Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Overrated albums

Started by Crazylegs, Mar 17, 2014, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazylegs

Do you ever listen to something that you just can't understand the hype for? I do. Sometimes it seems arbitrary to me what albums or releases are just uniformly accepted as a band's/artist's greatest work, or even good at all.

Here's an example from my mind:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!

I find this album to be mediocre when compared to some of their other releases, like Yanqui U.X.O. and Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada.

black coffee

What I often hear from people is that they like the album most that introduced them to a certain band, so when for instance, Lift Yr... is considered to be Godspeed's best, people willl read about it on the internet or in magazines and listen to that album first.
And then theres a probability that its gonna be their favorite. I'm no scientist, but I think there is a correlation.

Crazylegs

I think you're probably right about that, it sounds very reasonable. Still the "fact" that it's overrated remains.

Another album i think is totally overrated is My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. It's nice and all, but fuck me...

kurtone

Anything by the Beatles. I don't get it.

Diplo

Yeah people don't make the difference between the best album and the most famous.
After all it depends on a lot of things, sometimes the album is great at any point, it's an improvement musically, the beginning of a kind of music or something else but you will never understand that just because you have not the same "music history".
It's all about felt and influence.

This makes me think about the transition between Around The Fur and White Pony, both are considered to be the best. I would have liked being here to see this transition.

Not original but for me I think about Red Hot Chili Peppers – Californication

Quote from: kurtone on Mar 18, 2014, 09:59 PM
Anything by the Beatles. I don't get it.
Yeah, I've never understood the craze.

Northcal

Everything linkin park has made after their 1st record!!!!!

theis

I love Pink Floyd, but The Wall is so fucking overrated.

the deft ones

Quote from: Diplo on Mar 18, 2014, 10:42 PM
Yeah people don't make the difference between the best album and the most famous.
After all it depends on a lot of things, sometimes the album is great at any point, it's an improvement musically, the beginning of a kind of music or something else but you will never understand that just because you have not the same "music history".
It's all about felt and influence.

This makes me think about the transition between Around The Fur and White Pony, both are considered to be the best. I would have liked being here to see this transition.

In my opinion (in terms of musical history I was personally present for) the sound-progression between ATF to White Pony is rivaled only by Tool's Undertow > Aenima.

It is for this reason I have an aneurism whenever anyone tries to claim Deftones or Lateralus to be that band's best work.

ben

DeftonesNZ

I'd probably say most of radioheads album, don't get me wrong they're good but people blow them up to ridiculous proportions and then when you actually hear them it's kind of disapointing, I think when you like at Radioheads whole body of work it's amazing but when looking at their albums one by one it's not that amazing.

spirographed

The Black Keys' El CamIno
I thought the one good song was "Little Black Submarine". Everyone else seemed to just looooove the whole album.
"The struggle to free myself from restraints becomes my very shackles." - Meshuggah

Crazylegs

Here's one for the fanboys: Deftones - White Pony

Overrated! There, i said it.

Has a few of their greatest tunes on it, but not a great album by any means. I prefer almost all other deftones releases over it.

lostpilot

Quote from: Crazylegs on Mar 17, 2014, 05:07 PM
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!

I find this album to be mediocre when compared to some of their other releases, like Yanqui U.X.O. and Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada.

dude I'll whip your pretty ass for stating that Lift Yr. Skinny Fists is overrated!

Crazylegs

Give me all you got!
I don't think it's the masterpiece it's made out to be (like i say, especially when compared to Yanqui U.X.O. and slow riot)

deftones86

The Wall for sure. Dark side of the Moon is so much better.
and the Beatles Stupid name and an irrelevant boy band if we are honest about it. all i hear is such great simplistic song writing blah blah  . well if you only know three chords things wont be to complicated. Hey Jude fuck the Beatles

Vesanic

@Crazylegs : It's quite overpraised but it's still far from subpar. Not saying you said that, but y'know. Anyway F infinity beats them all imo.

Crazylegs

Quote from: deftones86 on Apr 19, 2015, 01:56 AM
and the Beatles Stupid name and an irrelevant boy band if we are honest about it. all i hear is such great simplistic song writing blah blah  . well if you only know three chords things wont be to complicated. Hey Jude fuck the Beatles
Dark side, Wish you were here, Meddle, Animals, they're all better than the wall, in my opinion.

I'm curious as to how much of the beatles you've listened to though, because your description is just plain false. Their catalogue is so immense and diverse. From the way you phrased your post, i'm guessing you're writing under the influence and not thinking straight ;)

Quote from: MrVesanique on Apr 19, 2015, 02:08 AM
@Crazylegs : It's quite overpraised but it's still far from subpar. Not saying you said that, but y'know. Anyway F infinity beats them all imo.
Overpraised is definitely a better term here.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah the Wall has a few really great songs but alot of that album only really worked in the movie and doesn't stand up as a audio only piece.

deftones86

Yeah the Wall has a few really great songs but alot of that album only really worked in the movie and doesn't stand up as a audio only piece.

haha yes i was above the influence

Lucky_Me

The Wall, as a movie, is a masterpiece, but honestly, I haven't been listening to Pink Floyd so much... With sunny weather, I strongly prefer more danceable music. 8) I do love Paul McCartney's 'We All Stand Together', though, but merely because it was geniusly embedded in a Rupert Bear episode. Don't you agree that film can make a song more interesting? Like the songs that were used in Muppet Show episodes? I'm a huge fan of the old Muppets and I love many of their adaptions of certain pop songs. The same goes for Art Garfunkel's 'Bright Eyes' and its connection to Watership Down, or even the finale from Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony and the intro to the movie 'Babe'. Memories can make music so much better or worse.

Alright, ontopic: The Hunting Party by Linkin Park. (I'm a huge fan, still.) It's said to be a masterpiece, but I'm not feeling the vibe. I feel that it's a desperate attempt to bring back a genre that's been dead for years, just to please some old fans. I have no idea whether this was a cash cow, but I strongly prefer Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns and Living Things for their vibe and Hybrid Theory (EP) and Meteora for the sake of nostalgia. Sorry for the long post, guys. ::)
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.