don't like the new direction of music. Basically, we can all find at least a couple songs we like, even if we don't care for the whole thing. I don't see Deftones as a band that produces much "filler," but not everything clicks with us all. And what doesn't click with us will click with other fans, even bringing in a new generation of Tones fans into the fold (like my 15 year old nephew) who inevitably dig deeper and discover their older albums as well.

I don't think them continuing has or will tarnish their legacy, I say keep the good music coming.

Gotcha.  Sustained.

The albums post-Chi have definitely been "different" than past albums,...maybe a little bit more tangible than the rest.  But this is not necessarily a bad thing--like you said, this likely brings in a new generation of fans and makes the Deftones fanbase stronger.

And agreed; the members of this band have the skill and vision to put out material with enough quality to even satisfy their old fans....so I'm with you, they will continue to make great music and I trust them.