Deftones - Smile (Eros)

Started by Inkblades, Apr 13, 2014, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bewareofrats

"Smile
You're born again"

"You want go for a ride?
It's over"

Ok, these lines are starting to convince me that these vocals/lyrics were done after Chi's death.  I was leaning towards them being old but now I'm going the other way again.  It seems way too coincidental and it's really eerie or something if this was done before Chi's death.  "Ride" can have a symbolic and literal meaning regarding Chi.  I just thought about that today.  This and some of the vocals being reminiscent of DE/KNY.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: bewareofrats on Apr 28, 2014, 02:32 AM
"Smile
You're born again"

"You want go for a ride?
It's over"

Ok, these lines are starting to convince me that these vocals/lyrics were done after Chi's death.  I was leaning towards them being old but now I'm going the other way again.  It seems way too coincidental and it's really eerie or something if this was done before Chi's death.  "Ride" can have a symbolic and literal meaning regarding Chi.  I just thought about that today.  This and some of the vocals being reminiscent of DE/KNY.

Yeah...maybe the vocals were done afterwards. I originally thought the song was done as a tribute, maybe to be a bonus track on Eros or a lone single. I don't know though, in interviews it didn't seem like Chino was willing to alter the material as it was when Chi's accident occurred. However, one of Eros' songs(Dallas) had a mid-tempo sound reminiscent of Minerva(according to wikipedia), and I personally think Smile fits that. Also, the lyrics also could have been about a stripper or something(according to many one of Eros' themes was sensuality). Iunno, its cool how Deftones' lyrics can be interpreted in different ways

DeftonesNZ

I don't think it is post accident, Chino uses that kind of imagery alot in his songs just like how he uses waves and the ocean (Cherry Waves,Sextape) alot he also uses vehicles or being transportation (BQAD,Passenger,Rosemary) I think it's a bit of his nu-wave influences like Depeche Mode coming through so it's likely atleast one song on that record would use that imagery, I bet there's also one using the water imagery. Same thing for the theme of it Chino's lyrics often seem to be about death/loss and rebirth so I'm guessing atleast one of the songs on Eros would cover that, chances are it was why this song was choosen for the occasion.

bewareofrats

Yeah, you very well may be right.  And I wouldn't really think Chino would alter the Eros songs as they were.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah they seem pretty set on keeping it as a snap shot of that time as they say, on a side note it's really cool as a fan to hear this because you can hear the SNW sound but with signs of what was to come with DE, personally i feel like the mix between the two is perfect on this song, the guitars aren't dumbed down like DE it's refreshing to hear a song where Steph isn't just using his 8 for powerchords and I like him and frank kind of takeover each over to add more aggression or slow it down again.Overall I love the dynamics some real cool tonal shifts happening in this stuff.

Inkblades

Remember that the vocals for Eros were only about halfway done at the time of Chi's accident. It's entirely possible that Chino's vocals for Smile are new.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 28, 2014, 12:51 PM
Remember that the vocals for Eros were only about halfway done at the time of Chi's accident. It's entirely possible that Chino's vocals for Smile are new.
I believe the lyrics were done aswell and Chino was just in the process of actually recording them, who knows though

Diplo

It's very difficult to say but even if the voice is better than the two last records I still think there is a lot of similarities with DE and KNY vocal style
Any interviews speak of this ? I would like to see what they have to talk about this

Slacker

dont think the vocals got recorded later... they said they shelved everything. is just a process to bring them back, it would take a lot of effort and courage to work with it again.

likelinus

I didn't see the original post from Chino, but did he say anything about this being from Eros? Just curious why everyone is assuming that this is from Eros and not something that they've recently written knowing the anniversary was coming up. They just got back together to start writing the new album, so makes sense they would have time to out something together.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: likelinus on May 03, 2014, 03:47 AM
I didn't see the original post from Chino, but did he say anything about this being from Eros? Just curious why everyone is assuming that this is from Eros and not something that they've recently written knowing the anniversary was coming up. They just got back together to start writing the new album, so makes sense they would have time to out something together.

When he first uploaded it the title of the video was "deftones smile eros"

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Bifrost

WOW, I just listened to it for the first time...

-at first I was just in total shock then I started to feel so nostalgic, just that old Chi and Terry Date vibe, man as much I love Sergio that old vibe will always be the deftones....

Man Chi, I miss your sound! RIP Brother... this is awesome and sad at the same time  :-\

bewareofrats

True that man.  At first I was like "what's the big deal about them having a different bassist?" and, "like there's a special vibe that will really be noticeably gone" but I am starting to notice it more and more.  Smile and many other later Deftones songs definitely has a quite different vibe compared to DE and KNY, not just in the vocal department.  Not that Sergio isn't a fine bassist, but like you said, Chi and that other vibe will always be Deftones.

rainnyx4

Hey guys, this song isn't that great.  It's like a lot of stuff from that era, a good idea but not fully fleshed out.

Diplo

Quote from: bewareofrats on May 08, 2014, 08:17 AM
True that man.  At first I was like "what's the big deal about them having a different bassist?" and, "like there's a special vibe that will really be noticeably gone" but I am starting to notice it more and more.  Smile and many other later Deftones songs definitely has a quite different vibe compared to DE and KNY, not just in the vocal department.  Not that Sergio isn't a fine bassist, but like you said, Chi and that other vibe will always be Deftones.

For me Vega doesn't change something or add anything, Chi was really present in the vibe of all deftones song, I saw it right after having listening to DE.
And Vega doesn't play with his fingers... I don't really like that.

beansandcornbread

Quote from: Diplo on May 08, 2014, 05:05 PM
Quote from: bewareofrats on May 08, 2014, 08:17 AM

For me Vega doesn't change something or add anything, Chi was really present in the vibe of all deftones song, I saw it right after having listening to DE.
And Vega doesn't play with his fingers... I don't really like that.

Some of the Eros clips showed Chi playing in the studio with a pick.  Doesn't matter much to me.

pixElsblUr

thanks for the rip and upload guys, very much appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

III

As a bass player, I personally play with my fingers. It does make a difference in sound. I only really use it if I literally cant play as fast as I need to, which isn't very often. So, there might've been a song that was too fast for him to play with his fingers on. But that's just my thoughts on it.

Teknoman

I play bass too and playing with fingers does makes a difference indeed, when you play with pick the sound has more attack and sharpness and with fingers its deeper and smoother.

Of course you can use EQ, compressors, etc to make one style sound like the other but IMO top bassist (or at least the one I look up to) play with fingers.
-Chi Cheng (Deftones)
-Les Claypool (Primus)
-Rob Trujillo (Metallica)
-Tim Commerford (Rage Against The Machine)
-Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
-Scott Reeder (Kyuss)

And I saw a Premier Guitar interview on youtube were Sergio talks about his current gear (2013) and he said that he plays with fingers in some occasions but he prefers picks for rock/metal music.

Found it...
Rig Rundown - Deftones' Stephen Carpenter & Sergio Vega

I make music too

Diplo