Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Steph Vs Chino

Started by mrpelon94, Mar 03, 2014, 03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

III

I'm pretty sure being in a band and having people yell one of the members name for like 20 years would get old pretty quick. I honestly don't blame any of them for ever being kinda pissed at each other. But you can't expect them to be sunshine and rainbows all day everyday. Especially with the kind of band they are.

deftoneseba

Quote from: III on Mar 10, 2014, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty sure being in a band and having people yell one of the members name for like 20 years would get old pretty quick. I honestly don't blame any of them for ever being kinda pissed at each other. But you can't expect them to be sunshine and rainbows all day everyday. Especially with the kind of band they are.
I totally agree, I was just adding my personal experience to the thread.
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.

pinata89

Quote from: deftoneseba on Mar 10, 2014, 09:01 PM
When I met them two years ago, I first talk to Stef. I was wearing my Sol Invicto shirt, we were talking about that and Sol Invicto status and then he told me "I don't know why everybody follows Chino with everything he does. I know he is the singer and most of the times the singers have 'more fans', but I started this band".

A few minutes later, I met Chino and while I was talking to him, Stef was a couple of meters away with his cellphone, and everytime Chino said something to him, he replied indifferent.

Just saying...

Interesting.  But true: the Deftones would not be around if it were not for Steph.  At the same time, the Deftones would not be who they are without Chino's unique style.  It's a vicious circle.  :-\

bloody_liver

Quote from: pinata89 on Mar 13, 2014, 02:51 AM
When I met them two years ago, I first talk to Stef. I was wearing my Sol Invicto shirt, we were talking about that and Sol Invicto status and then he told me "I don't know why everybody follows Chino with everything he does. I know he is the singer and most of the times the singers have 'more fans', but I started this band".

A few minutes later, I met Chino and while I was talking to him, Stef was a couple of meters away with his cellphone, and everytime Chino said something to him, he replied indifferent.

Just saying...

Interesting.  But true: the Deftones would not be around if it were not for Steph.  At the same time, the Deftones would not be who they are without Chino's unique style.  It's a vicious circle.  :-\

I remember quite vividly that from 2003-2005 which traversed Self Titled and Team Sleep, that when the show started it was one big crowd roar for "CHINO!!!!!" It wasn't until they broke up and reformed that the crowd went wild for "DEFTONES!!!!" again.

To his credit, Mr. Moreno has humbled himself in interviews. His ego doesn't extend to the point that he defines what the band is. In fact, with respect to how much Deftones is a unit he compared their longevity to Smashing Pumpkins in one interview saying "Smashing Pumpkins stopped being good when they decided to name the band Billy Corgan" and I think that says a lot to Chino's self-effacing persona.

Nonetheless, if Deftones have a persona than it's mostly identified by Chino. But the foundation is Steph. He is a rock god whose fortune in life to get 15 grand in an out-of-court settlement as a teenager who practically bought ALL the gear that he would need to MAKE a band. The story never begins with Chino starting the band. It starts with Stephen being the fuckin' boss don recruiting the most talented and eclectic people in his network. Total intuition and dedication. I mean, fuck, in the studio who do you see that's always ready to play? Steph. He's a total rock. If there's any misconception of how massive his presence in the band to the main stream is, it can only be because he doesn't placate the audience by dancing around. Since Chino dances and dances well, he steals the show and becomes the face of the band every time.

Northcal

Quote from: bloody_liver on Apr 01, 2014, 05:56 PM

Just saying...

I remember quite vividly that from 2003-2005 which traversed Self Titled and Team Sleep, that when the show started it was one big crowd roar for "CHINO!!!!!" It wasn't until they broke up and reformed that the crowd went wild for "DEFTONES!!!!" again.

To his credit, Mr. Moreno has humbled himself in interviews. His ego doesn't extend to the point that he defines what the band is. In fact, with respect to how much Deftones is a unit he compared their longevity to Smashing Pumpkins in one interview saying "Smashing Pumpkins stopped being good when they decided to name the band Billy Corgan" and I think that says a lot to Chino's self-effacing persona.

Nonetheless, if Deftones have a persona than it's mostly identified by Chino. But the foundation is Steph. He is a rock god whose fortune in life to get 15 grand in an out-of-court settlement as a teenager who practically bought ALL the gear that he would need to MAKE a band. The story never begins with Chino starting the band. It starts with Stephen being the fuckin' boss don recruiting the most talented and eclectic people in his network. Total intuition and dedication. I mean, fuck, in the studio who do you see that's always ready to play? Steph. He's a total rock. If there's any misconception of how massive his presence in the band to the main stream is, it can only be because he doesn't placate the audience by dancing around. Since Chino dances and dances well, he steals the show and becomes the face of the band every time.w

He ain't gonna be dancing on next deftones tour,dude like 230 pounds,lol

defTHE1s

Just saying...

Total intuition and dedication. I mean, fuck, in the studio who do you see that's always ready to play? Steph. He's a total rock.
THIS.

Also, it's a collaborative way to do things. Deftones would not be here if it were not for Steph, and Deftones would not be who tehey are without CHino's unique style. More than a vicious circle, I'd call it a... co-dependendence? Can't recall the right word right now, but you get the point.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

Lucky_Me

As short a time as I've been with Deftones, I can only say that as much as they are said to have fought, Deftones both needs them and both of them play their part in making Deftones' unique sound and appearance. Every story has a bunch of different roles, so not everyone can (or would like to) be the main character. Like a good meal is not just about presentation, but also of the flavours coming together, even if at first they would seem to clash. In fact, conflicting flavors can be extra tasty together.
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

Penicks

stef's lazy riffs of the past 2 albums can easily be replaced by a 13 year old teenager, chongo's voice not so much

from_musings

Total intuition and dedication. I mean, fuck, in the studio who do you see that's always ready to play? Steph.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=lDw83qCe8nA&p=n#/120;138

godin

In my opinion, a great portion of Deftones' unique and amazing sound comes from the conflict between Stephen and Chino's styles. And while a lot of that is due to differing musical influenes, interests, genres, etc.. A shit ton of a bands vibe comes from personality conflicts too. And this is a great thing for Deftones. Its like a beautiful rollercoaster ride. ups and Downs. or like dating a great girl/guy. There are ups and downs and that is what is necessary for a long lasting, impactful team.
Dingus.