Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Steph Vs Chino

Started by mrpelon94, Mar 03, 2014, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpelon94

I know this will get blocked?.....but seeing old interviews it looked like steph was pissed off at chino because he wanted to play guitar and step felt he was stepping over boundaries?......idk....i barely see them in interviews and i hope this doesn't become a problem in the future?...

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Mar 03, 2014, 01:05 PM
I know this will get blocked?.....but seeing old interviews it looked like steph was pissed off at chino because he wanted to play guitar and step felt he was stepping over boundaries?......idk....i barely see them in interviews and i hope this doesn't become a problem in the future?...

this was only an issue during the self titled/SNW eras. after that it went away

mrpelon94

Yea and he also stated that chino needed to work more on his vocals than guitar?...crazy..I see now how they could've broken up?

normsteez

become a problem in the future? dude.........
May 28, 2000 HFSTIVAL
May 4, 2003 9:30 Club
Oct. 20, 2004 9:30 Club
March 2, 2006 9:30 Club
Dec. 4, 2006 9:30 Club
June 4, 2007 9:30 Club
September 2, 2010 Norva
May 15, 2011 Sonar
May 16, 2011 Sonar
October 26, 2012 Rams Head Live

http://normsteez.tumblr.com/

Romain

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Mar 03, 2014, 01:20 PM

Not exactly. During the White Pony process, they kept fighting about which one could come up with the best riff. Thing is that each of them kept coming up with something better to outdo the other, so in the end it gave a brilliant record, but it became a problem very fast as far as I know. I'm not entirely sure it "went" away after SNW. Chino scrapped so many demos (Finger of Death for instance), he produced the album himself and made it more the way HE wanted, so in the end, he "won", so you could say. So, in my opinion, it's more likely that Steph became "biased" and started to complain way less. I could be totally wrong, but it would make sense, I think.

Teknoman

Quote from: Romain on Mar 03, 2014, 04:50 PM

Not exactly. During the White Pony process, they kept fighting about which one could come up with the better rip. Thing is that each of them kept coming with something better to outdo the other, so in the end it gave a brilliant record, but it became a problem very fast as far as I know. I'm not entirely sure it "went" away after SNW. Chino scrapped so many demos (Finger of Death for instance), he produced the album himself and made him more the way HE wanted, so in the end, he "won", so you could say. So, in my opinion, it's more likely that Steph became "biased" and started to complain way less. I could be totally wrong, but it would make sense, I think.

Accordingly to Steph there is some truth in what you say...

Songwriting Battles with Deftones' Stephen Carpenter Guitarist Magazine

I make music too

DeftonesNZ

I don't think it was a jealously thing in that Steph felt Chino was stealing his job i think his main issue was that Chino wouldn't do his vocals aswell so it was like why when you finally come to do work doyou waste the little time you have in the studio fucking around on guitar? I've heard him say he doesn't mind Chino playing aswell because they have different styles Chino plays very soundscapey lead stuff and Steph lays down the think rythym and he said they merge together naturally and they don't find themselves having to go out of their way to fit one another Stephs problem used to be that when he had done his part Chino would go in and instead of working on vocals would start playing around with everyone elses parts and the songs composition.

cvthedrv

i've always thought that there is a hard ego fight between them, and if deftones comes to an end will be because of that.

by the way, i think stef is right and chino should worry about his poor vocal range insted of adding things.

Northcal

Quote from: cvthedrv on Mar 04, 2014, 02:59 AM
i've always thought that there is a hard ego fight between them, and if deftones comes to an end will be because of that.

by the way, i think stef is right and chino should worry about his poor vocal range insted of adding things.
yup

Freedomsoldier17

Not exactly. During the White Pony process, they kept fighting about which one could come up with the best riff. Thing is that each of them kept coming up with something better to outdo the other, so in the end it gave a brilliant record, but it became a problem very fast as far as I know. I'm not entirely sure it "went" away after SNW. Chino scrapped so many demos (Finger of Death for instance), he produced the album himself and made it more the way HE wanted, so in the end, he "won", so you could say. So, in my opinion, it's more likely that Steph became "biased" and started to complain way less. I could be totally wrong, but it would make sense, I think.

rip SNW demos :(

deftjess

that why i like that they are writing right now without Chino,so steph can be more himself and relax without chino

mrpelon94

yea but chino is the frontman and might come in a do the same?.......idk i just wish they would release EROS or something...DEFTONES POR VIDA!

Northcal

I wish we could see the band jamming without chino,just seeing them fukk around the studio wit no cares in the world!

wheresmysnare

I would have used to say chino every day, until he picked up a guitar and meddled with a winning formula. I like what chino does with his side projects but it's consistently and increasingly creeped into deftones material.

Ideally I would like Chino to drop the guitar and I would like stef to put the breaks on the down tuning. For me Stef invented a unique airy rasping guitar sound for the deftones on white pony, then left it all to chase after a messugah style sound - much to my dismay.

Oh and while im here Abe should also tighten his snare back up.

buddyboy101

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Mar 06, 2014, 06:17 PM
Ideally I would like Chino to drop the guitar and I would like stef to put the breaks on the down tuning. For me Stef invented a unique airy rasping guitar sound for the deftones on white pony, then left it all to chase after a messugah style sound - much to my dismay.

Agreed.  but change your sig pic, man.

theataraxian

Totally relevant to this -- I just so happened to see this video today where Chino talks about sort of "competing" back and forth during the White Pony era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZbzO5MYJo&t=14m09s
death is the standard breach for a complex prize

nicklav

I would have used to say chino every day, until he picked up a guitar and meddled with a winning formula. I like what chino does with his side projects but it's consistently and increasingly creeped into deftones material.

I think that has more to do with not have Terry Date than anything Abe is or isn't doing.

deftones86

I wouldn't say chino should drop the guitar completely, but stef should really go back to a 6 and drop that bitch to C. His tone is so muddy these days. On S/T the 7 was OK because he still had that top end bite. But now it just doesn't cut the same. That's where I think they have lost most of their original sound.  That and Deftones started out as Stefs band and then it became chinos after the 90's and Stef has taken a step back and let him run the show. Don't get me wrong I really like Team Sleep and Crosses but those first 3 albums were so much more. But we all know none of our opinions matter and the will most likely will have another Diamond no yokeyes album which is OK I'll buy it listen to it for a month and then Listen to Around the fur. Maybe I'm wrong. Unlikely but possible

DeftonesNZ

I can see what you mean about stefs tone being muddy, on good speakers and headphones it's more defined but on most things it really does get lost in the mix the low E just sort of sinks into mud, I don't think he needs to go back to a 6 though he just needs to use more of the higher register the 8 offers I don't beleive it's Chino taking over either I think as stef has tuned lower he has become just less prominent in the mix because he's in that bass territory so his parts don't cut through as much, I would really love to see him play more geniune riffs on the high strings he does use them occasionally but tends to just ring them out open like in Risk and Gauze, I think it would be great to hear him use those strings more as it would give those low heavy chords real impact with the contrast it creates, I think instead of the constant chugging  style like you hear in rosemary he could first set up some contrast by playing more cutting high riffs and then he could come in really heavy with the low strings I think it would mean that when he does use the low strings they have a geniune weight and impact to them almost like how at the end of beware it sounds so much heavier because the low range isn't persistent throughout the song.

deftoneseba

When I met them two years ago, I first talk to Stef. I was wearing my Sol Invicto shirt, we were talking about that and Sol Invicto status and then he told me "I don't know why everybody follows Chino with everything he does. I know he is the singer and most of the times the singers have 'more fans', but I started this band".

A few minutes later, I met Chino and while I was talking to him, Stef was a couple of meters away with his cellphone, and everytime Chino said something to him, he replied indifferent.

Just saying...
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.