Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

the boys republic studio version or acoustic ?

Started by Northcal, Mar 11, 2014, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northcal

The acoustic version on the  Hawaii DVD fucking kills the studio version ,wat y'all think ??

pinata89

I much prefer the studio version, personally.

Acoustic is good, don't get me wrong.  I just think the studio embraces the mood better.

Penicks

acoustic sounds sweet, studio sound absolutely glorious

Inkblades

Adekhine

I like the acoustic version, but studio version is better.

cvthedrv

Northcal

pinata89

cvthedrv

Northcal

cvthedrv

Cullision

Could someone please upload a high quality version of this on youtube or something? Just like lovers I've never found one.

Freedomsoldier17

The boy's republic is one of those Deftones' songs I'm kind of "meh" about but yeah i'd go with the studio version

deftones47

I prefer studio version. The acoustic version is nice and sweet up until THAT SUDDEN BLAST OF NOISE AT THE END!

Gary A.

Quote from: deftones47 on Mar 22, 2014, 02:26 AM
I prefer studio version. The acoustic version is nice and sweet up until THAT SUDDEN BLAST OF NOISE AT THE END!

Ok. I'm just going to say it, not trolling or anything. But I'm the guy that made the instrumental acoustic version way back when. I was 19 when I made it, I'm 33 now. It was my first experiment with recording software (this program called Vegas, I was too cheap for ProTools) & I was basically just messing around, it was my first experiment with multitracking software. I ended up using the "blast of noise at the end" thing to death on many other recordings, I have a song from years ago called "magnolia grandiflora" that used the same exact trick, I just did some tweaks in Goldwave way back when & voila, a blast of noise at the end.

Eventually I just settled on the idea of just cutting songs off abruptly instead, I guess that's my thing now. Anyone that's on this board that was on the Official Deftones board knows who I am. I was never part of this board. All I'm going to say is I uploaded an unfinished version of The Boy's Republic acoustic back in 2000, and there were a few mixes afterward that included parts that filled in the bridge section with a feedback explosion. The one I found on youtube is missing that part, but I no longer have the other versions, it was 14 years ago. I have Asperger's, so of course everything I do musically is going to be kinda "out there" and geared towards messing with the listener. The riff at the end of that before the feedback explosion was just some riff I was working on at the time that I tacked onto the end, had nothing to do with the song, but it fit. Of course, it was instrumental because I could never find a way to extract the vocals from the original & mix it with this version, especially way back then.

Every once in awhile I still see people talking about it, and I'm always tempted to chime in but figure folks wouldn't believe me. I don't know how detailed I have to get to prove it. Yeah, this is my first post, even less reason to believe a stranger, right? The fact it's in C# rather than C is no mistake, that's how I would tune back then & rather than adjust the tuning of the guitar, I didn't. I'm ashamed of how the guitar was recorded, with a cheap plastic $10 computer mic. I guess you have to start somewhere.

Gary A.

and yes, for the amount of times the subject of the Acoustic has come up over the years, folks end up mentioning the Music in High Places version seamlessly with the aforementioned instrumental version, even though I always know they're talking about 3 versions of this song. Whatever, I'm over it.

Northcal

No love for the acoustic version??its the only deftones acoustic track I like!!lol