Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ukraine crisis

Started by Crazylegs, Mar 03, 2014, 04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

WTF is going on? Apparently the Russian Black Sea fleet has given an ultimatum to ukranian forces in Crimea to either surrender by 4am local time (in 9 hours), or face an assault.

bright lights, big city

WTF indeed. The whole situation just sounds crazy. What are Putin's motivations to all of a sudden get seriously involved?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

tarkil

Russia doesn't want to get fucked in the ass by US + NATO ?

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

bebo

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 03, 2014, 05:48 PM
WTF indeed. The whole situation just sounds crazy. What are Putin's motivations to all of a sudden get seriously involved?

My understanding is that Russia has a military base in Crimea, and there is also a large population of ethnic russians there as well. I also think that Putin doesn't recognize the interim president and supports Yanukovych, who was ousted and impeached but still claims to be the rightful president despite all that. Yanukovych actually requested military aid from Russia to help restore order/restore him to power after he had to flee, which is what we are presumably seeing now

Quote from: tarkil on Mar 04, 2014, 03:49 AM

Probs not gonna happen because Ukraine is neither part of nato or the EU. Theyre fuq'd

bright lights, big city

Quote from: tarkil on Mar 04, 2014, 03:49 AM
NATO? Do something? Whaaaat

Quote from: bebo on Mar 04, 2014, 05:16 AM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 03, 2014, 05:48 PM

My understanding is that Russia has a military base in Crimea, and there is also a large population of ethnic russians there as well. I also think that Putin doesn't recognize the interim president and supports Yanukovych, who was ousted and impeached but still claims to be the rightful president despite all that. Yanukovych actually requested military aid from Russia to help restore order/restore him to power after he had to flee, which is what we are presumably seeing now
Thanks for the background info. I read that the city of Sevastopol is also a key port for Russia and their navy in the Black Sea.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

digital bath

Putin says, he doesn't want to start a war, but he also doesn't accept that Yanukovych should not be the president anymore, and the way of the deselection is illegal.
Also Yanukovych asked Russia for military help.
Putin says, the people who live on Krim/Crimea should select for the government they want to belong...

But I am very suspicious of Putin, he has often shown that he's just a wolf in sheep's clothing.

black coffee

well I prefer not to fall for our good old western media disinformation on this one. And don't get me wrong, the Russians aren't the good guys either.

But after all, several European countries ( also the one I am a citizen of ) decided to accept the new Ukrainian transitional government  .. a government nobody voted for. They got Tymochenko out of prison and suddenly one of her trusted people is transitional premier ... to me these things don't sound right.
Then she stands on Maidan, pretending to be like everyone else, even though she has millions in swiss bank accounts - why is that? Because when she was president, she basically did all the same things Yanukovich did - getting her family and friends high up into the political and economical power structure.

Ifyou're looking for an interesting read - Putin responding to journalists questions... I am not buying everything he says, but at least I get to hear a second opinion on things besides the usual "Russia is bad".

http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/6763

wheresmysnare

Kerry on Russia: "You just don't invade another country on a completely trumped up pretext"

....lol.

Same as our bullshit politicians, it's like the falklands war and iraq never happened.

It's only the money men who give a shit about Ukraine, they sure as fuck don't care for any humanitarian crisis. I actually hope Russia is allowed to oversee matters I can't stomach the EU and USA meddling in yet another oil producing region.

tarkil

Good to see a different point of view indeed... Am not saying that Russia is the good guy here (unfortunately, there's no good guys in world politics I'm afraid), but I definitely don't believe what USA, NATO & "mainstream medias" are spitting on this topic....

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.